Cocao And Farting/bloating

vulture

Hi all

I've found cocoa is tasty and pretty effective to speed up the gut transit, I could easily use it to garantee 3 or more visits to the WC, but I also get a lot of gas and bloating. About 20-30 g in a single dose tends to give me significant gas.

Is it normal? Feels even uncomfortable.

Jon

I get the same issues with even less, almost identical feelings to od'ing on magnesium. I think the constituents of cocoa are pretty promotional bowel clearing like magnesium, theobromine, caffeine. The fiber in it may be the reason you bloat and have gas from it. Sounds like you're normal to me.

OP
vulture

vulture

Well, I bought a lot to try to increase magnessium in my diet, but seems it could be easier and less uncomfortable to do it with spinach

Jon

Well, I bought a lot to try to increase magnessium in my diet, but seems it could be easier and less uncomfortable to do it with spinach

Unless you're boiling your spinach (which is what I do) you might want to be careful of eating too much of it. Its goitrogens and oxalis acid can cause problems in the raw state. Magnesium glycinate or even better, Magnesium bicarbonate are pretty safe ways to supplement magnesium. Both are relatively cheap, the bicarbonate takes some education and hunting for the material as you have to make it yourself but it's a good supplement once you learn how. Gerolsteiner mineral water is another great way to get in bicarbonate forms of magnesium and calcium (I drink 28-56oz a day) but it's kind of expensive.

OP
vulture

vulture

I'm currently trying magnessium bicarbonate from milk of magnessia mixed with carbonated water.

Last night I ate some cocoa and next day in the morning had some lower abdomen slight aches. Doesn't seem like a healthy thing for me to take.

Jon

@vulture id listen to your bod then. I came to the conclusion Raw coco powder isn't for me for the same reason

Are you sure you need to supplement magnesium, do you currently track how much you get in a day?

Monitor yourself closely with supplements, especially the fat soluble ones. They have greater reprocussions from overdose than the water solubles.

OP
vulture

vulture

I don't track it but aside from milk, cheese and meats, coffee, I don't eat anything that have's significant Mg on it.

Jon

Why not? Do you have issues with things like orange juice, potatoes, boiled spinach, and fruit?

anyfit

i think cocoa and its derivatives are great foods, high in magnesium, zinc and copper and also stearic acid.
however, it has relatively low levels of calcium , together with the very concentrated magnesium contents it could likely irritate your stomach.
spinach which is high in magnesium is also relatively high in calcium which could make the magnesium less irritating.
maybe try to eat it with some calcium rich food next time, no wonder cocoa is so commonly mixed with dairy :D

Luk3

Cocoa is a strange one for me. There have been times when it’s really irritated my stomach, and other times it seems to improve my digestive system. I found this article on the (positive) changes that cocoa appears to make to the gut microbiota. Chocolate, gut microbiota, and human health

However, I am clueless as to verifying studies, so don’t take my word for it.

OP
vulture

vulture

i think cocoa and its derivatives are great foods, high in magnesium, zinc and copper and also stearic acid.
however, it has relatively low levels of calcium , together with the very concentrated magnesium contents it could likely irritate your stomach.
spinach which is high in magnesium is also relatively high in calcium which could make the magnesium less irritating.
maybe try to eat it with some calcium rich food next time, no wonder cocoa is so commonly mixed with dairy :D
I drink cocoa with milk, almost always

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals