Cocoa Butter- Yes Or No?

Broken man

Hello all, I saw that there is hype about cocoa butter and was interesting about it too so I did my research and I am not sure if its good idea to use it or eat it. I will post some studies. I am not good at reading studies and I hope that somebody will prove that its safe to consume cocoa butter.
Note: I am newbie and without knowledge about health or biology so I was looking for terms that I saw here as the "markers of evil"

Some studies-
Molecular mechanisms underlying the potential antiobesity-related diseases effect of cocoa polyphenols. - PubMed - NCBI - anti obesity

Cocoa polyphenols prevent inflammation in the colon of azoxymethane-treated rats and in TNF-α-stimulated Caco-2 cells. - PubMed - NCBI - decreases pro-inflammatory enzymes such as cyclo-oxygenase-2 and inducible NO synthase

Modulation of metabolic syndrome-related inflammation by cocoa. - PubMed - NCBI

Dietary Cocoa Reduces Metabolic Endotoxemia and Adipose Tissue Inflammation in High-Fat Fed Mice - endotoxemia and adipose tissue inflammation

The effects of cocoa on the immune system - anti inflammatory and helps with immunity

Why Is Dark Chocolate Good for You? Thank Your Microbes

It seems that cocoa or cocoa butter should be good but

Impact of roasting on the flavan-3-ol composition, sensory-related chemistry, and in vitro pancreatic lipase inhibitory activity of cocoa beans. - PubMed - NCBI - inhibition of pancreatic lipase isnt good thing ye?

Inhibition of Key Digestive Enzymes by Cocoa Extracts 1 and Procyanidins next on lipase

Loss of Native Flavanols during Fermentation and Roasting Does Not Necessarily Reduce Digestive Enzyme-Inhibiting Bioactivities of Cocoa. - PubMed - NCBI - effect of fermentation and roasting on digestive enzyme inhibiting activity of cocoa

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2012/906252/ inhibition of carbohydrate metabolism

Cacao procyanidins reduce plasma cholesterol and increase fecal steroid excretion in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. - PubMed - NCBI - inhibition of intestinal absorption of cholesterol and bile acids

https://www.researchgate.net/public...bsorption_of_cocoa_butter_and_palm_kernel_oil

Flavanols, the Kuna, Cocoa Consumption, and Nitric Oxide - nitric oxide

Chocolate health benefits traced to Panamanian tribe get 2nd look | CBC News

Chocolate: A Double-Edged Sword

Plus the heavy metal content of cocoa, I am thinking if the shea butter is not better option.

Last edited:

geneu

I am thinking chop the solid cocoa oil to small cube size then just swallow like capsule with water

yerrag

The past two days, I had coffee with milk and 20g cocoa butter along with my breafast. I felt sluggish shortly thereafter, sleepy in fact. I tested my blood glucose then, and I was surprised to find my blood sugar at 103, which I felt to be high, especially about 1.5 hour after the meal. Normally it would have gotten down to around 85. I reckon it must be the high fat content of my meal, especially large-chain saturated fats, that's blocking sugar absorption into tissues. To test if true, I made a fresh glass of satsuma orange juice, and downed it. Immediately I got my energy back! The potassium in the juice made the sugar go down easy into the tissues.

Lesson to me here is to take cocoa butter in between meals. I guess my coffee will also follow.

By the way, I'm taking cocoa butter to increase chylomicrons that help bring endotoxins from my blood into liver for eventual excretion by file through the fecal route.

yerrag

Or maybe I should lessen the cocoa butter in my coffee, changing from 20 grams to say 5 grams and then drink more coffee throughout the day.

gaze

The past two days, I had coffee with milk and 20g cocoa butter along with my breafast. I felt sluggish shortly thereafter, sleepy in fact. I tested my blood glucose then, and I was surprised to find my blood sugar at 103, which I felt to be high, especially about 1.5 hour after the meal. Normally it would have gotten down to around 85. I reckon it must be the high fat content of my meal, especially large-chain saturated fats, that's blocking sugar absorption into tissues. To test if true, I made a fresh glass of satsuma orange juice, and downed it. Immediately I got my energy back! The potassium in the juice made the sugar go down easy into the tissues.

Lesson to me here is to take cocoa butter in between meals. I guess my coffee will also follow.

By the way, I'm taking cocoa butter to increase chylomicrons that help bring endotoxins from my blood into liver for eventual excretion by file through the fecal route.

what was your breakfast and how much sugar did you put into the coffee?

yerrag

what was your breakfast and how much sugar did you put into the coffee?
Hard boiled egg, sweet potato with butter and sugar (about 3 tsp) , and coffee with milk and 2 tsp sugar. It's a breakfast I take regularly, the only change was with the cocoa butter added to coffee.

yerrag

I usually find that my energy would be low when blood sugar is low, but this time it was high. I guess that it took a while for the long-chain fats to be turned into chylomicrons, before being usable for energy. At the same it was interfering with glucose uptake into tissues. And since I'm not getting much substrates for energy production, I felt a decline in energy.

Last edited:

yerrag

I usually find that my energy would be low when blood sugar is low, but this time it was high. I guess that it took a while for the long-chain fats to be turned into chylomicrons, before being usable for energy. At the same it was interfering with glucose uptake into tissues. And since I'm not getting much substrates for energy production, I felt a decline in energy.

I don't think I can blame in on the cocoa butter anymore. I experienced sluggishness and high blood sugar 2 hours after lunch. Even without taking cocoa butter.

I think I have an endotoxin load in my blood and the body's just trying to make more triglycerides to deal with the endotoxin load. It's trying to convert blood sugar to fat in the liver by adding more sugar to blood by converting glycogen to glucose thru the liver. This would explain the high blood sugar, which triggers insulin to be produced, and this triggers the liver to lower blood sugar by converting the sugar to fat. This fat could probably be the source for increased triglycerides.

Anyway, not the fault of cocoa butter. My mistake.

yerrag

I don't think I can blame in on the cocoa butter anymore. I experienced sluggishness and high blood sugar 2 hours after lunch. Even without taking cocoa butter.

I think I have an endotoxin load in my blood and the body's just trying to make more triglycerides to deal with the endotoxin load. It's trying to convert blood sugar to fat in the liver by adding more sugar to blood by converting glycogen to glucose thru the liver. This would explain the high blood sugar, which triggers insulin to be produced, and this triggers the liver to lower blood sugar by converting the sugar to fat. This fat could probably be the source for increased triglycerides.

Anyway, not the fault of cocoa butter. My mistake.
Correcting myself again. I now realize that because of my frequent urination for 2 months, I'm likely low in b1 (as well as potassium) and this is most likely why I feel sluggish. I'm just not metabolizing sugar at the rate it should because of this deficiency.

Amazoniac

Correcting myself again. I now realize that because of my frequent urination for 2 months, I'm likely low in b1 (as well as potassium) and this is most likely why I feel sluggish. I'm just not metabolizing sugar at the rate it should because of this deficiency.
You should be able to find quantification of nutrient loss from diuretics or certain conditions, easier for minerals.

yerrag

You should be able to find quantification of nutrient loss from diuretics or certain conditions, easier for minerals.
Thanks. I'll look for that.

GelatinGoblin

Thanks for the corrections, don't wanna spread misinformation :):

yerrag

Thanks for the corrections, don't wanna spread misinformation :):
Yeah. I try to walk back what I said when I find out something that says otherwise. Hard to give misinfo and lead people astray.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals