Cleaning Products

Jing

How do you deal with cleaning products? They always give me headaches and stuffy nose and I'm sure not doing good for my body, how do I protect my body from them?

Mary Lyn

I make my own - white vinegar, soap nut liquid (boiled soap nuts) distilled water and esential oils. I use this for everything including washing my hands. About one third each vinegar, nuts and water.

OP
J

Jing

I make my own - white vinegar, soap nut liquid (boiled soap nuts) distilled water and esential oils. I use this for everything including washing my hands. About one third each vinegar, nuts and water.
I would use my own too but it's everyone around me who uses cleaning products that have all these bad chemicals, so I'm looking for a solution to help my body deal with them because everyone else seems to do fine with them.

Mary Lyn

I would use my own too but it's everyone around me who uses cleaning products that have all these bad chemicals, so I'm looking for a solution to help my body deal with them because everyone else seems to do fine with them.

I stopped reacting as much when I cleaned up my own home and diet.

OP
J

Jing

I stopped reacting as much when I cleaned up my own home and diet.
Other people are still going to use the products I'm talking about so I need a way to not react to them... What makes me react to them but not other people? Also it's not just cleaning products it can be when I'm out and walk past someone who has sprayed lots of body spray... Diet doesn't seem to do anything to help with this...

Mary Lyn

Other people are still going to use the products I'm talking about so I need a way to not react to them... What makes me react to them but not other people? Also it's not just cleaning products it can be when I'm out and walk past someone who has sprayed lots of body spray... Diet doesn't seem to do anything to help with this...

With me it was a massive exposure to pesticide that made me sensitive to all chemicals. There are disagreements about how it works but the body stops being able to cope with chemicals so eating organic is important. If you are living in a toxic environment then you need to get out.

OP
J

Jing

With me it was a massive exposure to pesticide that made me sensitive to all chemicals. There are disagreements about how it works but the body stops being able to cope with chemicals so eating organic is important. If you are living in a toxic environment then you need to get out.
Getting out of the environment isn't possible, like I said i also react when people walk past me with body spray so it's not possible to stay away I need something to stop my body reacting.

OP
J

Jing

You could wear a mask outside? Vitmain C is supposed to help with exposures.
Could wear a mask but I will feel to self conscious lol, I've taken vitamin c before not noticed it helping how much vitamin c?

Mary Lyn

Well Asians wear them in crowded cities in my country. A bit of embarassment is better than reactions. I think you need a big dose. Not sure how much I have not done that.

Beastmode

My wife and I use Sal Suds dilluted for just about everything (dishes, floors, etc. and vinegar is great as well.

It's a massive difference not smelling all those toxins that most cleaning products have.

Literally

I also have experimented with making my own cleaners, but there is lots of bad advice on the Internet about it.
You will routinely see for example people that recommend mixing acids and bases, and even mixtures that can be highly toxic.

My tips...

To clean cutting boards and sinks and stuff that I really want to disinfect, one thing I will do is spray with vinegar for ~5 minutes then rinse and separately spray with hydrogen peroxide. You will see lots of advice to combine them but apparently whatever acid they form in combination can be truly nasty if breathed.

Just don't use sponges, except for like, sopping up large amounts of liquid (their actual intended use) and then disinfect after each use.

Vinegar alone is a great cleaner for a lot of things but learn what you shouldn't use it on vs. where it's okay for surface cleaning vs. where it excels. For example, there is a reason many commercial toilet cleaning products are acid based (as opposed to many other cleaners which tend to be soap or surfactant based, and thus basic). By looking at whether the popular commercial products are acid or basic you can follow their lead with vinegar or plain old soap and water (or for surfactants, something like the Sal's Suds already recommended.

The hardest recipes to DIY at home are dish detergent and laundry detergent. Rather than wasting your time with a lot of the dippy recipes on the Internet, you are probably better off buying an environmentally friendly commercial product or at least buying a relatively benign source of surfactants (like Sal's suds) and "making your own" from there.

I would be very wary of much of the DIY advice on the Internet for natural wood and leather and floor care also. Do not put random oils on your wood, instead stick to those traditionally used such as linseed, etc. I think in many cases the best thing for floors is just water.

I also make an alcohol based "thieves oil" cleaner. This is a combination of essential oils with 70-75% alcohol. For disinfecting purposes, higher concentrations of alcohol have been found to be counterproductive, because they evaporate too fast. You can look up various "thieves blends"... there is not a definitive one. Supposedly it's based on an old herb mix, which helped people survive the Black Plague. But all the essential oils in modern recipes have research backing their antimicrobial properties. There is a woman on the Internet (cannot find link right now) who has tested this type of solution against some of the leading toxic disinfectants, in Petri dishes, and the "thieves" blend based cleaner was the only one that held a candle to the effectiveness of the toxic cleaners, and nearly matched them. A very small amount of bacteria did grow in one or two or her many sample dishes -- very limited. Whereas for all the commercial, toxic cleaners there was actually zero in all dishes. But all the other "natural" disinfectants didn't work at all (except possibly by affecting what ended up growing all over the Petri dishes). I use between 1% and 2% concentration. If you get towards 2% some of the skin reactions that people can have can become more of an issue. That being said, if you tolerate the oils and aren't worried about the alcohol exposure, you can use this as a replacement for hand sanitizer also. I personally do think regular skin exposure to alcohol is not a great idea, but if I have a special need to sterilize hands, I'll use it. Otherwise, we use it for spray and wipe type cleaning for surfaces, doorknobs, and other situations where you don't want to have to wipe off soap of worry about vinegar's effects. It should be kept in a blue or brown glass spray bottle.

I also make my own tooth powder, body wash, shave oil, anti-bug spray, etc. when time allows.

southcesar

What do you use to clean tile floors? I've seen a lot of people on the internet saying that the natural way to clean would be using vinegar, however, vinegar spoils the grout in the long run.

What do you use?

Beastmode

What do you use to clean tile floors? I've seen a lot of people on the internet saying that the natural way to clean would be using vinegar, however, vinegar spoils the grout in the long run.

What do you use?
Sal Suds dilluted in water works well for us.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals