Cocoa (theobromin) For Remineralizing Teeth

Inaut

I need to have this disclaimer on every one of my posts. Sorry if this has been touched upon already in the forums (as I suspect it has)

The remineralization potential of cocoa (Theobroma cacao) bean extract to increase the enamel micro hardness
Article (PDF Available) · July 2017 with 368 Reads
DOI: 10.24198/pjd.vol29no2.13614
Cite this publication
Abstract
Introduction: Remineralization is the process of returning mineral ions into a hydroxyapatite structure characterized by mineral deposition on the enamel surface. The presence of mineral deposition would affect the micro hardness of tooth enamel. The use of fluorine as remineralization agent with side effects such as fluorosis. Cocoa bean extract contains theobromin that can be used as an alternative remineralization ingredients. The objectives was to determine micro hardness email after remineralization using cocoa bean extract as natural material and to compare with fluorine use as synthetic material. Methods: Thirty-six maxillary first premolar tooth crown was cut and planted in the epoxy resin. Teeth were then immersed in demineralization solution at pH 4 for 6 hours. The sample were divided into 2 groups, 18 for the fluorine group and the remaining group of cocoa extract. Vickers microhardness test was used before treatment, after demineralized and after remineralization. Results: Enamel microhardness value before treatment in the fluorine group average value was 376.17 VHN and the cocoa extract group was 357.33 VHN. After demineralization in fluorine group was 268,13 VHN and cocoa extract group was 235,93 VHN. After remineralization in fluorine group was 321,08 VHN and cocoa extract group was 293,86 VHN. The results of the analysis showed that the level of micro hardness email after remineralization was not significantly different in two groups (p > 0.05). Conclusions: Cocoa extract is able to increase the microhardness of enamel so it can act as a substitution for fluorine remineralization.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...extract_to_increase_the_enamel_micro_hardness

YourUniverse

My teeth were getting really sensitive, and it felt like I was "teething". Always felt the need to bite down and clench, which would let me feel parts of my teeth/gums that were hurting, and would constantly be running my tongue down the areas where I felt irritation. I would use CloSys, listerine, and a fluoride rinse a few times weekly, and otherwise ate Peaty. Still, my teeth were starting to give me trouble.

About a month ago, I decided to eat milk chocolate every day. A large portion for breakfast and a medium-small portion for lunch.

In this last month, my teeth feel incredible. There is no irritation requiring "teething" in order to soothe. I dont feel the urge to run my tongue down my gums/teeth to find areas of irritation. And I think my teeth are whiter.

I still use the mouth washes above, but your post makes it make more sense that chocolate is helping with my teeth.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I’m starting to rinse with some cocoa powder in addition to drinking chocolate milk. Will see what happens as well

Vinny

I’m starting to rinse with some cocoa powder in addition to drinking chocolate milk. Will see what happens as well
Interesting!

Peater Piper

My teeth were getting really sensitive, and it felt like I was "teething". Always felt the need to bite down and clench, which would let me feel parts of my teeth/gums that were hurting, and would constantly be running my tongue down the areas where I felt irritation. I would use CloSys, listerine, and a fluoride rinse a few times weekly, and otherwise ate Peaty. Still, my teeth were starting to give me trouble.

About a month ago, I decided to eat milk chocolate every day. A large portion for breakfast and a medium-small portion for lunch.

In this last month, my teeth feel incredible. There is no irritation requiring "teething" in order to soothe. I dont feel the urge to run my tongue down my gums/teeth to find areas of irritation. And I think my teeth are whiter.

I still use the mouth washes above, but your post makes it make more sense that chocolate is helping with my teeth.
Chocolate is high in magnesium. I haven't had to deal with sensitive teeth very often, but adding magnesium (as food or as a supplement) seemed to help.

Yi at LDT

Just bought some cocoa extract for this reason. I wonder if dose .akes a difference? I'm sure you can use a lot more cocoa then toxic flouride.

Anyone tried theodent toothpaste? Their top of the line product is $300!

InChristAlone

Wow chocolate always gave me the worst sensitive teeth pain. Maybe due to the product since I usually ate caramello or milk chocolate or drank highly sugared chocolate milk.

TheSir

Yeah me too. I have been rinsing my teeth with sea salt multiple times a day for a week now and my teeth opaquity has lessened a lot. From what I have understood, salt helps to open the small pores in the teeth and then the minerals in sea salt help remineralize the tooth. Cocoa powder will be an interesting addition.

Tenacity

Yeah me too. I have been rinsing my teeth with sea salt multiple times a day for a week now and my teeth opaquity has lessened a lot. From what I have understood, salt helps to open the small pores in the teeth and then the minerals in sea salt help remineralize the tooth. Cocoa powder will be an interesting addition.
Opaquity lessened? Wouldn't that be a bad thing? Surely you would want them to be less see-through, not more.

LeeLemonoil

7-methylxanthine is also found in cocoa and was investigated and shows promise to prevent myopis by modulating sclereal Collagen and also functions associated with the adenosine receptor.

Maybe this xanthine has general positive effects on

TheSir

Opaquity lessened? Wouldn't that be a bad thing? Surely you would want them to be less see-through, not more.
Brainfart, meant that they have become less transparent.

@TheSir can you link to any information on salt making the enamel more porous?
I don't remember where I read it, and it's probably not exactly right in scientific terms, but I recall it was part of what made baking soda effective for brushing too.

opson123

Get something low in cadmium and lead. It's a real problem with cocoa.
I'm probably screwd, my diet has been about 300g of milk chocolate a day for a few years now. Only food I'm able to eat. Only saving grace is that it only has 30% cocoa so not as bad as if I had been eating those 80% dark chocolate bars.

Last edited:

Mossy

I notice the study mentions extract, but some of the discussion here is about powder. Can it be assumed that they are the same thing?

JoddyLee

You know, in childhood I used to think that coffee and cocoa are the same product just made in different ways, like black olives and green olives. But it appeared that they're different in every possible way. :confused:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals