Coconut Oil Reduces DHT Orally?

What should i do with my coconut oil consumption?

• Cut it out completely

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Consume as much as you want, its safe

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Reduce the consumption of it below 30g

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Reduce the consumption of it below 20g

• Reduce the consumption of it below 10g

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 50g a day is safe

• Total voters

Steve123

I consume upwards of about 50g or more of refined organic coconut oil a day, other fat sources come from grass fed butter and beef fat.

I'm at a point now where i need the higher fat intake, i've tried lower fat and its not for me, plus i NEED the easy high calories fat gives while i'm trying to put weight on and doing the exercise i am doing. I actually feel pretty good at the moment, better temps etc.

Does coconut oil consumption really reduce DHT? Is it a permanent thing?

I mean i'm sure i've heard butter can reduce DHT, and if i did reduce coconut oil i would just replace it with butter so i don't know what to do.

(I had my first ever DHT test recently, after consuming coconut oil at different quantities over the last 3 years and it was about 2.5nmol/L with range of 1.14 - 4.13 nmol/L ) So not sure what my results were like before or anything or if that even is a good result).

haidut

Forum Supporter
I consume upwards of about 50g or more of refined organic coconut oil a day, other fat sources come from grass fed butter and beef fat.

I'm at a point now where i need the higher fat intake, i've tried lower fat and its not for me, plus i NEED the easy high calories fat gives while i'm trying to put weight on and doing the exercise i am doing. I actually feel pretty good at the moment, better temps etc.

Does coconut oil consumption really reduce DHT? Is it a permanent thing?

I mean i'm sure i've heard butter can reduce DHT, and if i did reduce coconut oil i would just replace it with butter so i don't know what to do.

(I had my first ever DHT test recently, after consuming coconut oil at different quantities over the last 3 years and it was about 2.5nmol/L with range of 1.14 - 4.13 nmol/L ) So not sure what my results were like before or anything or if that even is a good result).

Coconut oil, due to the significant amounts of capryclic acid in it, strongly potentiates the androgenic response to DHT. Human studies have not shown reductions in serum DHT levels, so I'd say it should actually result in a much stronger androgenic tone.
Novel phytoandrogens and lipidic augmenters from Eucommia ulmoides
"...Remarkably, combination of DHT and the E. ulmoides extract in the presence of the AR led to increases in AR-mediated reporter gene expression ranging from 112% to 204%, even at saturating levels of DHT (figure (figure8).8). This potentiating effect was a tripartite synergism between the AR protein, its cognate steroidal ligand and E. ulmoides's extract. This is highly unusual as normally, androgen-mediated AR transcriptional capacity, akin to all ligand-dependent steroid receptors, plateaus at saturating doses of its cognate ligand."

"...Subsequent 1H NMR and GC analyses of active fraction CB showed the major presence of the 8-carbon polysaturated fatty acid, caprylic acid, along with other lipids (figure (figure1313 and table table1).1). Bioassays using pure caprylic acid and other polysaturated fatty acids (PFAs) correlated with the augmenting effect of E. ulmoides on the AR (figure (figure14)14) in varying degrees. Ethanolic extract of coconut (Cocos nucifera) flesh, rich in C-8 caprylic acid and other polysaturated fatty acids [11], replicated the hormone potentiating effect of both E. ulmoides extract and pure caprylic acid in AR bioassays (data not shown).

OP
S

Steve123

Coconut oil, due to the significant amounts of capryclic acid in it, strongly potentiates the androgenic response to DHT. Human studies have not shown reductions in serum DHT levels, so I'd say it should actually result in a much stronger androgenic tone.
"...Remarkably, combination of DHT and the E. ulmoides extract in the presence of the AR led to increases in AR-mediated reporter gene expression ranging from 112% to 204%, even at saturating levels of DHT (figure (figure8).8). This potentiating effect was a tripartite synergism between the AR protein, its cognate steroidal ligand and E. ulmoides's extract. This is highly unusual as normally, androgen-mediated AR transcriptional capacity, akin to all ligand-dependent steroid receptors, plateaus at saturating doses of its cognate ligand."

"...Subsequent 1H NMR and GC analyses of active fraction CB showed the major presence of the 8-carbon polysaturated fatty acid, caprylic acid, along with other lipids (figure (figure1313 and table table1).1). Bioassays using pure caprylic acid and other polysaturated fatty acids (PFAs) correlated with the augmenting effect of E. ulmoides on the AR (figure (figure14)14) in varying degrees. Ethanolic extract of coconut (Cocos nucifera) flesh, rich in C-8 caprylic acid and other polysaturated fatty acids [11], replicated the hormone potentiating effect of both E. ulmoides extract and pure caprylic acid in AR bioassays (data not shown).

Thats brilliant! Thanks Haidut! And you don't topically is an issue either?

Do you think its the safest thing out there to use as a lubricant on the genital area?

Coconut oil does tend to dry my skin surprisingly, so i was looking at Shea butter and Aloe vera as the only other alternatives, how do they hold up? This type of Ale vera product: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NWW74HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Geronimo

Yeah, but Lauric acid, the main fatty acid in coconut oil, is a really potent 5-AR inhibitor as well, so maybe stick with MCT oil with the 8-10 chain length. I find pastured lard to easily be the most androgenic fat, probably because of its palmitate predominantly occupying the sn-2 position, but that's not proven.

Anti-androgenic activity of fatty acids - PubMed

Update Lauric acid, myristic Acid (Coconut Oil) and Hairloss

♂️ Male Hormones 101 ‍♂️ — Redding Ca Personal Trainer Dale Maynor

OP
S

Steve123

Yeah, but Lauric acid, the main fatty acid in coconut oil, is a really potent 5-AR inhibitor as well, so maybe stick with MCT oil with the 8-10 chain length. I find pastured lard to easily be the most androgenic fat, probably because of its palmitate predominantly occupying the sn-2 position, but that's not proven.

Anti-androgenic activity of fatty acids - PubMed

Update Lauric acid, myristic Acid (Coconut Oil) and Hairloss

♂️ Male Hormones 101 ‍♂️ — Redding Ca Personal Trainer Dale Maynor

So MCT oil does not have Lauric acid in it? Why doesn't it get recommended more here if thats the case

Geronimo

So MCT oil does not have Lauric acid in it? Why doesn't it get recommended more here if thats the case
I honestly don't know. It's significantly more expensive than coconut oil. I'm sure that's one reason. I've seen convincing theories that the phenotypical androgenicity of African men is due to sorghum (enhances dht) and palm oil being large parts of the diet, and the low androgenicity of Asian cultures is due to rice (bran reduces dht) and coconut oil.

OP
S

Steve123

I honestly don't know. It's significantly more expensive than coconut oil. I'm sure that's one reason.

Well i've actually got a big bottle of it that i forgot about so definitely going to start using it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So all this fuss about coconut oil reducing DHT comes directly from Lauric acid, and theres nothing else in coconut oil that causes this effect?

Should imagine MCT oil is better topically than coconut oil to then?

Geronimo

Well i've actually got a big bottle of it that i forgot about so definitely going to start using it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So all this fuss about coconut oil reducing DHT comes directly from Lauric acid, and theres nothing else in coconut oil that causes this effect?

Well I don't know much about mct oil. It might be a total mess lol. But for the coconut oil/dht issue, it seems an appropriate workaround.

Jing

So would MCT oil achieve this effect?

mrchibbs

MCT oil can bring its own problems in terms of irritating the digestive tract and promoting allergies.

It's a synthetic compound after all.

The safest is hydrogenated coconut oil, and the lauric acid has other germicidal benefits which I think should not be discounted.

IVILA

Lauric acid is a 5-AR inhibitor in high amounts. It's also found in saw palmetto I believe, which is one of the reasons why it inhibits the enzyme. I would not eat too much coconut oil, plus it's very high in fat so it can easily go overboard.