Coconut Oil Goes Rancid On My Skin, Any Ideas Why?

CecilRoids

Hey all, I've been peating for about a year now and I've noticed that when I apply coconut oil to my skin, it goes rancid and stinky within probably less than an hour.

Doesn't matter what brand I use, so my assumption is that it must be some bacteria or maybe even the acidity of my skin, I'm not sure how to remedy it.

I miss having the nice smell of coconut oil on my skin, olive oil doesn't go rancid on me but it's not quite as nice as I remember coconut oil being.

Any ideas?

OP
CecilRoids

CecilRoids

Are you sure its good oil? Getting the purified stuff?

Any brand I try including the purified stuff goes rancid, this happens to my uncle as well... have you ever heard of this happening? lol

OP
CecilRoids

CecilRoids

Anglo, and yeah, the smell is pretty bad after about an hour or two, I have to wash it off to avoid family/friends commenting.
You know its rancid due to the smell? What ethnicity are you?

Waynish

Anglo, and yeah, the smell is pretty bad after about an hour or two, I have to wash it off to avoid family/friends commenting.

No other health problems? What if it is killing something that is causing the bad smell on your skin? How's your liver? Skin is a common detox organ...

rei

Try MCT oil, if there is still some smell then it is from other sources as saturated oil won't react spontaneously.

OP
CecilRoids

CecilRoids

No other health problems? What if it is killing something that is causing the bad smell on your skin? How's your liver? Skin is a common detox organ...

I hadn't thought of that, I suppose its possible. I have not taken bloods in more than a year but I assume my liver's fine. I will occasionally get very mild dandruff but eating liver/oysters makes it disappear.

I have noticed small patches of dry/darker skin popping up in my upper thighs/groin, which is why I've assumed I have some bacterial or fungal problem.

Do you know how I could test if that is in fact what's happening?

Try MCT oil, if there is still some smell then it is from other sources as saturated oil won't react spontaneously.

I'll give it a go. Like I said, olive oil gives me no issues, and since my post I've taken quite a liking to it.

Waynish

I hadn't thought of that, I suppose its possible. I have not taken bloods in more than a year but I assume my liver's fine. I will occasionally get very mild dandruff but eating liver/oysters makes it disappear.

I have noticed small patches of dry/darker skin popping up in my upper thighs/groin, which is why I've assumed I have some bacterial or fungal problem.

Do you know how I could test if that is in fact what's happening?

I'll give it a go. Like I said, olive oil gives me no issues, and since my post I've taken quite a liking to it.
Solved? According to the Peat theory your body cannot make a saturated fat go rancid within 2h. If it can, then the saturated fat theory is clearly wrong - right? Otherwise by what mechanism could it occur?