Coconut Oil and Fructose

reaching

Is consuming coconut oil (not solely but as cooking agent or additive to other food) and fructose (fruit and/or juice) taxing on the liver?
From what I understand, coconut oil goes straight to liver to be metabolized and fructose needs to be metabolized by the liver.
Would consuming these two together be bad? Also, including the other saturated fat you would be consuming such a beef or lamb.

B

Blaze

Is consuming coconut oil (not solely but as cooking agent or additive to other food) and fructose (fruit and/or juice) taxing on the liver?
From what I understand, coconut oil goes straight to liver to be metabolized and fructose needs to be metabolized by the liver.
Would consuming these two together be bad? Also, including the other saturated fat you would be consuming such a beef or lamb.
Yes it is, but only when consumed in excess of what you can oxidize. The liver can totally handle a certain amount with no issues. As to consuming them together or not..... fats and sugars compete with each other for substrates and should be technically eaten apart due to the short term Randle cycle effect. I personally don't pay much attention to that effect and do not separate my fats and carbs if it seems like I am digesting things well. There is a prevailing opinion by some that saturated fats do not cause this issue to the degree that mono or poly unsaturated fats do, when eaten with carbs. Others hold to the notion that all fats work basically the same as pertaining to the glucose fatty-acid cycle.

Either way, the calories you can oxidize pose no great harm at all. When you eat fats and carbs in excess of what you can oxidize/metabolize, there enters the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

salvio

So the problem is avoiding to eat more energy than RMR can handle, right?

B

Blaze

So the problem is avoiding to eat more energy than RMR can handle, right?
And also avoiding those ubiquitous dietary pufas as best as you can and ingest more saturated fats. Hard to completely eliminate pufas as they are present in almost everything, even beef which many wrongly think of as a source of pure saturated fat. The only real huge source of almost pure highly saturated fat is coconut oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals