Coconut Oil Lowers Cholesterol?

EndAllDisease

One of the most corporately-polluted areas of research I think is dietary fats.

I've heard and read Ray mention many times that coconut oil, by diluting the serum concentration of unsaturated fats, boosts thyroid function. In theory it makes perfect sense, and I think it's probably true, but I need to see the evidence.

A pubmed search for "coconut oil thyroid" didn't render any studies that concluded coconut oil boosted thyroid, and one study even concluded "Coconut oil generally raised total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol to a greater extent than cis unsaturated plant oils." (Source:Coconut oil consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in humans. - PubMed - NCBI) If coconut oil boosted thyroid, then in theory, it would lower cholesterol because it would be turned into pregnenolone by the thyroid.

Can anybody show me some scientific evidence showing coconut oil boosts thyroid function?
@haidut @ecstatichamster @charlie

Tarmander

My personal experience has been using lots of coconut oil almost always raises my cholesterol.

Edit: Which isn't a bad thing

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

1. A study published in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology in 2012 looked at the effects related to lipids in pre-menopausal Phillipino women. Researchers admitted that "Coconut oil is a common edible oil in many countries, and there is mixed evidence for its effects on lipid profiles and cardiovascular disease risk" and results showed "Dietary coconut oil intake was positively associated with high density lipoprotein cholesterol" and "was not significantly associated with low density lipoprotein cholesterol or triglyceride values." This study seems inconclusive, allegedly raising one and not effecting the other.
    (Source: Coconut oil is associated with a beneficial lipid profile in pre-menopausal women in the Philippines. - PubMed - NCBI)

2. A 2010 study investigated the effects of Coconut oil on lipid parameters in diabetic rats and reported that the rats fed coconut oil "exhibited a significant decrease in the total cholesterol and non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol." This one would be evidence of lowering cholesterol but it's the only one I could find, I feel a lot more should be out there.
    (Source: Effect of saturated fatty acid-rich dietary vegetable oils on lipid profile, antioxidant enzymes and glucose tolerance in diabetic rats. - PubMed - NCBI)

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

My personal experience has been using lots of coconut oil almost always raises my cholesterol.
Edit: Which isn't a bad thing

Interesting!
What do you think is the mechanism behind coconut oil raising your cholesterol?