Coconut Has Zero Starch

Travis

Even though tree nuts are relatively low in starch compared to tubers and grains, they still usually have some. The only exception appears to be coconut, which has no starch at all.

I just thought that I'd mention that.

Prosper

Yeah I figured out since coconut oil doesn't have any carbs. Why would a coconut?

tara

Yeah I figured out since coconut oil doesn't have any carbs.
Oil is oil.
This logic does not work for wheatgerm and corn oil.

OP
Travis

Travis

Yeah I figured out since coconut oil doesn't have any carbs. Why would a coconut?
A coconut does have carbohydrate, only in the form of simple sugars.

coco.png

Most tree nuts, such as almonds and cashews, have starch. Even macadamia nuts have starch: Top 50 Nuts High in Starch

Just another feather in the hat for the coconut! This is the best nut for three reasons:
  • Least amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids
  • Zero starch
  • The empty shells make nice ashtrays

paymanz

Good to know,

On nutritiondata also coconut has zero starch.as I checked it now...

But if I remember correctly ray said unrefined coconut oil has some starches that may cause allergy reaction in some people,so I wondering if what he meant is some molecules similar to starches?or?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I use the coconut flour as a grain flour replacement, assuming that it has no carbs. Would Ray consider this a gut irritant since it is mostly fiber, would it increase fermentation and endotoxin?

Amazoniac

Good to know,

On nutritiondata also coconut has zero starch.as I checked it now...

But if I remember correctly ray said unrefined CO oil has some starches that may cause allergy reaction in some people,so I wondering if what he meant is some molecules similar to starches?or?
Herb Doctors: The Ten Most Toxic Things In Our Foodnew
Ray said:
The solids in coconut are very starchy and can be pretty allergenic. So I recommend using the highly filtered, deodorized form of coconut oil, which is extremely cheap. Currently, it’s about $50 per five-gallon pail, but where the aromatic delicately scented that have been filtered – some people, just a teaspoon of that can make some people very sick from an allergic reaction to the starches that are left in it.

kranum

Eating shredded coconut with my breakfast and carrots in the afternoon has been crucial for getting my bowel movements to be regular and getting rid of constipation. The coconut fiber does not seem to be digested and so to me it seems like a pretty good fiber for keeping digestion regular.

OP
Travis

Travis

[removed]

DaveFoster

Anyone who has eaten raw coconut can tell you the location of the nearest bathroom.

It seems to be less of a problem with young, fresh, soft coconut meat.

Buttercup

It might not
Have any starch,
But it's still potentially a gut irritant. I started eating a pulverised coconut each day (smashed in my nutribullet), and I thought it might be easier to
Digest if it's pulverised. Unfortunately lots of gas and feelings of discomfort. Definitely not good for my gut.

Dates also have no starch (I think lol), and will produce horrendous gut effects for me.

There are lots of other examples.

Starch is just a word. If
You tolerate the coconut ,
go nuts with it.