Coconut Oil Leads To Dementia?

i hope this one i use is ok

DSC04071.JPG

Travis

i hope this one i use is ok

View attachment 8288
As long as it isn't hydrogenated I think you should be fine—as far as micron‐sized metal particles are concerned.

I just found some reliable numbers for the NADH kinetic isotope effects of hydride (∶H) transfer. The first two that I saw gave values of 4.0 and 5.0, one on morphinone reductase and the other on alcohol dehydrogenase. A physical‐chemical study using an electrode was able to measure this directly and had come to the figure of 4.2.

'Combining our results from the experiments for [²H–²H]NADH and [¹H–²H]NADH, we obtain estimates for the primary and secondary kinetic isotope effects of
4.2 and 0.91. This value for the primary kinetic isotope effect is within the range of those reported in the literature for the reactions of NADH with a variety of two-electron oxidants in homogeneous solution [8,11-13] and confirms that transfer of H from the NADH to the polymer occurs in the rate-limiting step within the reaction complex.' ―Bartlett

And he cites four other studies which approximate this value, none of which are the two that I had mentioned above. This makes a total of at‐least six enzymatic studies conforming to this electrochemical one, giving a high degree of confidence to a value between 4–5.

The study linked below, though done on plants, is very good; it gives indisputable evidence of an increase in metabolism. It had measured increased O₂ uptake, increased fluorescence, increased intracellular pH, and an acidification of the extracellular fluid; the last two results can be explained by an increased efflux of H⁺ to the exterior—perhaps mediated by ATP‐based kinetic isotope effects. I think this is a powerful study since it seems to represent 'pure science' completely divorced from any financial or fame considerations you might expect from human or rat cancer studies. I mean, its just a simple plant study easy enough to reproduce that anyone would be apprehensive to give exaggerate—and with very little motive to do so.

Bartlett, Philip. "Measurement of the kinetic isotope effect for the oxidation of NADH at a poly (aniline)-modified electrode." Journal of the American Chemical Society (2003)
Laskay, Gábor. "Reduced Deuterium Concentration of Water Stimulates O₂ Uptake and Electrogenic H⁺ Efflux in the Aquatic Macrophyte Elodea Canadensis." Japanese Journal of Deuterium Science (2001)

Last edited:

Dave Clark

FYI, just found out that in some places it is actually illegal to own a still, even if you're not distilling alcohol. I guess their motto is "guilty until proven innocent."
Not any water distiller depletes deuterium. Other than the John Ellis E5 water machine, I know of no other available machine that purifies water to this degree, depleting deuterium, increasing the hydrogen bond angle, etc. Also, regarding the UV light, his device uses a UV bulb at the top of the small reservoir in the machine. His machine is expensive, but ultimately cheaper than buying DDW from some of these companies selling it for 30 to $60 per liter.

michael94

does anyone know of any fully hydrogenated margerines or shortenings? in the u.s. I cant find any for sale with a cursory search

Luann

I heard the word "deuterium" for the first time today.
If it's a real hazard, and if eating foods high in it raises body levels, maybe MCT oil is a better choice than hydrogenated CO for people looking for saturated fats to eat??

stargazer1111

That study shows that the coconut oil group consumed 45% of calories as fat while the control group consumed only 13% as fat. I don't think 45% fat diet is healthy and a good basis for comparison regardless of the type of fat consumed but of those 45%, only 10% were coconut oil, while the rest of the fat is the standard fat used in rat chow, which is about 60% PUFA. So, the study should really have been titled "Adding coconut oil to high fat diet does not protect from neurodegeneration caused by PUFA contained in the diet".

"...Six months of exposure to the HFHC diet led to a significant increase in body weight compared with rats treated with the control diet. The HFHC diet used here delivers ~45% of calories from fat compared with 13% of calories from fat for the control diet. On the basis of the elevated caloric intake, it is not surprising that the HFHC diet led to an increase in total body weights. However, in our previous dietary studies, weight gain and food consumption were not significantly different between groups (Granholm et al, 2008). "

A prime example of the plethora of bad science out there and the idiots who push it because they aren't capable of critically analyzing the data.

I took a course in my master's program a couple of years ago that was newly created and specifically designed to teach up and coming scientists how to spot bull**** in science. I'm very thankful to have taken this course. We talked about how many of the studies in the most prominent journals are just garbage either due to fabrication or just terrible data anlysis.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-beware-scientific-studiesmost-wrong.html