Coconut oil for lowering blood sugar, insulin requirements, inflammation and appetite

Hans

Forum Supporter
This case report showed that coconut oil supplementation reduced this man's insulin requirements (he's a type 2 diabetic by was given insulin as well) dramatically. And when we did use insulin at his normal dose, he often experienced hypoglycemia.
The shows that coconut either improves glucose uptake, reduces lipolysis, lowers endotoxins, inflammation (by offsetting PUFAs), promotes glucose oxidation and/or lowers stress and gluconeogenesis.
The man used just 1000mg coconut oil per day.

"A 66-year-old male presented to the endocrine clinic for consultation regarding new onset hypoglycemia. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus at age 42 and was initially managed with metformin. Subsequently, insulin was added due to worsening glycemic control. His insulin regimen, until recently, consisted of NPH insulin 20 units subcutaneously twice daily and regular insulin 15 units before each meal. A few weeks prior to presentation to the endocrine clinic, he started taking coconut oil supplements because he heard about some health benefits. Specifically, he started taking a dose of 1000 mg daily. Within 1-2 days of starting the supplement, he began experiencing hypoglycemia. He denied any changes in his appetite or caloric intake. There were no other factors that would have explained his onset of hypoglycemia. Specifically, his weight, which was 253 lbs at baseline (for a body mass index of 33.5), had not changed. He did not start taking any other new medications or supplements. Based on advice from his primary care provider, he reduced his insulin doses: initially, NPH down to 15 units twice daily and then to 10 units twice daily. He then started avoiding some of the regular insulin doses. When he took regular insulin, he would have hypoglycemia at bedtime.

During his visit to the endocrine clinic, he reported a stable weight. He was experiencing hypoglycemia (defined as blood glucose below 70 mg/dL [8]) about once weekly. These episodes tended to occur after he had supper, close to bedtime. His lowest glucose reading was 50 mg/dL in the past 2 weeks. His hemoglobin A1c, a long-term measure of glycemic control, was 6.2%. This was lower than his previous level of 6.4% checked 3 months prior to starting coconut oil, despite cutting the dose of his long-acting insulin in half and occasionally skipping his meal-time insulin. His lipid levels prior to coconut oil intake were as follows: total cholesterol of 116 mg/dL, LDL of 36 mg/dL, HDL of 34 mg/dL, and triglycerides of 232 mg/dL. He was taking a statin medication before and continued to take it after initiating coconut oil. By the time he was seen in the endocrine clinic, a lipid panel was not repeated, due to short-time duration since being on the new supplement. The patient was intending to raise his coconut oil dose to 2000 mg per day and had questions regarding the effects of coconut oil on his blood glucose and implications of taking coconut oil supplementation on his diabetes management. This prompted a review of the literature as detailed in the remainder of this report.
"

There are also animal studies showing that coconut alone or with fructose doesn't cause insulin resistance, despite weight gain.

"In an attempt to better mimic a human diet-induced obesity model, one study in female Ossabaw minipigs fed a high fat diet rich in hydrogenated fats, fructose, and coconut oil surprisingly showed that despite developing obesity, those pigs manifested similar glucose concentrations and lower systemic inflammatory cytokine levels compared with controls, as well as a shift of their urogenital microbiota towards a more anti-inflammatory phenotype. It was hypothesized that coconut oil in their diet conferred those benefits"

Another study found that it's also effective at lowering fasting glucose and Hb1Ac as well as appetite.

"More recently, a randomized trial on 75 adult obese women all following a hypocaloric lifestyle modification program divided the women into 4 groups of vegetable oil supplementation: coconut, safflower, chia, and soybean. Compared to baseline, all groups saw a significant (p < 0.001) reduction in weight, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood glucose, and hemoglobin A1c and an increase in HDL cholesterol. Addition of 6 grams of coconut oil supplementation to the diet resulted in the largest decrease amongst the 4 groups in average blood glucose (−25 mg/dL vs. baseline) and in glycated hemoglobin A1c (−0.86% vs baseline). The coconut oil group also saw the greatest reduction in weight (about 8% reduction vs. baseline), with a concomitant reduction in body mass index, waist-to-height ratio, and increase in % lean mass. The coconut oil consumed about 613 less Kcal/day at the end of the study compared to baseline, which was significantly lower than the calorie reduction in the other three groups."

GenericName86

From my own experience coconut oil is amazing. Back when my health was pretty bad, I was suffering from brain fog a lot and coconut oil would help clear it up pretty quick.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Really cool man. I'm going to take some coconut oil and see if it makes a difference.

P

Peatness

Really cool man. I'm going to take some coconut oil and see if it makes a difference.
Would that amount of coconut oil increase cholesterol? I am trying to figure out why my cholesterol has increased since peating.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would that amount of coconut oil increase cholesterol? I am trying to figure out why my cholesterol has increased since peating.
It differs between individuals. Some people can eat multiple tbsps per day without an increase whereas others can eat 1 tsp and see a small increase.
Vitamin A and thyroid is needed for creating hormones from cholesterol. Do you have enough of those?
Also, excess iron and/or low copper can lead to elevated cholesterol and trigs.

Motorneuron

@Hans Is nail biting after a meal a symptom of intestinal irritation and / or histamine release? It happened to me with coconut oil but also with banana (apparently ripe)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans Is nail biting after a meal a symptom of intestinal irritation and / or histamine release? It happened to me with coconut oil but also with banana (apparently ripe)
It's a sign of excess serotonin most of the time. It could also be stress-driven, which endotoxin is known to worsen. Did you use the unrefined CO or refined CO?

P

Peatness

It differs between individuals. Some people can eat multiple tbsps per day without an increase whereas others can eat 1 tsp and see a small increase.
Vitamin A and thyroid is needed for creating hormones from cholesterol. Do you have enough of those?
Also, excess iron and/or low copper can lead to elevated cholesterol and trigs.
Thanks for your reply.
I can't work out if I have too much or too little Vitamin A. I tend to go a bit orange if I eat the carrot salad on a regular basis. I am a little low in Iron but I think copper could be low due to high fructose diet. I am now supplementing copper and tentatively using Vitamin A. Perhaps high Vitamin K2 intake increases the need for vitamin A?
I am holding off on coconut oil and eggs for now.

Nice info about coconut oil! I've been using it for the past few days. Just a little to fry my meat patties. It's interesting that I used to get a massive headache after eating coconut oil, and now I can tolerate it much better, so I'm making some metabolic progress! I'm not using the refined one, but I think I would tolerate it even better.

I tend to go a bit orange if I eat the carrot salad on a regular basis.
Have you tried taking some B12?
Perhaps high Vitamin K2 intake increases the need for vitamin A?
I know that Vit. A preserves Vit. K2, while vitamin D increases K2 usage. I don't know what effect k2 has on vitamin A.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nice info about coconut oil! I've been using it for the past few days. Just a little to fry my meat patties. It's interesting that I used to get a massive headache after eating coconut oil, and now I can tolerate it much better, so I'm making some metabolic progress! I'm not using the refined one, but I think I would tolerate it even better.
Noticed any positives yet?

Noticed any positives yet?
I think it lowered slightly the water retention in my upper legs, and it's making me have more bowel movements. My temperature has been more consistent too, it seems( I think Ray has noticed the temperature thing too when he started consuming CO).

MidBicep

I tend to have a hard time sleeping and a month ago I used to crave feta cheese at night which is extremely fatty and salty. I was cold again tonight and craving cheese but I haven't bought some in a while. I ate a flat tsp of refined coconut oil and now my hands and feet are warm again (they were cold before despite drinking sugared milk with some NDT)
I've also stopped using toothpaste and instead I do oil pulling twice a day and tongue brushing and if it dismisses the bad smells of bacteria in the mouth then I assume it can kill intestinal bacteria as well. I'll start including it more in my diet especially at night

P

Peatness

Have you tried taking some B12?

I know that Vit. A preserves Vit. K2, while vitamin D increases K2 usage. I don't know what effect k2 has on vitamin A.
My serum b12 is very high, has been for years.

I think I need to avoid carotene. Water melon, cherries, kale are full of it.

ilhanxx

I use daily 4~7 gr extra virgin coconut oil in coffee about 3 years. Sometimes I add cocoa butter. Best hack for my health. Saturated fat in coffee.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I use daily 4~7 gr extra virgin coconut oil in coffee about 3 years. Sometimes I add cocoa butter. Best hack for my health. Saturated fat in coffee.
Do you feel warmer with the cocoa butter in coffee? Every time I add create cream to my coffee I uncouple like crazy.

ilhanxx

Do you feel warmer with the cocoa butter in coffee? Every time I add create cream to my coffee I uncouple like crazy.
I feel very warmer and calmer. I add cream, stevia, cocoa butter (often with coconut oil or ghee) in coffee. this is best combination for me even on empty stomach, When my pulse rate going down, I add some Himalayan salt in coffee(for sodium depletion). Without stevia coffee make me very depressed.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I feel very warmer and calmer. I add cream, stevia, cocoa butter (often with coconut oil or ghee) in coffee. this is best combination for me even on empty stomach, When my pulse rate going down, I add some Himalayan salt in coffee(for sodium depletion). Without stevia coffee make me very depressed.
Interesting about the stevia. Have you had the coffee with sugar/honey/maple syrup instead of stevia and had the same depressing experience? Or is the bitterness just too bitter? :)

ilhanxx

Interesting about the stevia. Have you had the coffee with sugar/honey/maple syrup instead of stevia and had the same depressing experience? Or is the bitterness just too bitter? :)
I didn't even try except stevia. I drink until 10 12 cups a day, some days a lot more. As I forgot to stevia pack, I feel a bit jittery. Perhaps I get used to like this combination. I will test other sugary products.

Last edited:

Razvan

I feel the same exact effect with cocoa butter with coffee or/and aspirin. I think that the fat from the cocoa butter and chocolate is the best. It brings up my temperature like crazy.