"Coconut Oil Is Pure Poison"

Arrade

You say coconut oil "seems often", and yet you cite one study that doesn't contain the word coconut even once. Just because some of the shorter SFA produce an inhibition in vitro doesn't mean that coconut fat as a whole would have any such effect. Compared to most PUFA, which have been shown to be much more potent 5-AR inhibtors, cocnut oil is probably very much pro-dht.
I said “seems often” because of several anecdotes and general impressions from other users.
And yet here you say “most PUFAs” without giving me a single study.

D

danishispsychic

How does this disagreement between coconut oil and yourself manifest itself?
Butter is really easy on my digestion - coconut oil bloats me - I have tired and tried with it. It just got to the point that it just repulses me now. I use it on my hair though. I am not hypothyroid though either so- who knows?

michael94

Butter is really easy on my digestion - coconut oil bloats me - I have tired and tried with it. It just got to the point that it just repulses me now. I use it on my hair though. I am not hypothyroid though either so- who knows?
have u tried ghee
I felt similar to you with regards to butter, but then ghee which is clarified butter really irritated me. So I rhink it is the other compounds in butter and not just the fats that synergize for u

OP
Jon

Jon

have u tried ghee
I felt similar to you with regards to butter, but then ghee which is clarified butter really irritated me. So I rhink it is the other compounds in butter and not just the fats that synergize for u

@danishispsychic i had seen you elude to having stomach issues in the past on another thread, I know coconut oil is anti bacterial and has been correlated to improve the microbiome. @micheal94 ghee is purported to have similar anti bacterial properties to coconut oil sobim wondering is what you're both experiencing is pathogenic die off?

michael94

@danishispsychic i had seen you elude to having stomach issues in the past on another thread, I know coconut oil is anti bacterial and has been correlated to improve the microbiome. @micheal94 ghee is purported to have similar anti bacterial properties to coconut oil sobim wondering is what you're both experiencing is pathogenic die off?

No it wasnt that, just an immune response to not being able to digest the fat, And I believe the methyl lysine and other compounds in butter may have some compensating effects

OP
Jon

Jon

No it wasnt that, just an immune response to not being able to digest the fat, And I believe the methyl lysine and other compounds in butter may have some compensating effects

Very interesting. Thanks for the input!

tara

You don't become a Harvard professor of epidemiology by going against the grain.
That's a good point. No point in personal attacks; she's playing a role in a larger system.

michael94

Very interesting. Thanks for the input!
I forget what thread it was but theres something butter is extremely high in thats unrelated to the fatty acids. It seems to have negative effects or positive depending on situation but I really cant remember what the thread was .. dang

OP
Jon

Jon

I forget what thread it was but theres something butter is extremely high in thats unrelated to the fatty acids. It seems to have negative effects or positive depending on situation but I really cant remember what the thread was .. dang

I do know butter is high in butyrate (butyrate was first discovered in butter, hence the name). Butyric acid is HIGHLY anti inflammatory and anti blood triglyceride. I believe there's a study out there that showed butyric acid correlated with muscles cells consuming blood lipids and subsequently enhanced insulin sensitivity. Ill look for the study

Lauric acid was active on 5alphaR1 (IC(50)=17+/-3 microg/ml) and 5alphaR2 (IC(50)=19+/-9 microg/ml)

Inhibition of type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase activity by free fatty acids, active ingredients of Permixon. - PubMed - NCBI

Coconut oil seems often to be anti-dht. I'm not supporting the notion of cardiovascular disease from it
Natural 5AR inhibitors like coconut oil, zinc, provide effective moderate inhibition without shutting down 5AR contrary to drugs.

You will know when you are over inhibiting, when you grow breasts:

Over-inhibition of 5AR decreases the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) resulting in increased levels of testosterone. The consequent aromatization of testosterone into estradiol may cause gynecomastia, a known side effect of 5AR inhibitor drugs.

OP
Jon

Jon

Natural 5AR inhibitors like coconut oil, zinc, provide effective moderate inhibition without shutting down 5AR contrary to drugs.

Over-inhibition of 5AR decreases the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) resulting in increased levels of testosterone. The consequent aromatization of testosterone into estradiol may cause gynecomastia, a known side effect of 5AR inhibitor drugs.

Im sure this is a gross over simplification but given the model you provided above, would that suggest that minor inhibition of 5AR by coconut oil, accompanied by a diet including mushrooms and fruits known to be anti aromatase, would lead to an actual boost of testosterone without the estrogenic backlash that drugs have?

Im sure this is a gross over simplification but given the model you provided above, would that suggest that minor inhibition of 5AR by coconut oil, accompanied by a diet including mushrooms and fruits known to be anti aromatase, would lead to an actual boost of testosterone without the estrogenic backlash that drugs have?
That is so. But to have best effect you would need to be active, not sedentary, for the body to use the increased testosterone optimally.

OP
Jon

Jon

That is so. But to have best effect you would need to be active, not sedentary, for the body to use the increased testosterone optimally.

Well that I am :). Thanks General! I appreciate all your input. I love this forum lol I've learned more from the peeps here than I ever did in school.

Natural 5AR are usually non-competitive for receptor binding, drugs are very competative and highly downregulating. This natural mild downregulating of 5AR will trigger other enzymes to upregulate conversion of DHT metabolites back into DHT eventually to compensate for a net loss of DHT.
During this window you can profit from increased androgens for performance.

Arrade

Natural 5AR are usually non-competitive for receptor binding, drugs are very competative and highly downregulating. This natural mild downregulating of 5AR will trigger other enzymes to upregulate conversion of DHT metabolites back into DHT eventually to compensate for a net loss of DHT.
During this window you can profit from increased androgens for performance.
5AR is an enzyme. Never heard of it having receptors or finasteride binding to androgen receptors.
You could easily have raised estrogen, some people are resistant to gyno and it takes massive estrogen to get here.
Let’s not forget that not only is it DHT but neurosteroids that come from the 5AR

Kartoffel

Do you use deodorized coconut oil? Have you tried different brands? Non-deodorized coconut oil also upsets my stomach and I have heard the same from some people when they use coconut cream or milk.

"[...]the main problem with the unfiltered oil is that it's allergenic for many people. It also degrades quicker." Ray
I said “seems often” because of several anecdotes and general impressions from other users.
And yet here you say “most PUFAs” without giving me a single study.

If I remember it correctly, you already had this discussion with haidut and he showed you the studies.

Natural 5AR inhibitors like coconut oil

Please provide a reference for your claim that coconut oil is a natural 5AR inhibitor.

Elephanto

Zinc only inhibits 5-AR at high concentrations (human dose 50+ mg) perhaps signifying testicular toxicity. It potentiates 5-AR, testosterone, luteinizing hormone, androgen receptors and lowers estrogen receptors in normal concentrations compared to deficiency.