Claim: Vitamin D is produced only between 9 A.M. and 4 P.M.

pboy

Re: Claim: Vitamin D is produced only between 9 A.M. and 4 P

I don't think this is the case...but what if vitamin D was actually extremely important and sunlight has always been such a natural occurance its built into our physiology...that would explain why people these days are less healthy than before without even factoring in food or exercise or emotions or anything...its just the fact people are inside more often and wearing more clothing in general. One thing to note is that most healthy indigenous people or places where people seem to be healthier and live longer...generally they are working outside or outside most of the day. Isnt sunlight itself a potent antimicrobial? Maybe we aren't actually meant to always have billions of lactobacilli and what not on our skin and hair and all that that western science considers normal...simply because its prevalent in our lifestyle

jyb

pboy said:
I don't think this is the case...but what if vitamin D was actually extremely important and sunlight has always been such a natural occurance its built into our physiology...that would explain why people these days are less healthy than before without even factoring in food or exercise or emotions or anything...its just the fact people are inside more often and wearing more clothing in general. One thing to note is that most healthy indigenous people or places where people seem to be healthier and live longer...generally they are working outside or outside most of the day. Isnt sunlight itself a potent antimicrobial? Maybe we aren't actually meant to always have billions of lactobacilli and what not on our skin and hair and all that that western science considers normal...simply because its prevalent in our lifestyle

RP wrote about absence of light being one of the few key stressors but his reasoning barely involves vitamin D at all.

pboy

that's kind of what I have a hunch about...like I think sunlight is important for vitamin D, but theres probably a lot more it does that perhaps isn't well known. Like plants need sun for all kinds of reasons and I don't think they produce vitamin D. Just the fact that sunlight alone deactivates most microbes is pretty powerful, I wonder if letting sunlight get into your eyes could help in some way purify them...theres been a lot of studies from the 1800, early 1900 where people would use sunlight to improve and restore lost vision...not necessarily staring into it, but small flickers of exposure on occasion. As ive got healthier, I no longer need sunglasses...in fact sun on my eyes actually feels good now

OP
J

j.

There are other substances that are generated in addition to vitamin D, but these weren't yet studied extensively.

I think the emphasis on Vitamin D is a classic example of assuming correlation implies causation. It's hard to separate observationally from other effects of sun exposure.

We know that low vitamin D is associated with poor health outcomes, but we also know sunlight is necessary to maintain normal circadian rhythms and activate respiratory enzymes. It may also have other key effects we aren't aware of. People assume they can take a vitamin D pill instead of going outside, but I doubt it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I must be part flower :lol: I find life quite unbearable without the sun! The red light helped this past winter but it wasn't the same. My vitamin D has been in range for the past five years so for me it is definitely about more than adequate D.
When pboy mentioned the antimicrobial action it made me wonder about all the staph infections we see today. They are so prevalent that 'medicine' differentiates between healthcare acquired and community acquired medication resistant staph infections! I know it's a complicated issue but could our lack of time outdoors in sunlight play a role? Maybe.

mt_dreams

j. said:
Michael Holick said:
Even at the equator vitamin D production occurs at 9 AM and ends by 4 PM.

some say the sun (via UVB) is only strong enough to produce vitamin D in us when its altitude is greater than 35 degrees (or 50 depending on who you ask), as anything below that gets filtered out by the earths protective shield.

For ex, if you live in Florida, today high noon was 1:20ish, and using 35 degrees, it would be possible to produce vitamin D from the sun from 9:15-5:15 (using 50 degrees it would be 10:25-4:15). If it was December 1st, then using 35 degrees it would be 10:15-2, using 50 degrees, it would be 0, as the sun never surpasses 42 degrees on Dec 1st.

you can check the suns altitude for any given location
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

the following chart shows the difference b/w uva & uvb during a typical cloudless summer day
http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Sun/A ... y-20120721

aside from 2-3 minute breaks every hour throughout the day, the only direct long term sun exposure I get during the warmer months is sunrise to 9, and 6pm to sunset ... unless it's the weekend, and I'm at the beach :)