Citrulline: ↑Circulation, ↓ INOS In Endotoxinemia

Mossy

out of interest, did you ever get your 23andme genetic testing done?
I have not, but it does interest me to some degree.

OP
W

Wolf

I'm open to this perspective. I checked my records, and the dose of citrulline malate that caused me low pulse, was 830mg. Maybe I can try a lower dose, or watermelon rinds juiced, or beet juice, which I have been taking. Ultimately, I am open to the idea of adding in a bit of N.O., short-term, to see if a better balance is created. I can say, based on my past citrulline experience, and some experience with arginine, I definitely don't do well will larger doses--so, it's no mystery that it was easy for me stay away from anything N.O. once I heard Peat's perspective on it.
Wider vessels, less force needed to pump blood. Finding a balance between citrulline/arginine and sodium is personal.

Mossy

Wider vessels, less force needed to pump blood. Finding a balance between citrulline/arginine and sodium is personal.
For sure. I'll have to test and fine-tune it; and with my body, that could be interesting--I'm highly sensitive to most supplements.

A.R

This is specifically my point of interest in it, now, verses for working out.

I’ve been having what I would define as breathing/respiratory issues, as well as a sensitive/weak heart. So, your post, and @Vinero’s, caught my interest. The thought that really hit me is maybe a pro-Peat diet might be so anti-N.O., that for those in poor health, or with susceptibilities (as in your case g), there could be some exceptions to the rules. It’s at least worth consideration and investigation.
I have been having similar breathing/cough problems, and I have also ordered some citrulline malate. I will be stacking it alongside beta alanine/gelatin/malic acid.

I have already had positive results with the gelatin/glycine/beta alanine/malic acid stack, so it will be interesting how citrulline works alongside.

A.R

Indeed, almost everything Ray Peat recommends lowers NO. Caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin E, Progesterone, Methylene blue, etc. all lower nitric oxide. Imagine a person taking all of these supplements, and on top of that supplementing lysine which blocks arginine absorption. The body will become unable to make any NO.
This was very helpful information thank you

A.R

Can I interpret this thread as saying supplementing to raise N.O., as with citrulline, may be beneficial short-term, to counter pathogens/infection--though, in a general health-sense, N.O. raisers would be anti-Peat and frowned upon?

I ask, because I did see Vinero's thread, about combating pneumonia, seemingly brought on by anti-N.O. lysine. I'm been Peating for about 10 months now, so my diet and supplementation has been anti-N.O., and for the first time in my life, and current state of health decline, I'm dealing with a chest issue, that is troubling me. I'm wondering if I should try citrulline, to raise N.O., if that could help.

For the record, I've tried citrulline in the past, for working out, and it brought my pulse dangerously low (40's). But, my thought would be to take a much smaller amount, to see what it does for my chest. Any thoughts are welcome.
How is your chest/breathing problems?

A.R

My own experience with dosing Citrulline and Arginine is that it can increase the vein popping effect of a workout(cortisol) which can be prevented with some l theanine. I dose 5g/5g Arginine:Citrulline since Citrulline functions as an Arginase Inhibitor and can potentiate Arginine. I am not as sensitive to "bad" food while taking as low as 5g:5g and I have no issues when I dose 5g:5g every 3-4 hours.
I notice it is much easier to gain "hard" muscle mass when taking this combination and strength gains tend to be more linear instead of plateauing. I also make sure to take enough salt to support the increasing blood flow/metabolic rate.
My grandpa passed away due to sepsis created by a negligient nursing home environment. Roughly a year later I developed an increasingly problematic case of sepsis so I'm pretty paranoid about this topic generally speaking.
Are you still getting positive effects from citrulline?

Mossy

How is your chest/breathing problems?
Hello, that chest issue and any breathing issues have diminished considerably. They seem to be related to adverse effects to supplements, tough I tend to think they're stress/serotonin related as well.

Over all my health is better, though far from optimal.

P.S. I've edited this post to take out my description of another chest issue I had which is different than this one. I got the two confused. The one I took out was about an acute and severe chest issue I had quite some time ago.

Last edited:

Mossy

I have been having similar breathing/cough problems, and I have also ordered some citrulline malate. I will be stacking it alongside beta alanine/gelatin/malic acid.

I have already had positive results with the gelatin/glycine/beta alanine/malic acid stack, so it will be interesting how citrulline works alongside.
Glad to hear you've had success so far. Hopefully citrulline will work for you as well. Another amino acid that may be worth looking into is agmatine.

A.R

This was very helpful information thank you
Glad to hear you've had success so far. Hopefully citrulline will work for you as well. Another amino acid that may be worth looking into is agmatine.

Thanks for the tip regarding agmatine.

OP
W

Wolf

Are you still getting positive effects from citrulline?
Yes. Although I only tend to dose around workouts nowadays. For a time I was dosing it daily to help energy for long weeks. My new hyperfixation is allicin.

OP
W

Wolf

For my reference and others, I experienced pretty crappy effects from a few citrulline supplements until I tried the Kyowa Quality Doctor's Best brand. Assuming they're still using the same raw material and not adulterating it, then it should still be good. My last purchase around October was good and all effects are as expected. Note this is straight L-Citrulline and not some citrulline bonded to something else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals