Coconut Oil Inhibits 5A Reductase?

Drareg

This has been mentioned on the forum before briefly, depending on your context it may be better to use butter to cook with if you want good DHT,that is if this study is accurate.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is the benign uncontrolled growth of the prostate gland, leading to difficulty with urination. Saw palmetto lipid extracts (SPLE), used to treat BPH, have been shown to inhibit prostate 5a-reductase, and some major components, such as lauric, myristic and oleic acids also inhibit this enzyme. Coconut oil (CO) is also rich in fatty acids, mainly lauric and myristic acids. We investigated whether CO prevents testosterone-induced prostate hyperplasia (PH) in Sprague-Dawley rats. Animals were distributed into seven groups (10 rats each). A negative control group were injected with soya oil; six groups were injected with testosterone (3 mg kg(-1)) to induce PH: a positive control group, and five groups treated orally with SPLE (400 mg kg(-1)), CO or sunflower oil (SO) (400 and 800 mg kg(-1)). Treatments were given for 14 days. Rats were weighed before treatment and weekly thereafter. Rats were then killed and the prostates were removed and weighed. CO (400 and 800 mg kg(-1)), SPLE (400 mg kg(-1)) and SO at 800 mg kg(-1), but not at 400 mg kg(-1), significantly reduced the increase in prostate weight (PW) and PW:body weight (BW) ratio induced by testosterone (% inhibition 61.5%, 82.0%, 43.8% and 28.2%, respectively). Since CO and SPLE, but not SO, contain appreciable concentrations of lauric and myristic acids, these results could be attributed to this fact. In conclusion, this study shows that CO reduced the increase of both PW and PW:BW ratio, markers of testosterone-induced PH in rats.

Effects of coconut oil on testosterone-induced prostatic hyperplasia in Sprague-Dawley rats. - PubMed - NCBI

lvysaur

Coconut oil could also be reducing estrogen, which can reduce DHT formation.

Fetal Death in Mice Lacking 5a-Reductase Type 1 Caused by Estrogen Excess

5ar expression increases as an adaptive response to excess estrogen. This is also supported by the higher rate of prostate cancer in the 5ar-deficient "guevedoces", and the occurence of "post finasteride syndrome" in those who artificially inhibit 5ar to halt hair loss.

T

tca300

The most abundant fatty acids in butter, oleic, myristic and palmitic, inhibit DHT too. Not to mention it has more PUFA than coconut oil ( especially hydrogenated which has zero PUFA ) which inhibits DHT as well. There really isn't an ideal fat source for DHT production that I have found. Hydrogenated coconut oil is best for testosterone though.

ilikecats

I dont think this shows that coconut oil (or lauric acid) lowers dht. As we know dht DOES NOT cause bph (even though the mainstream medical community think it does). This probably points to evidence of the pro thyroid and therefore antiestrogenic and anti inflammatory effect of coconut oil. Probably actually increases dht (i believe hadut says that somewhere in europe DHT is prescribed for BPH). Obviously breastmilk is very rich in Lauric acid. If it did really block dht that would make breastmilk extremely problematic for babies.... which obviously its not.

ilikecats

id love to hear haiduts opinion on this. Im sensitive to dht inhibitors and i feel great with lots of coconut oil after i got passed the placebo effect (fear of dht inhibition) haha

Do you see something wrong with my reasoning? im not as knowledgeable as you or haidut but my theory seems to make sense.

No but you guys are analyzing this more than I ever could find the energy to :ss

Footscray

What exactly is hydrogenated coconut oil? Is that like what is sold here in Australia as 'copha' in a rectangle block looking like a cake of butter? That is used to make 'chocolate crackles' that we used to take to children's parties? Is that a better form of coconut oil to consume?

Stryker

What exactly is hydrogenated coconut oil? Is that like what is sold here in Australia as 'copha' in a rectangle block looking like a cake of butter? That is used to make 'chocolate crackles' that we used to take to children's parties? Is that a better form of coconut oil to consume?

the copha contains lecithin derived from soybeans , but yes its hydrogenated coconut oil and is about 98% saturated

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Some people are using coconut oil as lube(sexual) these days. Might not be great for the penis then,lady may get the benefit ,probably better than most commercial sold stuff however.

The most abundant fatty acids in butter, oleic, myristic and palmitic, inhibit DHT too. Not to mention it has more PUFA than coconut oil ( especially hydrogenated which has zero PUFA ) which inhibits DHT as well. There really isn't an ideal fat source for DHT production that I have found. Hydrogenated coconut oil is best for testosterone though.

Do you know if this will count for ghee as in clarified butter? Basically most of the fat is removed.

T

tca300

Some people are using coconut oil as lube(sexual) these days. Might not be great for the penis then,lady may get the benefit ,probably better than most commercial sold stuff however.

Do you know if this will count for ghee as in clarified butter? Basically most of the fat is removed.

Most of the fat in ghee is palmitic and Oleic, so basically the same as butter. If your trying to go for high DHT I would just try and keep your PUFA as low as possible, and keep your fat at about 25%- 35% of your basal metabolic rate, which should optimize steroid production without getting too much of the potentially DHT lowering fats.

ilikecats

Thanks.
The epigenetics implications of saturated fats reducing 5AR is facinating.
Saturated fats do not reduce 5AR. Babies get 50 percent of there macros from saturated fat in breastmilk which is rich in lauric acid which you believe reduces 5AR. If you give a baby a dht blocker they dont develop a penis. if lauric acid even slighty blocked the conversion of testosterone to dht it would be catastrophic to the development of a baby..... Coconut oil does not lower 5AR

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Saturated fats do not reduce 5AR. Babies get 50 percent of there macros from saturated fat in breastmilk which is rich in lauric acid which you believe reduces 5AR. If you give a baby a dht blocker they dont develop a penis. if lauric acid even slighty blocked the conversion of testosterone to dht it would be catastrophic to the development of a baby..... Coconut oil does not lower 5AR

Just to be clear I'm not taking a side on this,just curious for others opinions.

The penis is present at this age but not fully complete in relation to its purpose ,it's more for urinating at this age,DHT might not be needed in large amounts until puberty?
DHT has been shown to cause penis growth but only in Rats with micro penis, I'm not sure if a study has been done on humans,the rats were adult age I think.

A DHT blocker would be far more potent than food at stopping DHT.

Jayfish

If you look at the top coconut produsing countries on the world (then assuming they are also the top coconut consuming countries). Philippenes, Indonesia, Thailand, Brazil. Males are small stature, effeminate features and lack body hair and other high DHT features. Brazil and Thai are also known for their "ladyboy" population.

Could this be due the high amount of coconut consumption?

OP
Drareg

Drareg

If you look at the top coconut produsing countries on the world (then assuming they are also the top coconut consuming countries). Philippenes, Indonesia, Thailand, Brazil. Males are small stature, effeminate features and lack body hair and other high DHT features. Brazil and Thai are also known for their "ladyboy" population.

Could this be due the high amount of coconut consumption?

I doubt it, First I heard of Brazilian lady boy culture or the men having femine features.
Does Low DHT = small stature? I thought growth hormone and others would be involved.
Many small men with a lot of body hair,deep voices etc.

It's possible it's western men who have influenced the Thai ladyboy culture from moderate in society to extreme.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals