Cocoa Powder Vs. Chocolate

Xisca

One important thing to say about anything that contains cocoa though is that it blocks certain minerals from absorbing.
Big eater too here!
What you mention is about the high occurence of phytate. this is partly overcome by fermentation and roasting, traditional method of the people who had no lab to figure it out... but they did notice!

So I would say just stay apart from what raw foodist say, and never eat so called raw chocolate.

People had good reasons for cooking Some foods! Though I agree with a high % of raw, I only eat raw what can be eaten raw. I hate cooked mangoes....

EDIT:
Gosh, @chrismeyers , I have to edit, as I wrote without Reading you!
I let it like this, just to convince more...
I love the way you wrote it....
I am quite surrounded by vegans and raw eaters, and so strange that some really cured themselves by this diet...
I just think it should not be kept forever,
...and that 100% should not be the goal of anything in life.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Interesting; I drink my cocoa (chocolate) all day long with milk, sugar, gelatin, coconut oil, and salt. It's so delicious, I wonder what could be wrong here.
Hey @DaveFoster have you tried the flourless chocolate brownies on this forum somewhere? Sooooo yummy and easy to make: I modified it a tiny bit:

Ingredients:
1) 1 cup sugar
2) 0.5 cup cocoa powder
3) 2 eggs
4) 2tb butter
5) pinch of salt
6) Tsp vanilla

*Mix sugar and butter, salt in a saucepan over med low until butter melts.

*Place in mixing bowl and let cool for one min.

*Mix in eggs until pancake consistency.

*Mix in cocoa and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

*Pour in greased baking pan or cupcake pan. I use butter to grease pan.

*Bake at 350 for 20 mins.

*Remove and let sit out and cool for 15 min before removing from pan.

*Do not refrigerate and CAUTION it is super easy to eat the whole pan in one go. Exercise restraint. LOLOL.

Xisca

Add coffee, and it becomes the best.
just to say that I use cocoa poder much more than chocolate.
Today I had coffee with cocoa powder added. and sugar and coconut oil. Yummy!

For me, the advantage of the powder is freedom!
100% cocoa powder.
(yes, sometimes I like 100!)
Just look at what they add to chocolate, like soya lecithin.
Some are not free from gluten...

I eat what I want, even if I do not want sugar, I can make my creamy chocolate stuff with banana (posted my récipe not long ago...).
If you want honey, go for it instead of sugar. And you can chose the amount of fat you want, 11% or 20%.

*Do not refrigerate and CAUTION it is super easy to eat the whole pan in one go. Exercise restraint. LOLOL.
lol yes Lisa, 1 cup of sugar would just be glycemia highjacket!
...but fine to eat in one day... yum....

Last edited:

Quality

Big eater too here!
What you mention is about the high occurence of phytate. this is partly overcome by fermentation and roasting, traditional method of the people who had no lab to figure it out... but they did notice!

So I would say just stay apart from what raw foodist say, and never eat so called raw chocolate.

People had good reasons for cooking Some foods! Though I agree with a high % of raw, I only eat raw what can be eaten raw. I hate cooked mangoes....

EDIT:
Gosh, @chrismeyers , I have to edit, as I wrote without Reading you!
I let it like this, just to convince more...
I love the way you wrote it....
I am quite surrounded by vegans and raw eaters, and so strange that some really cured themselves by this diet...
I just think it should not be kept forever,
...and that 100% should not be the goal of anything in life.

Well I have to admit im not a real fan of the powder, i do eat dark chocolate bars though :D and actually have to warn myself before going into the supermarket to only buy one bar.
Also I do take this cocoa extract called chocamine plus, which is pretty cheap and lasts quite long even at the double dose I use.
Be warned, capsule it though as it tastes like dirt mixed with cocoa powder, very bitter!
It's great for people who want all the benefits of chocolate without the tons of calories, actually shocked I havent heard any women yet buying/using it, I thought it woulda been a hype by now :D.

As for the metal binding, im hoping(ofcourse im not certain about this im no expert) that it will also bind with possible heavy metals in the gut allowing them to be excreted?
Bioavailability of cadmium and lead in cocoa: comparison of extraction procedures prior to size-exclusion fast-flow liquid chromatography with inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometric detection (SEC-ICP-MS)Presented at the 2002 Winter Conference on Plasma Spectrochemistry, Scottsdale, AZ, USA, January 6???12, 2002.
conclusions:

Cadmium levels in some cocoa varieties may be above certain national legal limits. However, over 70% of Cd is bound in very stable complexes that are not digested. The total Pb concentration in cocoa is largely below the legally permissible limits.

In-vitro binding experiments
on cocoa powder suggest possible ways of detoxifying Pb
and Cd by binding them into stable complexes, resistant to
gastrointestinal conditions.

By the way your right, my chocolate bar does contain soy lecithin :P, nothings perfect :P

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Hey @DaveFoster have you tried the flourless chocolate brownies on this forum somewhere? Sooooo yummy and easy to make: I modified it a tiny bit:

Ingredients:
1) 1 cup sugar
2) 0.5 cup cocoa powder
3) 2 eggs
4) 2tb butter
5) pinch of salt
6) Tsp vanilla

Lisa, you're awesome. I keep wanting to make black bean brownies, but now I don't have to use the black beans, thanks.

Xisca

Be warned, capsule it though as it tastes like dirt mixed with cocoa powder, very bitter!
It's great for people who want all the benefits of chocolate without the tons of calories, actually shocked I havent heard any women yet buying/using it, I thought it woulda been a hype by now :D.

As for the metal binding, im hoping(ofcourse im not certain about this im no expert) that it will also bind with possible heavy metals in the gut allowing them to be excreted?

Well, the taste is what counts in chocolate!

You might be right about bad metals binding!
Dunno if it overcomes the drawback of binding to the good ones.... that include Mg and Ca.

Quality

Well, the taste is what counts in chocolate!
End of the day, the cravings get from chocolate is from the effect on the mind.
The taste is merely nostalgic.

You might be right about bad metals binding!
Dunno if it overcomes the drawback of binding to the good ones.... that include Mg and Ca.
Take your magnesium and calcium supplementation away from your chocolate consumption, like eat some chocolate in the morning/lunch.
Then take your calcium and magnesium in the evening.

Xisca

There is Mg in the chocolate itself, and in the morning coffee...
I do not "take Ca and Mg", I eat food! ;)

Chocolate is not a problem, because it has been fermented and roasted, just avoid this trendy raw chocolate!

PeatThemAll

Anecdotal, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's chocolate (milk chocolate, 50 gram portions) or the cocoa (as in fat-free-ish homemade hot chocolate), but there's something in there that brought back hunger feelings the few times I tried it in the last month.

Pleasant surprise, considering I almost never feel hunger, even when fasting for 12+ hours. Haven't had appetite either for the longest time. But for now adding choc/cocoa works in reviving gut feelings :)

Quality

Anecdotal, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's chocolate (milk chocolate, 50 gram portions) or the cocoa (as in fat-free-ish homemade hot chocolate), but there's something in there that brought back hunger feelings the few times I tried it in the last month.

Pleasant surprise, considering I almost never feel hunger, even when fasting for 12+ hours. Haven't had appetite either for the longest time. But for now adding choc/cocoa works in reviving gut feelings :)
Glad to hear it, but odd kinda, cocoa (caffeine n theobromine in it with tons of other healthy substances ) is known for its appetite supressant effects.
Ive been consistently taken my chocamine supplement chronic, things ive noticed so far: energy booster, fat loss (allthough im allready low fat %), better endurance exercise bouts, mood lift, somewhat appetite supressing effects.

PeatThemAll

Glad to hear it, but odd kinda, cocoa (caffeine n theobromine in it with tons of other healthy substances ) is known for its appetite supressant effects.
Ive been consistently taken my chocamine supplement chronic, things ive noticed so far: energy booster, fat loss (allthough im allready low fat %), better endurance exercise bouts, mood lift, somewhat appetite supressing effects.

My hunch is on the fattier option. As one of my teachers said (talking about cholesterol, though), sometimes you have to break the downward spiral and re-prime a system. In the case of cholesterol, he was pointing to: not eating enough fat - - > less bile produced - - > lowered fat assimilation/availability - - > less hormonal precursors - - > less cholesterol produced - - > less bile available (cholesterol recycling / breakdown) - - > (downward spiral).

I tend to think fat is following a similar cycle. Body is on hold, not wanting to convert carbs to fat (e. g. using them right now), and waiting for fats to re-prime/re-start normal processes. Although I suspect a caloric deficit, carbs (binges included) have not been a solution so far, so it's in all likelihood a fat deficit, metabolic slowdown.

Agent207

Chocolate is not a problem, because it has been fermented and roasted, just avoid this trendy raw chocolate!
I think what is called "raw cacao" is actually fermented too; just it hasn't been through a process called dutch or alkalized, done to soften taste for comercial chocolates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

gnosisphoenix

Ingredients:
1) 1 cup sugar
2) 0.5 cup cocoa powder
3) 2 eggs
4) 2tb butter
5) pinch of salt
6) Tsp vanilla

What could possibly be the harm of eating the whole pan? Sounds like breakfast to me... (says the girl who is trying to lose 30 pounds...)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals