"Coconut Oil Is Pure Poison"

Jon

GOOD GOD....how...just how are people still buying into this bs....

A Harvard professor just busted the myth that coconut oil is good for you, calling it 'pure poison'

Anyone who feels the need or desire to bash this lady on social media by providing 14 different studies showing the benefits of coconut oil like I did...please do. Another moron with a sound bite in the AMA's back pocket probably because pufa is finally being questioned.

"if the seed-oil industry can eliminate major corporate food products that have used coconut oil for a hundred years, they certainly have the power to prevent dealers from selling a book that would affect their market more seriously."-Ray Peat

lampofred

Is there a way to see what journals she publishes into and who funds her grants? I'm just wondering if she truly believes this or if she's saying it to protect her business relationships

OP
Jon

Jon

burtlancast

"There's no study showing significant health benefits to coconut-oil consumption"...

Yep, that's the catch phrase right there.

Ah I see what they did here.

They use the very important keywords that debunk researchers use for coconut oil: myth; coconut oil; good (or healthy)
Google: "myth that coconut oil is good" and you get the article.

Wonderful way of disinformation spreading. Thanks for contaminating google with more crap. On the other side I do hope this will activate PUFA debates.

OP
Jon

Jon

"There's no study showing significant health benefits to coconut-oil consumption"...

Yep, that's the catch phrase right there.

Im very confused on how researchers who have shown beneficial effects of coconut oil haven't torn into her for blatantly lying?

It could be because her lecture was in German so it's hard to call her out for her verbatim statements, save the ones quoted by news articles, or if you speak fluent German lol.

I've bashed the university hard on social media that put in her lecture series and I'm considering writing her an email but not sure how much good it will do being that she speaks German and no one will see it but her.

Just infuriates me because we're at a tipping point of the social stigma for a couple nutritional fallacies and then you have morons like this lady. But then again there was this article posted today:
Low-carb diet linked to early death, medical study suggests

And even though it was self reported data, there's a glimmer of hope in there.

burtlancast

They're protecting their lies.

Just like the dentistry profession who will never admit poisoning milliards of people with amalgam fillings.

Not gonna happen.

Too big a crime.

Last edited:

Sobieski

I'm at the point now where pretty much anything that is stated in a MSM headline I instinctively dismiss. So much of it is click bait where the title often directly contradicts the content (as they know many people just read headlines) that genuine articles are hard to find. Hopefully younger generations are too savvy to fall for this ***t, though maybe I'm being optimistic.

Mauritio

She has been studying nutrition for 40 years ...
Basically she says coconut oil is unhealthy because they contain SFAs and "the fatty acids we need are unsaturated"
Its so disgusting to listen to her. 40 years for nothing. She says SFAs lead to your unavoidable death of heart disease. And that Coconut Oil creates plaques in the coronar vessels.
Also she claims that all books on coconut oil dont cite studys (just as she doesnt provide any studies) . Im only 8 minutes in and i need a break from that lady. SHE is poison and not coconut oil .

Mauritio

Correction: she actually does share some studies . I dont have the time to go through them right now . But maybe somebody else does:

1. Astrup, A, Dyerberg J, Elwood P, Hermansen K, Hu FB, Jakobsen MU, Kok FJ, Krauss RM, Lecerf JM, LeGrand P, Nestel P, Risérus U, Sanders T, Sinclair A, Stender S, Tholstrup T, Willett WC. The role of reducing intakes of saturated fat in the prevention of cardiovascular disease: where does the evidence stand in 2010? Am J Clin Nutr 2011. 93(4): 684-8.

2. Hooper L, Summerbell CD, Thompson R, Sills D, Roberts FG, Moore H, Davey Smith G. Reduced or modified dietary fat for preventing cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; (7): CD002137.

3. Siri-Tarino PW, Chiu S, Bergeron N, Krauss RM. Saturated Fats Versus Polyunsaturated Fats Versus Carbohydrates for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Treatment. Annu Rev Nutr. 2015; 35: 517–543.

4. Wang DD, Li Y, Chiuve SE, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Hu FB. Association of Specific Dietary Fats with Total and Cause-Specific Mortality. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176(8):1134–1145

5. Zong G, Li Y, Wanders AJ, Alssema M, Zock PL, Willett WC, Hu FB, Sun Q. Intake of individual saturated fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease in US men and women: two prospective longitudinal cohort studies. BMJ 2016;355:i5796

6. Jakobsen MU, Dethlefsen C, Joensen AM, Stegger J, Tjønneland A, Schmidt EB, Overvad K. Intake of carbohydrates compared with intake of saturated fatty acids and risk of myocardial
infarction: importance of the glycemic index. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(6):1764–1768.

7. Farvid MS, Ding M, Pan A, Sun Q, Chiuve SE, Steffen LM, Willett WC, Hu FB. Dietary Linoleic Acid and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies. Circulation 2014;130(18):1568-78.

Krappenschitz

just an opinion but i think all oils and fats should be limited and not seen as a required health food, rather healthier options with some added benefit of unhealthy fats

Kartoffel

Well, if the wrinkly, haggard mummy says it's true, it must be so.

Kartoffel

@Jon I am a native German speaker. Here is a part from the stuff on coconut oil beginning around 6:00. "It's all complete nonsense. Coconut oil is one of the worst foods you can eat. There is not one study that shows any beneficial effects in humans. It's even worse than lard. It's worse because it contains more saturated fatty acids, and almost no essential fats. Saturated fats clog your arteries and lead to certain death from heart disease. The more saturated fat, the more clogged your arteries will become. Coconut oil is pure poison [looks very sternly into the audience]"

Don't bother writting to her. We Germans are a very angry people, and ladies like her won't be bothered by something like scientific studies contradicting her angry statements.

Last edited:
J

jb116

Just a friendly reminder: when you guys post links to nonsense like this, you are helping their Google ratings. The better thing to do is post a text of the URL in like a code box or something and we simply copy and paste directly. This way 1) Google doesn't read it so easily and 2) it doesn't look like a backlink. Backlinks are HUGE for ranking.

L

lollipop

Just a friendly reminder: when you guys post links to nonsense like this, you are helping their Google ratings. The better thing to do is post a text of the URL in like a code box or something and we simply copy and paste directly. This way 1) Google doesn't read it so easily and 2) it doesn't look like a backlink. Backlinks are HUGE for ranking.
+1

tankasnowgod

GOOD GOD....how...just how are people still buying into this bs....

A Harvard professor just busted the myth that coconut oil is good for you, calling it 'pure poison'

Anyone who feels the need or desire to bash this lady on social media by providing 14 different studies showing the benefits of coconut oil like I did...please do. Another moron with a sound bite in the AMA's back pocket probably because pufa is finally being questioned.

"if the seed-oil industry can eliminate major corporate food products that have used coconut oil for a hundred years, they certainly have the power to prevent dealers from selling a book that would affect their market more seriously."-Ray Peat

Well, I don't know about you guys, but my go to for all hard hitting health news is obviously BUSINESS INSIDER.

It really is like they are not even trying anymore.

Truthfully, I don't trust Business Insider for honestly reporting anything that is going on with business in general or anything dealing with financial issues. They run cover for the financial crimes all the the time.

So to see them print a scary headline with literally nothing in the article to even sort of back it up on a subject that they wouldn't even purport to know about? Not shocking.

Apparently, good clickbait though! It got me to click on this thread.

B

Braveheart

:thumbsup:

OP
Jon

Jon

@Jon I am a native German speaker. Here is a part from the stuff on coconut oil beginning around 6:00. "It's all complete nonsense. Coconut oil is one of the worst foods you can eat. There is not one study that shows any beneficial effects in humans. It's even worse than lard. It's worse because it contains more saturated fatty acids, and almost no essential fats. Saturated fats clog your arteries and lead to certain death from heart disease. The more saturated fat, the more clogged your arteries will become. Coconut oil is pure poison [looks very sternly into the audience]"

Don't bother writting to her. We Germans are a very angry people, and ladies like her won't be bothered by something like scientific studies contradicting her angry statements.

Hahaha, noted. Angry German women are a loss ‍♂️

I'll remember this, thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals