Citrus Fruit Causes Sunburn And Increased Melanoma Risk?

dq139

I was reading a article that said the "Psoralens" a natural chemical in citrus fruit and some veggie like celery for ex. make your skin burn easier in the sun and has photocarcinogenic properties....I haven't taken notice to this in the past but it said that light skinned people will notice significant sensitivity even a day after citrus consumption....I'm olive skinned so I don't burn usually at all, but still have gotten my share of bad burns in my life going to the beach and staying out for hours in the direct sun....I work outside and I'm kind of afraid now because every morning I have orange juice and a big cup of Yerba Mate w/fresh Lemon and Lime juice....thought I was doing something healthy because of the vitamin C should protect my skin....I don't want to die from melanoma to be honest haha..should I not drink citrus any more considering I work outside and don't use sunscreen (sunscreen has estrogenic chemicals in it)?...I don't know what to do to be honest lol

heres the article: Eat a lot of citrus? Be careful in the sun

Crazycoco

Regarding citrus fruits and melanoma it appears to be true.

BUT, there a simple way to avoid this risk: eat the peels too! They found That people who eat the peels avoid the skin problème (melanoma etc) too.

OP
D

dq139

Regarding citrus fruits and melanoma it appears to be true.

BUT, there a simple way to avoid this risk: eat the peels too! They found That people who eat the peels avoid the skin problème (melanoma etc) too.

what if the citrus is in Juice form? and also what if the lemon or orange isn't organic do the skin get sprayed with pesticides?

Crazycoco

what if the citrus is in Juice form? and also what if the lemon or orange isn't organic do the skin get sprayed with pesticides?

Organic is better of course. Regarding the juice it depends if it has peels in it. The best things Would be IMO

Organic Oranges with Some peels, fresh squeezes OJ, and pasturized ones

OP
D

dq139

Organic is better of course. Regarding the juice it depends if it has peels in it. The best things Would be IMO

Organic Oranges with Some peels, fresh squeezes OJ, and pasturized ones

Ok will try that...but how can citrus cause sunburn and melanoma if most people who eat citrus fruit live in the tropics and get alot of harsh sun?

Crazycoco

Observational study so we dont exactly know/how. But there is a link. The peel is full of antioxydants so... Let's give it a try.

But dont forget: life is a deadly and contagions disease. In the end you gonna die from something...

Soren

Forum Supporter
I am extremely sceptical of this study to say the least.

First thing they put grapefruit and orange juice in the same category. This is misleading because while grapefruit and oranges may look similar they have very different biological effects.

Grapefruit is highly estrogeneric. It causes the build up of estrogen in the liver by interfering with the P450 enzyme and this causes a huge accumulation of estrogen. In some maternity wards they no longer serve grapefruit juice to pregnant mothers because of its estrogeneric effects.

From the article,
" What they found in two large samples totalling more than 100,000 white men and women, is that high consumption of grapefruit and to a lesser extent orange juice was associated with a somewhat higher risk of malignant melanoma."​

It appears that grapefruit increases the risk more than oranges, this is likely due to the high estrogeneric effect.

Furthermore it appears that the pulp from oranges and grapefruits is the culprit. Ray has long stated that the pulp from oranges should be avoided,
"The concentrations of the photoactive compounds vary in different parts of the fruit. It just so happens that in oranges the pulp is richer with these compounds. In grapefruits it’s the fibrous material that surrounds the pulp."
"For example, in our study fresh grapefruit showed a significant association with melanoma whereas grapefruit juice did not."​

Tenacity

I am extremely sceptical of this study to say the least.

First thing they put grapefruit and orange juice in the same category. This is misleading because while grapefruit and oranges may look similar they have very different biological effects.

Grapefruit is highly estrogeneric. It causes the build up of estrogen in the liver by interfering with the P450 enzyme and this causes a huge accumulation of estrogen. In some maternity wards they no longer serve grapefruit juice to pregnant mothers because of its estrogeneric effects.

From the article,
" What they found in two large samples totalling more than 100,000 white men and women, is that high consumption of grapefruit and to a lesser extent orange juice was associated with a somewhat higher risk of malignant melanoma."​

It appears that grapefruit increases the risk more than oranges, this is likely due to the high estrogeneric effect.

Furthermore it appears that the pulp from oranges and grapefruits is the culprit. Ray has long stated that the pulp from oranges should be avoided,
"The concentrations of the photoactive compounds vary in different parts of the fruit. It just so happens that in oranges the pulp is richer with these compounds. In grapefruits it’s the fibrous material that surrounds the pulp."
"For example, in our study fresh grapefruit showed a significant association with melanoma whereas grapefruit juice did not."​

I believe Peat has also said that melanoma occurs due to estrogen, so that could be why grapefruit increases its incidence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals