Coca Cola

leo

Luckily I got over my bad habit of needing them. I don't think I will go back but I have a question anyway, in case the situation comes up where I might have one.

Does it have to be made in Mexico? I understand about the regular sugar ones being better than the ones with aspartame, but I seem to have read RP that he drinks the mexican one only for the taste, and he says that metabolically the non mexican and mexican cokes are the same.

Did I read that correctly?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mexican Coke has real cane sugar, regular coke uses high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup is almost the same as sugar, if it weren't for the heavy metals and starch that are also in there. So it's better to have Mexican Coke.

Ray Peat said they started doing studies on HFCS back in the day but found so many heavy metals in them that they stopped the studies.

burtlancast

How do you guys know if the water in the coke is fluoridated ?
And there's a video on youtube about indian farmers using coke's pesticides residues to spray their crops...

kiran

burtlancast said:
How do you guys know if the water in the coke is fluoridated ?
And there's a video on youtube about indian farmers using coke's pesticides residues to spray their crops...

A little context for you, caffeine is a pesticide too. And coca extract is an adaptogen. I imagine CO2 is good for plants. I wonder about the sugar ....

Mittir

RP cited a study that found HFCS drinks have 4-5 times calories than listed on the bottle
and those calories come from starchy polysaccharides. So 100 calories soft drink with HFCS
has about 400-500 calories in carbohydrate. RP only recommends pure sugar and we do not
know what kind of bacteria these polysaccharides feed.
Charlie also mentioned that heavy metal toxicity, IIRC it was mercury.
I add club soda to OJ or lemon juice, that is my soft drinks.

burtlancast

kiran said:
A little context for you, caffeine is a pesticide too. And coca extract is an adaptogen. I imagine CO2 is good for plants. I wonder about the sugar ....

And in what context would you put DDT, malathion, lindane and chlorpyrifos ?

The level of chlorpyrifos was 42 times higher than EEC norms, their study showed. Malathion residues were 87 times higher and lindane--recently banned in the United States--21 times higher, CSE scientists said.

They added that each sample was toxic enough to cause long-term cancer, damage to the nervous and reproductive systems, birth defects, and severe disruption of the immune system.

Samples from brand leaders Coca-Cola and Pepsi had almost similar concentrations of pesticide residues in the CSE findings. Contaminants in Pepsi samples were 37 times higher than the EEC limit while its rival Coca-Cola exceeded the norms by 45 times, the same findings showed.
http://www.indiaresource.org/news/2003/4725.html

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Noooo, you will not take away my Coke! Phoooey on you burtlancast! ;)

All kidding aside, thanks for pointing that out

burtlancast

Charlie said:
Noooo, you will not take away my Coke! Phoooey on you burtlancast! ;)

I always get that effect on people.... :roll:

kiran

burtlancast said:
And in what context would you put DDT, malathion, lindane and chlorpyrifos ?

Fair enough, but that's probably not enough to serve as a pesticide.

burtlancast

kiran said:

Mmm...

Wrong again.

[BBvideo 560,340:3jin5q21]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvpSIIfNyII[/BBvideo]

"...and they are even DILUTING it with water and STILL getting results !"

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think I might actually drop Mexican Coke for a few weeks and see if I notice anything.

burtlancast

Actually, people should make themselves their own coke.
Maybe there are some home recipes floating around on the net...

But trust these criminals who poisoned millions with aspartame ?...

kiran

burtlancast said:

Mmm...

Wrong again.

The pesticides in cola are likely in too low of a concentration to actually behave as a pesticide (poison). So this effect is likely due to something else in the cola.

The point I was trying to make was that caffeine can be a pesticide. Plus it's possible that coca extract can strengthen the plants and help them stave off the pests by some other method. Plus CO2 is beneficial. I wonder if sucrose is beneficial to plants ...

kiran

burtlancast said:
Actually, people should make themselves their own coke.
Maybe there are some home recipes floating around on the net...

But trust these criminals who poisoned millions with aspartame ?...

It's a good idea. The hard part there is likely finding a source of coca extract. :P

Mittir

Charlie
In india all bottled drinks are contaminated with pesticides. They are using contaminated
underground water and big companies can get away with anything.
I believe in America they use filtered water in making soft drinks.

Yesterday a leading Indian agriculture analyst, Devinder Sharma, said: "I think Coke has found its right use. Farmers have traditionally used sugary solutions to attract red ants to feed on insect larvae.

"I think the colas are also performing the same role."

The properties of Coke have been discussed for years. It has been reported that it is a fine lavatory cleaner, a good windscreen wipe and an efficient rust spot remover.

Uncorroborated reports from China claimed that the ill-fated New Coke was widely used in China as a spermicide.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/n ... .johnvidal

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:cuss :banghead

burtlancast

jyb

The articles say the pesticipates amounts excess EEC norms, but if I'm correct those are sample manufactured in India. But can we infer that this also applies to US Coke, or Mexican Coke (itself similar to European coke, maybe identical)?

If these tests in India were standard pesticides checks, then my guess is that Coke here would be lower in pesticides due to regulation (but I haven't checked if these drinks are actually tested). However, it doesn't mean that small amount of pesticides below norms are not harmful. As the public has learnt in recent years with plastics chemical, toxicity norms are obsolete and do not protect consumers well.

pboy

Coke is one of those things that is acceptable if balanced by other things...it has a little vitamins and minerals cause of the extracts, and some
positive herbal properties from the caffeine / coca / and others...but still its pretty lacking. HFCS might have contaminants, is likely GMO, and because the glucose and fructose aren't bound, it could cause some gas and gut fermentation (since some of the glucose would be absorped in the stomach, leaving some fructose free, impairing its absorbtion) so cane sugar is a more gut friendly option. With a well balanced diet, 1-2 cokes a day is probably not noticeable and could help between meals, but relying on it is probably not a good idea

J

j.

Coke is something to drink when you don't have good sources of sugar, such as OJ, or when you consume a high iron food, and want to avoid drinking fruit juice what would increase iron absorption. Very healthy people can probably get away with drinking coca cola every day. I try to avoid it because if I drink it often I no longer have appetite for guavas, honey, and other sweet things that have more nutrients.