Cocoa Or Pre-treated Cacao For Benefit?

Chocolate is a seed, so it digests better when we prepare it somehow. There was a time when I ate at least a pound of raw cacao a day when I tried vegetarian-keto, but I soon ran into problems digesting it. Knowing what I know now about the nature of seeds, I believe they definitely need to be prepared/deactivated to limit digestive strain.

My assumption is that all cocoa is heat-treated which is why it's easier to digest than raw cacao... But does that mean that cocoa is always more beneficial than cacao?

Could we soak or roast cacao somehow to gain a unique benefit over alkali-processed cocoa?

@Hans I've seen you mention cocoa several times in your articles. I'd love to hear your input on what you think of the difference between cocoa and cacao?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Chocolate is a seed, so it digests better when we prepare it somehow. There was a time when I ate at least a pound of raw cacao a day when I tried vegetarian-keto, but I soon ran into problems digesting it. Knowing what I know now about the nature of seeds, I believe they definitely need to be prepared/deactivated to limit digestive strain.

My assumption is that all cocoa is heat-treated which is why it's easier to digest than raw cacao... But does that mean that cocoa is always more beneficial than cacao?

Could we soak or roast cacao somehow to gain a unique benefit over alkali-processed cocoa?

@Hans I've seen you mention cocoa several times in your articles. I'd love to hear your input on what you think of the difference between cocoa and cacao?
Cocoa is good, but too much can definitely cause issues, like most other food. Cacao is also good since it's much higher in flavonoids compared to the cocoa, yet the magnesium in cocoa is more available since the phytic acid is reduced with the roasting process.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Cocoa is good, but too much can definitely cause issues, like most other food. Cacao is also good since it's much higher in flavonoids compared to the cocoa, yet the magnesium in cocoa is more available since the phytic acid is reduced with the roasting process.

I had a suspect about the magnesium :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: tysir

johnwester130

historically and traditionally speaking, it was never eaten raw. it was always boiled or treated in some way.

I think the raw chocolate promoters are not being honest.

mrchibbs

historically and traditionally speaking, it was never eaten raw. it was always boiled or treated in some way.

I think the raw chocolate promoters are not being honest.

That or they’re just ignorant, much like how they’ve convinced entire generations of westerners of eating beans and seeds raw or lightly cooked, unsoaked and unsprouted, contrary to every food preparation tradition. Every time I see a recipe that calls for ‘al dente lentils I picture Weston A. Price rolling around in his grave.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals