Coca-Cola Mexican Coke

Birdie

Haagendazendiane said:
If I juiced carrots and made spinach smoothies with flaxseed oil everyone would be happy. Sure am glad I have my sugar and salt. : )
Exactly, H-D. People say to me how great I look but they don't want to stop eating food company products and acceptable health foods.
They really want to hear of a miracle supplement plan. They're sure it's that and not what I eat. Yep, that sounds like a cult.

:x I'm not mad, but like this face.

gretchen

Picture from day 1 of fashion week. Yay for Coke!
photo1_zpsfa605b68.jpg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OMG I want one!!!! Wait, I want a case!!! :coke

Birdie

gretchen said:
Picture from day 1 of fashion week. Yay for Coke!
photo1_zpsfa605b68.jpg

Thanks, Gretchen!
That's so cute.
Yes, I want one too. I wonder where you found this shot. I've been watching some. I admit it. :)

BingDing

Kelly said:
Bummer. I found mexican Coke at the store today, bought one but also a 4 pack of cream soda with natural cane sugar, as I prefer cream soda. I thought the thing we were looking for with the pop was just the sugar.

Hey Kelly. The other thing is the bottling plant in Mexico is presumed to not use fluoridated water, which is so common in the US. It's the same problem as OJ made from concentrate, you don't know if the water to reconstitute it has fluoride in it. What a PITA, fluoridated water is one of my pet peeves. :wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdie

peatarian said:
I once asked Ray Peat because he always used the word 'coke' if he meant Pepsi or Coca-Cola.
His answer:

'Coca, not Pepsi. From the mineral analyses I have seen, Coke would have more of the botannical extracts.'

This is what I've heard from Peat, also in interviews.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said the amount of possible fluoride in a mexican coke was negligible.
Not his exact words, but that's ^^ the essence of his comments.

tomisonbottom

Ok, so I read through this and it sounds like the carmel color MIGHT be ok, but what about phosphoric acid?
Anyone know how that is ok to drink?
They use to clean batteries in semi trucks 'cause its such a strong acid.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks!

jyb

It's unfortunate that here in Europe, where Coca-Cola is still with real sugar (not HFCS), there is phosphoric acid - anyone knows if the quantity found is a significant source of phosphorus?

Birdie

I used to be very concerned about the phosphoric ac in coke, but I figure that Ray wouldn't recommend it if he considered any of the ingredients toxic. Perhaps, the amount of phosphoric ac is outweighed by the other desirable ingredients.

I've only been reading his work for a year and a half, but I'm impressed with him enough to take his word for it.

I don't drink it every day but that's because it's hard for me to get all my nutrients and a coke takes up room.

But since people have been asking this question for a while it might be good for someone who is concerned to ask Ray and let everyone else know his answer.

gabriel79

tomisonbottom said:
They use to clean batteries in semi trucks 'cause its such a strong acid.
Yes, it has a pH of about 2.8. Do you know the pH of gastric juices? 2; of lemon juice? ~2.4
The acidity of a substance doesn't imply anything. Just don't let it sit in your mouth without washing.

Birdie

I remember telling my daughter years ago that coke would rot her teeth. We did the test when she lost a baby tooth. Put it in a jar with coke. Nothing happened but I did not let that deter me.

As far as the pH of the phosphoric ac, it will matter how much is present in the coke solution. You would want to know the pH of the coke with the phosphoric ac in it, of course.

I remember being really shocked to hear Ray recommended coke!! :) I really have NOT mentioned it to my daughter!! Later for that one!

pboy

I don't know if the phosphoric acid is good or bad, but I used to drink a lot of coca cola and didn't have bone/teeth problems. In fact I read something recently (I think theres a few vids on youtube) about people using coke to clear kidney stones ...they'd basically drink a 6 or 12 pack of coke back to back, followed by a blended asparagus smoothie (diuretic) and it would supposedly dizzolve sediment in the kidneys and diuretically flush it...lol, I dunno, but I doubt its really that harmful at the end of the day. I think phosphoric acid is actually a component of phospholipids in the body too, but not 100% on that. Of course this is just my opinion!

A question about c02 in coca cola...is the co2 beneficial in some way or is it not directly beneficial as say bag breathing or just slow breathing in general?

(an interesting side note...only one company in the US is allowed to legally import coca leaves to be used for extracting the flavor from, and this company sells only to coca cola and a pharmaceutical company...so coca cola is unique amongst any other cola you could buy in the fact that it actually still contains flavor extractives from the coca leaf) I dunno if it has any pharmacological action, but I thought that was interesting

tomisonbottom

Hey Guys,
I emailed ray about the phosphoric acid in the coke.

My question to him:
"I was wondering if you would mind sharing on your opinion on the phosphoric acid found in Coke?
And/or would it be more beneficial to do bag breathing instead of drinking coke?
Or does Coke have specific special benefits?"

His answer:
"The coca leaf and cola seed extracts are valuable antiinflammatories.
The amount of phosphate is very small compared to the amount in meat, fish, beans, nuts, and grains."

Bluebell

Coca Cola uses caramel to create the dark colour in their cola.

Peat advises against consuming caramel (sugars heated so much that they go dark), because of toxicity.

So I was wondering why he is OK with the almost black coca cola?

mariange

I've been curious about this as well! When I buy balsamic vinegar, I'm careful to avoid the ones with caramel colorings.

(A good quality balsamic is excellent in carrot salad btw)

tigerlily96

Bluebell said:
Coca Cola uses caramel to create the dark colour in their cola.

Peat advises against consuming caramel (sugars heated so much that they go dark), because of toxicity.

So I was wondering why he is OK with the almost black coca cola?

Can anyone answer this?

Coke is the only drink I like that agrees with me and I really want to agree with it! :D

BingDing

There is a thread about hot caramel milk with this:

j. said:
My message to Ray Peat:

Is dulce de leche carcinogenic?

Is dulce de guayaba (guava)?

His response:

Ray Peat said:
I don't think it's carcinogenic, but sugar that's browned becomes a little toxic and allergenic. I think the anti-aromatase of guayabas is likely to be protective against cancer. I have eaten lots of both of them, and plan to eat more.

ANDREW CHIN

It's unfortunate that here in Europe, where Coca-Cola is still with real sugar (not HFCS), there is phosphoric acid - anyone knows if the quantity found is a significant source of phosphorus?

According to livestrong.com, it's about 60 mg of phosphorus in a 12 oz can of Coke.