Coconut Oil Reduced DHT By Inhibiting 5-ar?

Zachs

This was something I researched a bit a few years ago when first learning about Ray Peat and his affinity for coconut oil. I actually asked him this question but he seemed to not know the answer.

Lauric acid among other fatty acids is known for blocking the conversion of DHT by inhibiting 5-ar. Since coconut oil is about half lauric acid, I'm wondering if eating a lot of coconut oil would have a negative effect on DHT levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19353546
Thoughts?

DankMemes

I am also interested in this. My understanding is that coconut oil raises total testosterone, so even if lauric acid reduces some conversion to DHT, the net total might be the same or even higher.

Currently I'm going up to 100g a day of coconut oil in attempt to heal my liver, so this is a little concerning.

jaguar43

Zachs said:
post 117199 This was something I researched a bit a few years ago when first learning about Ray Peat and his affinity for coconut oil. I actually asked him this question but he seemed to not know the answer.

Lauric acid among other fatty acids is known for blocking the conversion of DHT by inhibiting 5-ar. Since coconut oil is about half lauric acid, I'm wondering if eating a lot of coconut oil would have a negative effect on DHT levels.

Thoughts?

They are really referring to the Prostate-specific antigen. The testosterone that "attaches" to the prostate receptor. Not your total testosterone only in the prostate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suikerbuik

jag2594 said:
post 117303
Zachs said:
post 117199 This was something I researched a bit a few years ago when first learning about Ray Peat and his affinity for coconut oil. I actually asked him this question but he seemed to not know the answer.

Thoughts?

They are really referring to the Prostate-specific antigen. The testosterone that "attaches" to the prostate receptor. Not your total testosterone only in the prostate.

They way I read it is that testosterone is converted to DHT by 5-AR, which is more potent than the former in binding the androgen receptor, which transcbribes for the prostate specific antigen. Hence a decrease in prostate specific antigen suggests less DHT and therefore a reduction in 5-AR function.

I am not that much informed nor know how well this is study controlled, but this stuff is generally very complex! Interesting and thanks for bringing this up though, it's good to be aware that fats are more than just energy sources :)

T

tca300

I asked Ray about this a while back and he said " I think the body compensates when something is steadily in the diet. ". So maybe short term it will lower 5-AR but over the long run the body will upregulate it back to normal.

Suikerbuik

OP
Zachs

Zachs

When I think of the cultures that eat the most coconut I think of Pacific islanders and thailand. Pacific islanders ate a lot of coconut and also used the oils as skin protection from the sun.. they were naturally big, strong and heavily muscled. Thai on the other hand has probably the most feminine men on the planet in terms of male characteristics. There are other differences though like total amount of animal consumption, especially seafood.

Neither grow much facial hair or body hair I believe...

Lol, just semi educated rambling.

Dayman

Zachs said:
post 117337 When I think of the cultures that eat the most coconut I think of Pacific islanders and thailand. Pacific islanders ate a lot of coconut and also used the oils as skin protection from the sun.. they were naturally big, strong and heavily muscled. Thai on the other hand has probably the most feminine men on the planet in terms of male characteristics. There are other differences though like total amount of animal consumption, especially seafood.

Neither grow much facial hair or body hair I believe...

Lol, just semi educated rambling.

here is one factor the staple of rice vs staples of breadfruit, yams, taro, coconut, sweet potato, and cassava.
Taro seems to be a popular thing attributed to Pacific Islanders size, not sure if it has been proven.
also Chili vs no chili, vegetable oil vs not?
again not sure if there is any credence to these, just rambling also

T

tca300

Suikerbuik said:
post 117316 Yeah likely. But does that take days, months, years or even generations? Possibly all of them. Normal doesn't necessarily mean optimal too.
I am not against coconut oil, I just don't see it as a miracle substance.

By the way, as everyone is familiar with down syndrome being caused by trisomy of chr. 21. Now look at the karygram of LNCaP cells: http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/dissertationen/kaiser-simone-2004-06-10/HTML/kaiser2_html_414e96ff.png.
Don't eat it then. Or take things that increase 5-AR.

Suikerbuik

tca300 said:
post 117466
Don't eat it then. Or take things that increase 5-AR.

That’s the point I tried to make. I do eat it.
But I also would no be surprised if people raised on coconut fat for generations handle it better, for w/e reason.

The second point, in fact, was to provide information to question aspects of the study. Think in structure rather than terms.

D

Deleted member 5487

Potentially combat it with Creatine and glycine. I experience a noticable reduction in allo-pregnenolone from CO, not an allergic reaction either. Same. I have to get fat from heavy cream now since my diet is largely fruit/veggies. Diary also seems much more fattening.

D

Deleted member 5487

It does, quite noticeably for me.

Considering Anti-Depressants crucial pathway is through 5-ar and allopregnenolone. anything over tiny doses of CO, even filtered/flavorless, leads to malise and lower functioning.

I just orded some c8-c10 only MCT to see if there are any benefits. I Find MCT in Coffee w/ simple sugar to be the easiest fueld to proccess and greatly increases one caffeine tolerance and metabolic rate, after a meal.