Coconut Flour Conversion Question

Dutchie

So after the oil question,i now have a question concerning coconutflour conversion.
Ive found a recipe i want to make but it calls for 1 1/2cup allpurpose flour,so how much wozld it take with coconutflour? As i understand its denser so youll need less of it?

Is there a general rule of thumb in regards to substituting a flour for coconutflour?

4peatssake

This is not the easiest thing to read but here goes.
To pull this up, I googled "coconut flour conversion."
chart-coconutflour.jpg

Some other good info here:
http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/how-to-use-coconut-flour-2/

Jenn

Why coconut flour? It's very expensive (at least in my area), has very little nutritional availability, requires more egg (which you have expressed an interest in avoiding) and can be hard to work with.

OP
D

Dutchie

Its the only flour alternative i have,as i cant do grain/starchflours

OP
D

Dutchie

Well,I tried to make the gingerbread thing today and yet again ended up throwing the batter...or what was supposed to be batter...away. I'm seriously getting frustrated.

I dont have any kitchenmachines so have to try it by hand,but the flour gets all lumpy and I cant get it to spread smoothly.

So,yet again a failed experiment but more importantly no food/stock to take to work....so I'll probably gonna fail big time again.
Nice....

HDD

Dutchie, do you eat cheese?

I take OJ, OJ jello, cheese, applesauce, carrots, coke, chicharrones, chocolate to work.

You can do this!

OP
D

Dutchie

Haagendazendiane said:
Dutchie, do you eat cheese?

I take OJ, OJ jello, cheese, applesauce, carrots, coke, chicharrones, chocolate to work.

You can do this!

Yes,I sometimes eat a bit of cheese but that particular cheese I can only get at the Tuesday market....and I'm at work then.
But.....this job also seemed to have gone down the drain in a very shitty way.

HDD

Sorry to hear that, Dutchie. Hope you are having a better day today.

OP
D

Dutchie

Haagendazendiane said:
Sorry to hear that, Dutchie. Hope you are having a better day today.

Thanx 4 hoping,but no I'm not,I guess I'll just have to start 'practising' living on the streets cause that's probably where I'm gonna end up.
I really really hate my life&myself,bc nothing absolutely nothing that I want comes my way.

tomisonbottom

Why coconut flour? It's very expensive (at least in my area), has very little nutritional availability, requires more egg (which you have expressed an interest in avoiding) and can be hard to work with.

What would you suggest for flour jenn?

aliciahere

Unfortunately any recipe that calls for regular flour is designed for regular flour :( all of the substitute flours work different. Look for recipes that call for coconut flours (ie: paleo recipes). The only thing that I have found that coconut flower works great for is loafs like banana bread/zucchini bread. I have yet to find a good recipe for cookie cutter style cookie batter. Rice flour doesn't stick together well enough so you need to add gums to get a nice cookie :/

Gluten free baking is a LOT of trial and error. Good luck. Try to get outside and so something that makes you genuinely happy. Make sure you get enough callories! Eat something you enjoy :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals