CO2 experiences

Beastmode

Curious what others experience has been with the following methods:

1) Bag breathing
2) Baking soda baths
3) acetazolamide
4) CO2 tank therapy (i.e- in a bag or bathtub)

Peat's response to me about the above:
"I feel similar effects from a bath with lots of baking soda and some epsom salts, and a gas bath. Bag breathing is quick and convenient, acetazolamide is good certain things that benefit from a continuous high level of CO2, including cancer."

I guess we can add consuming baking soda with liquid like many of have here (forget to add that one,) therefore it's probably more in the acetazolamide category for "continuous high level of CO2."

I've experimented with #1-3 the most and I'm just starting on #4 so I can't report a lot of feedback yet. The one session I did so far (lower half of body in garbage bag,) I definitely felt more relaxed afterward. My wife's sleep improved both nights she tried it.

Anyone here tried them all and noticed anything different between them?

meatbag

Curious what others experience has been with the following methods:

1) Bag breathing
2) Baking soda baths
3) acetazolamide

Peat's response to me about the above:
"I feel similar effects from a bath with lots of baking soda and some epsom salts, and a gas bath. Bag breathing is quick and convenient, acetazolamide is good certain things that benefit from a continuous high level of CO2, including cancer."

I guess we can add consuming baking soda with liquid like many of have here (forget to add that one,) therefore it's probably more in the acetazolamide category for "continuous high level of CO2."

I've experimented with #1-3 the most and I'm just starting on #4 so I can't report a lot of feedback yet. The one session I did so far (lower half of body in garbage bag,) I definitely felt more relaxed afterward. My wife's sleep improved both nights she tried it.

Anyone here tried them all and noticed anything different between them?
Thanks for posting that, I had been wondering if the baking soda bath was just as good as the gas as I had found the baking soda baths very relaxing and my whole body turned pink. Yeah I tried just drinking 2 tablespoons of baking soda in some water and it does seem (just by body feeling) to kind of increase co2 somewhat, but it is kind of tough because it seems to affect digestion a bit.

I haven't tried acetazolamide but I've tried high dose thiamine HCL and I think it is helpful as I find it easier to focus for awhile

Doc Sandoz

I carbonate my own water with a CO2 tank and a plastic bottle filling attachment. Warm carbonated water is marvelous for sore feet. I tried carbonating epsom salt water, but it won't hold the carbonation.

lucid&alive

I've done the bathtub and bag full of CO2. It is relaxing and makes the body parts in contact with the CO2 feel very warm.

DannyIrons™

You should try the Buteyko method. It resets your unconcious and automatic breathing which results in a more continuous and permanent abundance of CO2 in the body. WIth a higher CO2 saturation due to less volume of breathing, there would be no need for acetazolamide or bag breathing.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

Thanks for posting that, I had been wondering if the baking soda bath was just as good as the gas as I had found the baking soda baths very relaxing and my whole body turned pink. Yeah I tried just drinking 2 tablespoons of baking soda in some water and it does seem (just by body feeling) to kind of increase co2 somewhat, but it is kind of tough because it seems to affect digestion a bit.

I haven't tried acetazolamide but I've tried high dose thiamine HCL and I think it is helpful as I find it easier to focus for awhile
I always enjoy the baking soda baths myself. There always seems to be a positive difference in my sleep that night and overall relaxation.

2 TBS of baking soda is a very large amount if you're having it in one sitting or even an entire day. Probably why you experience the digestion challenges with it. It's definitely something that most have to work up with. I can do 1 tbs if it's spread out over 2-3 intakes, but I also haven't focused on building up my tolerance.

Peat seems to think of acetazolamide for issues that require longer concentrations of CO2 (i.e- cancer, before a full night of sleep, etc.) I have some, but don't feel drawn to taking it that much. I have to pee a lot when I do.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

I carbonate my own water with a CO2 tank and a plastic bottle filling attachment. Warm carbonated water is marvelous for sore feet. I tried carbonating epsom salt water, but it won't hold the carbonation.
I'm definitely interested in using the CO2 tank for some version of a bath soon. I need some kind of tubing to get the CO2 from the tank to the bathtub or footbath.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

I've done the bathtub and bag full of CO2. It is relaxing and makes the body parts in contact with the CO2 feel very warm.
Do you have any links on what attachment you needed to get the CO2 to the bathtub?

I only have the tank with valve.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

You should try the Buteyko method. It resets your unconcious and automatic breathing which results in a more continuous and permanent abundance of CO2 in the body. WIth a higher CO2 saturation due to less volume of breathing, there would be no need for acetazolamide or bag breathing.
I'm somewhat familiar with it and have applied it in the past. Depending on the person, I would say makes it more specific for what it replaces and not.

Of all the breathing trainings out there, it's the only one that stays aligned (to a large degree) with Peat.

DannyIrons™

I'm somewhat familiar with it and have applied it in the past. Depending on the person, I would say makes it more specific for what it replaces and not.

Of all the breathing trainings out there, it's the only one that stays aligned (to a large degree) with Peat.
I do think there is a misunderstanding with the Buteyko method, most probably because it includes the word 'method'. Most healthy babies will be born with perfect breathing, meaning a high partial pressure of CO2 in the blood (rightly as you say, in line with Peat. He puts so much emphasis on CO2). But due to many factors we all develop heavier breathing.

Buteyko is simply normalising our breathing volume to what it should be phsyiologically. So in that respect, I don't there is such thing as it works for some people and not for others. It's kinda like saying, food and water works for some people but not others. In my view, bag breathing, acetazolomide and CO2 tanks aren't going to reverse chronic hyperventilation, only temporarily reduce it.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

I do think there is a misunderstanding with the Buteyko method, most probably because it includes the word 'method'. Most healthy babies will be born with perfect breathing, meaning a high partial pressure of CO2 in the blood (rightly as you say, in line with Peat. He puts so much emphasis on CO2). But due to many factors we all develop heavier breathing.

Buteyko is simply normalising our breathing volume to what it should be phsyiologically. So in that respect, I don't there is such thing as it works for some people and not for others. It's kinda like saying, food and water works for some people but not others. In my view, bag breathing, acetazolomide and CO2 tanks aren't going to reverse chronic hyperventilation, only temporarily reduce it.

I'm sure there are plenty of misunderstandings of it. There's a buyteko practitioner on here, maybe you are as well, that can talk about this in more detail I believe. Is it you @ecstatichamster?

Updated list:
1) Bag breathing
2) Baking soda baths
3) acetazolamide
5) Buyteko breathing
6) Baking soda intake (orally)

Like you said "due to many factors," I made this thread to possibly consolidate many of the approaches to improve this very important aspect (CO2 production/retention.) We could probably add T3 and T3/T4 to the list, but I think this is good for now.

lucid&alive

Doc Sandoz

I'm definitely interested in using the CO2 tank for some version of a bath soon. I need some kind of tubing to get the CO2 from the tank to the bathtub or footbath.
You will need the CO2 tank, a regulator, a nice long length of appropriate size plastic tubing, and I find it convenient to splice a simple inexpensive valve in near the end of the tubing so you can top off the bag or bathtub without exiting or having to deal with the clumsy heavy tank. Plan on spending a couple hundred to get set up, after that its just the cost of the CO2 which isn't a lot even if you buy from a beer brewing craft store where this stuff is easily locally available. (I use the CO2 for beer as well.)

I've done the bag method too. You need the giant lawn bags from a hardware store. The best way is to get into the bag and rope it off around your chest with a robe-tie. Use a vacuum cleaner with thin nozzle to suck out the air, then insert the tube and turn on the valve until inflated. It's easy to get a tear in the bag particularly where you insert, so be careful, you will know if there is one because the bag normally takes 10 or 15 minutes to feel like it's beginning to deflate from CO2 absorption. If faster you probably have a tear which you can duct tape. Even a tiny one will be a problem owing to the pressure.

Last edited:
OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

You will need the CO2 tank, a regulator, a nice long length of appropriate size plastic tubing, and I find it convenient to splice a simple inexpensive valve in near the end of the tubing so you can top off the bag or bathtub without exiting or having to deal with the clumsy heavy tank. Plan on spending a couple hundred to get set up, after that its just the cost of the CO2 which isn't a lot even if you buy from a beer brewing craft store where this stuff is easily locally available. (I use the CO2 for beer as well.)

I've done the bag method too. You need the giant lawn bags from a hardware store. The best way is to get into the bag and rope it off around your chest with a robe-tie. Use a vacuum cleaner with thin nozzle to suck out the air, then insert the tube and turn on the valve until inflated. It's easy to get a tear in the bag particularly where you insert, so be careful, you will know if there is one because the bag normally takes 10 or 15 minutes to feel like it's beginning to deflate from CO2 absorption. If faster you probably have a tear which you can duct tape. Even a tiny one will be a problem owing to the pressure.
I already got the CO2 tank $75 (10 lb one) and the fill up was $25.

I just ordered:
Amazon product ASIN B01I67VKFWView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I67VKFW?psc=1&smid=A2P548QB25FDAR&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

and
Amazon product ASIN B08Z4D7TBSView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z4D7TBS?psc=1&smid=A3PBBBQFQLG1L7&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

In total it comes to around $150. Not bad!

meatbag

Quelsatron

There's no need to blow the bag up like a balloon, even a half flaccid bag will be fully concentrated with co2, you're not trying to pressurize the co2 into your body. Of course, you want enough to dilute the small amount of air left, and to inflate the bag enough that it's not sticking to your legs everywhere and lowering the surface area, but half flaccid is best, it also saves co2.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

There's no need to blow the bag up like a balloon, even a half flaccid bag will be fully concentrated with co2, you're not trying to pressurize the co2 into your body. Of course, you want enough to dilute the small amount of air left, and to inflate the bag enough that it's not sticking to your legs everywhere and lowering the surface area, but half flaccid is best, it also saves co2.
Thank you for this! We didn't fill the bag up as much like the first 2 times thinking it needed to be fully filled up.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

It was kind weird to look this up, but I was checking out body bags as a way to possibly cover the body (not head of course) with CO2 easier...ha

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals