Co Q10

iLoveSugar

Anyone have any input regarding Co Q10? Good? Bad? Help anything? Peaty? Good brand?

Dan W

Jenn said:
This is what I tried....
Now Foods Ubiquinol 100mg, Soft-gels, 60-Count

It's MTC based.

There's also a nice Now Foods CoQ10 powder if price-per-dose is an issue.

I don't know what the Peat-ey stance on CoQ10 is...

4peatssake

Peat has good things to say about it.

Ray Peat said:
Cells regulate their water content holistically, and, to a great extent, autonomously, by adjusting their structural proteins and their metabolism, but in the process they communicate with surrounding cells and with the organism as a whole, and consequently they will receive various materials needed to improve their stability, by adjusting their energy production, sensitivity, and structural composition.

When these intrinsic corrective processes are inadequate, as in hypothyroidism, with increased estrogen and serotonin, extrinsic factors, including special foods and drugs, can reinforce the adaptive mechanisms. These “adaptogens” can sometimes restore the system to perfect functioning, other times they can merely prevent further injury. Sometimes the adaptogens are exactly like those the body normally has, but that are needed in larger amounts during stress. Coenzyme Q10, vitamin K, short-chain fatty acids, ketoacids, niacinamide, and glycine are examples of this sort--they are always present, but increased amounts can improve resistance to stress.

Ray Peat said:
Carbon dioxide, glycine, GABA, saturated fatty acids (for example, Nanji, et al., 1997), vitamin K, coenzyme Q10, niacinamide, magnesium, red light, thyroid hormone, progesterone, testosterone, and pregnenolone are factors that can be increased to protect against inappropriate cellular excitation.

Ray Peat said:
All of the nutritional factors that participate in mitochondrial respiration contribute to maintaining a balance between excessive excitation and protective inhibition. Riboflavin, coenzyme Q10, vitamin K, niacinamide, thiamine, and selenium are the nutrients that most directly relate to mitochondrial energy production.

Surfari

It's supposed to help reduce inflammation of your gums. I give it to my cat (the vet recommended it) and it works for her.

haidut

Forum Supporter
He has said in several emails and articles that there is nothing CoQ10 can do that vitamin K cannot, and also do better in lower doses. So, instead of loading up on 2,400mg CoQ10 daily as in the Parkinson studies that were the only ones to show pro-metabolic effects, you may be better off financially and in terms of results by simply taking 15mg vitamin K2 (MK-4). Vitamin K can serve as an alternative electron carrier in complexes I and II even if CoQ10 is unavailable. So can methylene blue, and we all know how cheap MB is.

Hi haidut,would that apply in my situation as statins deplete Coq10,I have also learned they deplete k2, and some good doctors prescribe these along with statins. My dr won't and he can't look me in the face when I challenge him.I split my 40 mg statin in half to try and minimise side affects ,also because Taurine (as you suggested ) should lower my cholesterol.Im more worried about my LPa,ApoB, and Homocystine .Iloved your heart disease podcast.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi haidut,would that apply in my situation as statins deplete Coq10,I have also learned they deplete k2, and some good doctors prescribe these along with statins. My dr won't and he can't look me in the face when I challenge him.I split my 40 mg statin in half to try and minimise side affects ,also because Taurine (as you suggested ) should lower my cholesterol.Im more worried about my LPa,ApoB, and Homocystine .Iloved your heart disease podcast.

I think vitamin K in higher doses should be able to do for muscles what CoQ10 does. In addition, and unlike CoQ10, vitamin K2 lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. So, in combination with taurine, both your cholesterol and homocystein should go down. It usually takes about 4 weeks to see effects. How much taurine and K2 are you taking? You do understand that statins lower cholesterol in a very undesirable way, right? Taurine forces cholesterol utilization for creating bile salts and steroids, while vitamin K speed up synthesis of pregnenolone from cholesterol. Both of these methods are "good" ways to lower cholesterol. Statins inhibit cholesterol synthesis itself, which is about the most dangerous thing you can do cholesterol-wise given how much it is needed by every cell.

Thank you for responding,I take K2..mk4 15mg,taurine, 1500 mg,I stopped vitamin A because I eat lambs liver 3 times a week about 12 ounces ,spread over 7 days ( is that amount ok) for vit A. I definitely hate statins and I'm going off them completly very soon, they never lowered my cholesterol below 5.4 and that was on 80mg,so Ithink that was my saving grace.Haidut could I ask one favour of you ,could you look up an article on vit c I came across,Walter last vitamin C. You probably know it allready ,but Id love your opinion especially regarding the iron , and DMSO connection. I dont know how to make a proper link,I'm still learning.Thanks a lot

tara

I dont know how to make a proper link,I'm still learning.
I usually just copy the URL/web address from the address bar of the page I want to link to and paste it into the post here. Maybe there are other ways to do it, but that seems to work.

Parsifal

I think vitamin K in higher doses should be able to do for muscles what CoQ10 does. In addition, and unlike CoQ10, vitamin K2 lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. So, in combination with taurine, both your cholesterol and homocystein should go down. It usually takes about 4 weeks to see effects. How much taurine and K2 are you taking? You do understand that statins lower cholesterol in a very undesirable way, right? Taurine forces cholesterol utilization for creating bile salts and steroids, while vitamin K speed up synthesis of pregnenolone from cholesterol. Both of these methods are "good" ways to lower cholesterol. Statins inhibit cholesterol synthesis itself, which is about the most dangerous thing you can do cholesterol-wise given how much it is needed by every cell.
Do you know if coenzyme Q10 could do the same things that vitamin K does?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you know if coenzyme Q10 could do the same things that vitamin K does?

It's actually the other way around - vitamin K can do everything CoQ10 does and then some. Vitamin K can replace CoQ10 as electron carrier, and on top of that has functions in testosterone synthesis, bone health, glutamate metabolism, COX and LOX inhibition, blood coagulation, estrogen inhibition, etc that CoQ10 does not. Peat told some people over email pretty much the same thing - i.e. No need to gorge on 2g+ CoQ10 as shown in human studies when you can achieve the same with a few milligrams of vitamin K2.

Drareg

It's actually the other way around - vitamin K can do everything CoQ10 does and then some. Vitamin K can replace CoQ10 as electron carrier, and on top of that has functions in testosterone synthesis, bone health, glutamate metabolism, COX and LOX inhibition, blood coagulation, estrogen inhibition, etc that CoQ10 does not. Peat told some people over email pretty much the same thing - i.e. No need to gorge on 2g+ CoQ10 as shown in human studies when you can achieve the same with a few milligrams of vitamin K2.

Is there any research showing k2 specifically stopping adrenalin response? I understand indirectly it may be the case, k2 does seem to stop water retention.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there any research showing k2 specifically stopping adrenalin response? I understand indirectly it may be the case, k2 does seem to stop water retention.

I am not aware of such studies, otherwise I would have promptly posted them here. Adrenaline response is something many people struggle with and the substances I know of that help with that are adenosine agonists like inosine, creatine, and maybe even uric acid.

Drareg

I am not aware of such studies, otherwise I would have promptly posted them here. Adrenaline response is something many people struggle with and the substances I know of that help with that are adenosine agonists like inosine, creatine, and maybe even uric acid.

Thanks Haidut, I wouldn't be surprised if a study comes out in the future.
It's about finding balance with adrenalin, a mild toolbox substance would be great, I don't think anything too potent would be necessary, a substance that could overtime condition/modify the response.
Theanine seems effective without major side effects.

Makrosky

I've used Q10 a few times from a couple of brands, one of them very expensive with absolutely no fillers (toxinless!) and none of them made me feel any good effect. If anything... it made me feel a bit worse, somehow like a sad mood.

Very strange.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals