Clearing Histamine

M

marikay

Hello.

Does anyone know (off the top of their Peat Head) what food or easily obtainable supplement helps to clear histamine out of the system? I’m trying to limit the anti-histamines I use, but am finding it hard to get my body to clear the histamine it is making by eating the Peat friendly foods.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

LUH 3417

Vitamin C increases diamine oxidase, which metabolizes excess histamine, reduces blood histamine, and protects cells from immune stimulating oxidization, making Vitamin C one of the most effective anti-histamines.
That’s from google. I think RP is not for high dose vitamin C supplementation though. There’s also a low histamine diet that recommends avoiding aged foods like Parmesan cheese, wine, and frozen meats.

Last edited:
OP
M

marikay

Thanks for the tip on vitamin C. I’m not a huge eater of Parmesan cheese (though Ray recommends it). I know that Ray has said sugar works as an anti-histamine, but I was wondering what, if anything, clears the histamine the body naturally makes. I wonder if increasing orange juice would give enough of a vitamin C increase.

Thanks again.

HDD

@marikay
Several things mentioned in these excerpts that you may already be taking.

“And one of the things that turns on the production of more mast cells or the secretion or leakage of histamine from the mast cells is prostaglandins produced from the polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially prostaglandin E 2. “

“Yes, besides making the prostaglandins in themselves they cause changes in cells that disrupt their functions. In fact every function of the cell can be disrupted by too much of the polyunsaturated fats.
00:09:18 > And one of the worst things they do is to interrupt oxidative metabolism and the energy deficit I think is ultimately the thing that leads to really serious allergy problems.”

“It turns out that the same things that cure or help to escape from learned helplessness
00:19:38 > also helped to stop the or reduce the inflammatory reaction and reduce histamine production. And T3, the active form of thyroid hormone was one of the early things that discovered would cure learned helplessness and it does several things that prevent overproduction of histamine. It's been known for anti- inflammatory for a long time but one of its mechanisms is to stabilize mast cells so they don't secrete serotonin, histamine and other inflammatory things.”

“Yes, the calcium and vitamin D are
00:24:48 > two of the things that are very strongly anti-allergic. Magnesium is the most famous because of magnesium deficiency, they found caused terrific range of inflammatory diseases in animals and they would cure skin diseases, heart disease, nerve disease, liver disease and so on just by correcting a magnesium deficiency. With vitamin D and calcium working with magnesium are very important so that some people cure their allergies just by supplementing vitamin D or vitamin K which is the other major calcium regulating vitamin.”

“Dr. Ray Peat: Except sometimes they can break the pattern like vitamin E has antihistamine effect. For example, it prevents the formation of prostaglandins, and as a consequence will prevent the degranulation of mast cells, and so it can prevent the shift
00:31:00 > to the IgE antibody and the whole thing. Q: You’re saying the histamine is creating a vicious cycle so we do want to break that cycle? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, breaking the cycle. Even various antihistamines and other drugs can help to break that cycle. Q: And you said before that like nitric acid is also kind of a vicious loop going between histamine and nitric acid which you kind of created Andrew Murray: I think you mean nitric oxide I mean? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, histamine turns on the production of nitric oxide and nitric oxide signals a bunch of other inflammatory processes, but the worst thing is that it interferes with oxygen energy production. Q: Okay. So the mucus falling though is probably a good thing
00:32:02 > but it may be a part of that vicious cycle, I guess, that we would like to stop? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, the mucus itself is fine. It's helpful but you wouldn't have to produce it if you would then have the inflammation. “

“So two quick questions I have is, I've been experiencing terrible allergies for the past month and noticed that my symptoms dramatically flare up when I go to sleep like it’s very difficult for me to fall asleep. And do you know why that happens? That's the first question. The second question is what do you recommend I do to alleviate those Q: symptoms? Andrew Murray: Yes. Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, I think it's because that's when the parasympathetic system kicks in and it lowers your blood sugar and that combination turns on the histamine release and inflammation. And I experimented – I had that pattern of
00:34:06 > sleep onset asthma and I found that Jimson weed or atropine, the belladonna type chemical breaks the muscarinic part of the parasympathetic reaction. And I found that that would keep me from going in that very low blood sugar state. But the trouble is relying on the anti-cholinergic is that it tends to dry your mouth and that gives you tooth decay from the absence of saliva flow during the night. So it is an emergency treatment but the real thing I think is to adjust your thyroid and progesterone. Progesterone has broad variety of antihistamine effects. Estrogen
00:35:08 > turns on both the multiplication of mast cells and their tendency to release histamine and serotonin. And so getting your thyroid to a good level will reduce your estrogen and increase your progesterone and shift the balance in histamine production. Aspirin is another antihistamine that works indirectly by reducing prostaglandin production and nitric oxide production and such. Andrew Murray: You could easily take the three – say 325 milligram tablets in the day. I know some people who take considerably more than that and in conjunction with vitamin K one drop per 325 milligram tablet if it is one ml per drop vitamin K 2 solution is adequate to offset any potential hemorrhagic or
00:36:10 > hemodynamic effects of blood thinning that some individual may get, it’s relatively rare but so 900 milligrams a day, that would be a fairly – for people that are suffering with allergies that would also be quite a good approach to self treatment. Dr. Ray Peat: I think so. And sometimes just taking 300 to 500 milligrams before bedtime so they get time to get absorbed before you actually falling asleep.”

Ray Peat

fradon

Hello.

Does anyone know (off the top of their Peat Head) what food or easily obtainable supplement helps to clear histamine out of the system? I’m trying to limit the anti-histamines I use, but am finding it hard to get my body to clear the histamine it is making by eating the Peat friendly foods.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
eating less protein can help

protien stimulates stomach acid adn that also increases histmaine

LUH 3417

This works for me as does eating less in general. Every time I over eat I have worse allergies

OP
M

marikay

@marikay
Several things mentioned in these excerpts that you may already be taking.

“And one of the things that turns on the production of more mast cells or the secretion or leakage of histamine from the mast cells is prostaglandins produced from the polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially prostaglandin E 2. “

“Yes, besides making the prostaglandins in themselves they cause changes in cells that disrupt their functions. In fact every function of the cell can be disrupted by too much of the polyunsaturated fats.
00:09:18 > And one of the worst things they do is to interrupt oxidative metabolism and the energy deficit I think is ultimately the thing that leads to really serious allergy problems.”

“It turns out that the same things that cure or help to escape from learned helplessness
00:19:38 > also helped to stop the or reduce the inflammatory reaction and reduce histamine production. And T3, the active form of thyroid hormone was one of the early things that discovered would cure learned helplessness and it does several things that prevent overproduction of histamine. It's been known for anti- inflammatory for a long time but one of its mechanisms is to stabilize mast cells so they don't secrete serotonin, histamine and other inflammatory things.”

“Yes, the calcium and vitamin D are
00:24:48 > two of the things that are very strongly anti-allergic. Magnesium is the most famous because of magnesium deficiency, they found caused terrific range of inflammatory diseases in animals and they would cure skin diseases, heart disease, nerve disease, liver disease and so on just by correcting a magnesium deficiency. With vitamin D and calcium working with magnesium are very important so that some people cure their allergies just by supplementing vitamin D or vitamin K which is the other major calcium regulating vitamin.”

“Dr. Ray Peat: Except sometimes they can break the pattern like vitamin E has antihistamine effect. For example, it prevents the formation of prostaglandins, and as a consequence will prevent the degranulation of mast cells, and so it can prevent the shift
00:31:00 > to the IgE antibody and the whole thing. Q: You’re saying the histamine is creating a vicious cycle so we do want to break that cycle? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, breaking the cycle. Even various antihistamines and other drugs can help to break that cycle. Q: And you said before that like nitric acid is also kind of a vicious loop going between histamine and nitric acid which you kind of created Andrew Murray: I think you mean nitric oxide I mean? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, histamine turns on the production of nitric oxide and nitric oxide signals a bunch of other inflammatory processes, but the worst thing is that it interferes with oxygen energy production. Q: Okay. So the mucus falling though is probably a good thing
00:32:02 > but it may be a part of that vicious cycle, I guess, that we would like to stop? Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, the mucus itself is fine. It's helpful but you wouldn't have to produce it if you would then have the inflammation. “

“So two quick questions I have is, I've been experiencing terrible allergies for the past month and noticed that my symptoms dramatically flare up when I go to sleep like it’s very difficult for me to fall asleep. And do you know why that happens? That's the first question. The second question is what do you recommend I do to alleviate those Q: symptoms? Andrew Murray: Yes. Dr. Ray Peat: Yes, I think it's because that's when the parasympathetic system kicks in and it lowers your blood sugar and that combination turns on the histamine release and inflammation. And I experimented – I had that pattern of
00:34:06 > sleep onset asthma and I found that Jimson weed or atropine, the belladonna type chemical breaks the muscarinic part of the parasympathetic reaction. And I found that that would keep me from going in that very low blood sugar state. But the trouble is relying on the anti-cholinergic is that it tends to dry your mouth and that gives you tooth decay from the absence of saliva flow during the night. So it is an emergency treatment but the real thing I think is to adjust your thyroid and progesterone. Progesterone has broad variety of antihistamine effects. Estrogen
00:35:08 > turns on both the multiplication of mast cells and their tendency to release histamine and serotonin. And so getting your thyroid to a good level will reduce your estrogen and increase your progesterone and shift the balance in histamine production. Aspirin is another antihistamine that works indirectly by reducing prostaglandin production and nitric oxide production and such. Andrew Murray: You could easily take the three – say 325 milligram tablets in the day. I know some people who take considerably more than that and in conjunction with vitamin K one drop per 325 milligram tablet if it is one ml per drop vitamin K 2 solution is adequate to offset any potential hemorrhagic or
00:36:10 > hemodynamic effects of blood thinning that some individual may get, it’s relatively rare but so 900 milligrams a day, that would be a fairly – for people that are suffering with allergies that would also be quite a good approach to self treatment. Dr. Ray Peat: I think so. And sometimes just taking 300 to 500 milligrams before bedtime so they get time to get absorbed before you actually falling asleep.”

Ray Peat
Wow. Having it all in one place like this is fantastic. Thanks so much. I’m doing most of the things here, though I thought aspirin might be increasing histamine, but I’ll double my efforts and think about taking more T3 and progesterone.

OP
M

marikay

Thanks for replying. I’m only getting about 50 grams of protein a day and have been under the impression that I am getting too little protein. But I’ll keep this in mind before I missively increase the protein.

ddjd

copper. i get the stuff from mitosynergy. awesome for helping DAO enzyme.

OP
M

marikay

I definately need to increase my copper intake. I haven’t been good at getting liver once a week or getting enough seafood. Can you point me to the place to buy mitosynergy and let me know why this one is better than most?

Thanks again. This may be the clue....

OP
M

marikay

Cost of this supplement is prohibitive. I guess I’ll just increase chocolate and shellfish.

ddjd

Always a catch :)

Well I’ll have to get on the liver wagon then. Thanks again.
if you buy just the pure powder from mitosynergy - its a gram for about 90 usd i think. It will literally last for years. you only need a very small amount every day

Arrade

Vitamin C increases diamine oxidase, which metabolizes excess histamine, reduces blood histamine, and protects cells from immune stimulating oxidization, making Vitamin C one of the most effective anti-histamines.
That’s from google. I think RP is not for high dose vitamin C supplementation though. There’s also a low histamine diet that recommends avoiding aged foods like Parmesan cheese, wine, and frozen meats.
I want to say Peat is only against what was bad processing/toxified vitamin C
Just find a good source and look up Linus Pauling's research

L

lollipop

Thank you for this. You just confirmed something for me about Quali C. I take Dr. Best capsules:

• ULTRA-fine pure l-ascorbic acid powder (Quali-C ®)
  • Not manufactured in China
  • Laboratory tested to be 100% corn free
  • Free of Genetically Modified Organisms (no GMOs)
  • Hypoallergenic
I was not sure if Quali C was GMO free. I knew it was not from China. Next question would be about iron content.

managing

Thank you for this. You just confirmed something for me about Quali C. I take Dr. Best capsules:

• ULTRA-fine pure l-ascorbic acid powder (Quali-C ®)
  • Not manufactured in China
  • Laboratory tested to be 100% corn free
  • Free of Genetically Modified Organisms (no GMOs)
  • Hypoallergenic
I was not sure if Quali C was GMO free. I knew it was not from China. Next question would be about iron content.
It appears to me that this is the original Roche process and manufacturing. RP liked it in the 50s, and then it changed (according to previous posts). So, is it good, or is it potentially contaminated w/ heavy metals?

Source:

" This particular Vitamin C is a brand of ascorbic acid made by DSM which is the last and only Western producer of vitamin C! All their vitamin C is produced in a world-class DSM-owned facility in Dalry, Scotland. In fact, DSM/Roche was the first company to synthesise vitamin C back in 1938, and has been a leading producer for over 75 years. Quali®-C is the world’s first branded vitamin C, and buying it guarantees you the peace of mind you can only get from the best supplier. If you want more in-depth information though about this particular product, visit this website:
DSM talks vitamin quality with Quali-C brand"

From an Amazon.com review.

L

lollipop

It appears to me that this is the original Roche process and manufacturing. RP liked it in the 50s, and then it changed (according to previous posts). So, is it good, or is it potentially contaminated w/ heavy metals?

Source:

" This particular Vitamin C is a brand of ascorbic acid made by DSM which is the last and only Western producer of vitamin C! All their vitamin C is produced in a world-class DSM-owned facility in Dalry, Scotland. In fact, DSM/Roche was the first company to synthesise vitamin C back in 1938, and has been a leading producer for over 75 years. Quali®-C is the world’s first branded vitamin C, and buying it guarantees you the peace of mind you can only get from the best supplier. If you want more in-depth information though about this particular product, visit this website:
DSM talks vitamin quality with Quali-C brand"

From an Amazon.com review.
Interesting.