Coconut Oil, Skin Saturation, Unsaturated Fat to Saturated

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This might be a silly question but it has been on my mind lately.

If you apply coconut oil to your skin, when it soaks in, can it change an unsaturated fat to a saturated? I am hoping yes, but am thinking its probably no.

Also, another silly question while I am at it.

Do calories count(not that I count calories) when you apply it to your skin?

Thanks for your help.

Mittir

4peatssake

Re: Coconut Oil, Skin Saturation, Unsaturated Fat to Saturat

I have a really hard time trusting "scientific" studies.

Especially ones from institutions such as the "Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Catania, Italy."

This is one of the main reason why I study the work of Ray Peat. If the medical and scientific communities were not completely corrupted and being financed by Big Pharma, life would be so much easier and having access to the truth, not to mention healthy food, water and air supplies, would not even be a consideration. It would be simple and natural.

Words like "supplements" would not even exist as our diet would provide all that is needed.

One can dream, right? :roll:

What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for.

Mittir

Sorry, i posted the wrong url for abstract. The address for the abstract should be
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16269830
The address for the full study is correct.
Name of the study is "Transcutaneous absorption of topically massaged oil in neonates."

J

j.

4peatssake said:
I have a really hard time trusting "scientific" studies.

Especially ones from institutions such as the "Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Catania, Italy."

This is one of the main reason why I study the work of Ray Peat. If the medical and scientific communities were not completely corrupted and being financed by Big Pharma, life would be so much easier and having access to the truth, not to mention healthy food, water and air supplies, would not even be a consideration. It would be simple and natural.

Words like "supplements" would not even exist as our diet would provide all that is needed.

One can dream, right? :roll:

What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for.

This is really just a rant and rave type of post that says nothing about the study and why it should be disregarded nor does it illuminate any aspect of the discussion at hand.

4peatssake

That's your opinion j.

I am anti establishment. So is Ray Peat.
I don't trust studies funded by Big Pharma and said so. Not sure why you have a problem with that but hey, that's your problem.

Turns out Mittir posted the wrong abstract. As soon as I saw who funded it, I didn't go any further. I don't trust it. Period.

I don't defend this culture and question everything. I don't give two hoots what you think - you defend this culture all the time - but I do very strongly object to you trying to prevent me expressing it.

Sorry Charlie, don't mean to derail this thread but I will defend my right to express my views about a study posted right in the same thread where the study was posted.

I sure would hate to see this become the PubMed forum rather than the Ray Peat forum.

J

j.

An argument would be nice, rather than just hysterical accusations.

Jenn

Um, to answer the question.....

From personal experience, coconut oil on MY skin over my whole body (not just arms and face) causes increase in body temperature and satiation throughout the day and increased weight loss. How that translates into calories, I don't know. I am not really a believer in counting calories. The form the calories come in make such a HUGE difference in weight loss or gain, the colorie itself doesn't seem as relevant.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Mittir said:
Sorry, i posted the wrong url for abstract. The address for the abstract should be
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16269830
The address for the full study is correct.
Name of the study is "Transcutaneous absorption of topically massaged oil in neonates."

Mittir, thank you. So it looks like it does indeed add good stuff to the body. Just wondering if it could possibly turn an unsaturated fat, to saturated?

Jenn said:
Um, to answer the question.....

From personal experience, coconut oil on MY skin over my whole body (not just arms and face) causes increase in body temperature and satiation throughout the day and increased weight loss. How that translates into calories, I don't know. I am not really a believer in counting calories. The form the calories come in make such a HUGE difference in weight loss or gain, the colorie itself doesn't seem as relevant.

I have been slathering it all over my body lately, did not notice the differences you mentioned but I will try to be more aware of that. Thanks Jenn. :hattip

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Just wondering if it could possibly turn an unsaturated fat, to saturated?
I think it's a really good question to ask Ray Peat and I don't doubt it works this magic topically as well.

Ray Peat said:
Coconut oil serves several purposes. Its butyric acid is known to increase T3 uptake by glial cells. It has a general pro-thyroid action, for example by diluting and displacing antithyroid unsaturated oils, its short- and medium-chain fatty acids sustain blood sugar and have antiallergic actions, and it protects mitochondria against stress injury.
I started using coconut oil solely on my skin about 6 months before coming across Ray Peat. I noticed its benefits immediately in producing smooth, crystal clear and clean skin and it made me feel really good and energized.

I was unaware of all of its tremendous benefits, however, until I began reading Ray's work.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Thanks for that quote 4ps! Diluting and displacing is the answer I was looking for. :hattip

Mittir

The first study shows omega 6 rich safflower oil increased blood omega 6 level and
coconut oil increased saturated fat level significantly and it also changed the
ratio of fats.. Once it reaches blood stream it can be used as energy by cells.
So it should be considered as calorie intake.
They measured total saturated fat instead of individual fatty acids.
RP commented that PUFA is absorbed through skin. In another study they found
fat with 2 double bonds has higher absorption rate than single double bond.
This shows that with increasing unsaturation skin absorption is also increasing.
I think someone asked on forum before about PUFA in skin care product.
It seems like only butter and coconut oil are safe for skin.
http://www.indianpediatrics.net/mar2005/mar-255-258.htm

4peatssake

Jenn said:
I was not aware than coconut oil changed unsaturated fat into saturated, only that it protected from damage from PUFAS.
I'm not sure it actually does that, rather, Peat is saying it dilutes and displaces the PUFAs.
I think that this is probably how it changes the fat ratios mentioned in the study Mittir posted.

HDD

I was about to make some more tallow cream but will be going back to coconut oil. Such a bonus to skin care!