Cocoa alkali processing

J

jb116

Just thought I'd post my deduction based on a Peatarian view and the process of alkalai processing.
I've been curious about this process and never saw it mentioned here or by peat. So, if you recall thispeat quote:
"...The “estrogenic” and “antioxidant” polyphenolic compounds of tea are not the protective agents (they raise the level of estrogen), but tea’s caffeine is a very powerful and general anti-cancer protectant..."

In the dutch process using alkali, these similar compounds found in cocoa are drastically reduced. So I assume that Peat would lean more towards cocoa with this process than without.

As a personal anecdote, most times when I would eat pure chocolate not processed this way, I'd get very severe intestinal pains. It makes sense to me now.

FredSonoma

Just thought I'd post my deduction based on a Peatarian view and the process of alkalai processing.
I've been curious about this process and never saw it mentioned here or by peat. So, if you recall thispeat quote:
"...The “estrogenic” and “antioxidant” polyphenolic compounds of tea are not the protective agents (they raise the level of estrogen), but tea’s caffeine is a very powerful and general anti-cancer protectant..."

In the dutch process using alkali, these similar compounds found in cocoa are drastically reduced. So I assume that Peat would lean more towards cocoa with this process than without.

As a personal anecdote, most times when I would eat pure chocolate not processed this way, I'd get very severe intestinal pains. It makes sense to me now.

Interesting - do you know where to find cocoa that's purely processed with alkali? The ones I've found only have part cocoa without alkali and part cocoa with alkali. Also - the one processed with alkali has about 5 times more iron - why is this?

OP
J

jb116

Interesting - do you know where to find cocoa that's purely processed with alkali? The ones I've found only have part cocoa without alkali and part cocoa with alkali. Also - the one processed with alkali has about 5 times more iron - why is this?
sorry I missed this, not getting all notifications all the time.
I'm not sure where to find it specifically, I just usually read the ingredients which should have it printed whether it is processed that way or not.
Re: iron. I think this depends on the specific Cacao plant, as they absorb iron from the soil where they grow. This will vary I'm sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom