Coconut Oil Mayonaisse

BingDing

Two local grocery stores here in Nashville are now carrying Chosen Foods brand CO mayonnaise. It is delicious! Seems pretty clean from the label.

zewe

I make my own mayo with olive oil.

Sunny Jack

Sounds great. While it can be fun to make things from scratch, it is always nice to find a convenient readymade source of condiments.

In the UK there is Chosen Foods coconut oil mayonnaise, only £8 for almost 20 servings. There is clearly a market out there for such products.

There should be a nice recipe for this in an old thread under Recipes.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

@Such_Saturation, the problem with making CO mayo the normal way is if you put it in the fridge (or the temp goes below 76F) the CO solidifies and the emulsion breaks. I tried it early on and ended up with a jar of oil and a whitish snot, LOL.

I've made mayo with macadamia nut oil and with MCT that turned out pretty good. But I think CO is the better choice of fats.

@zewe I don't mean to be a pill but it is worth checking your Olive Oil to make sure it's good. Olive Oil is much like CO, if you put it in the fridge it should solidify or at least turn a milky white color. Much of the OO sold is really canola oil with flavorings; just a heads up since low PUFA is so important for good health.

Agree with @Sunny Jack

zewe

@zewe I don't mean to be a pill but it is worth checking your Olive Oil to make sure it's good. Olive Oil is much like CO, if you put it in the fridge it should solidify or at least turn a milky white color. Much of the OO sold is really canola oil with flavorings; just a heads up since low PUFA is so important for good health.]

I'm already hep to that, BingDing, but thank you.

Hey, I've got a question I'm ignorant on: How do you guys get the hyperlink @anybody's name?

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Cool @zewe On my machine I just type @ and the first few letters and the name pops up and I click on it. Shows as a hyperlink when I preview it.

@Such_Saturation, the problem with making CO mayo the normal way is if you put it in the fridge (or the temp goes below 76F) the CO solidifies and the emulsion breaks. I tried it early on and ended up with a jar of oil and a whitish snot, LOL.

I've made mayo with macadamia nut oil and with MCT that turned out pretty good. But I think CO is the better choice of fats.

@zewe I don't mean to be a pill but it is worth checking your Olive Oil to make sure it's good. Olive Oil is much like CO, if you put it in the fridge it should solidify or at least turn a milky white color. Much of the OO sold is really canola oil with flavorings; just a heads up since low PUFA is so important for good health.

Agree with @Sunny Jack
But it should be fine outside the fridge if made with coconut oil, no? At least under 25ºC. I’m more impressed that it doesn’t separate gravitationally when made without an emulsifier or sonicator. The fat in macadamia may not be as perfect as coconut, but it’s still awesome; the bigger problem would be the cost I think. And the taste which may not fit a mayo, but you would have to tell me about that.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

:thumbsup: @zewe

@Such_Saturation, definitely works if you keep it above 76. All three taste pretty good IMO, it's kind of amazing that an egg and some mustard can turn oil into something that great.

Hey @Amazoniac, thanks for the nod. I try to follow your silly musings sometimes. Six years on with RP and I'm pretty solid.

There are some very confiding Guinean Dolphins in Paramaribo, Suriname if anyone gets the chance to visit. A hard core birding trip to the Dominican Republic was somewhat challenging in February, but successful. April was an incredibly pleasant boat trip in the Maldives, snorkeling the coral reefs and seeing hundreds of whales and dolphins. And falling for a lovely woman from the UK.

So I am thankful for my blessings....and wish everyone the best on their journey.

Love, BD