Citrulline: ↑Circulation, ↓ INOS In Endotoxinemia

Wolf

Citrulline a More Suitable Substrate than Arginine to Restore NO Production and the Microcirculation during Endotoxemia
"To study the effects of L-Citrulline and L-Arginine supplementation on jejunal microcirculation, intracellular arginine availability and NO production in a non-lethal prolonged endotoxemia model in mice. C57/Bl6 mice received an 18 hrs intravenous infusion of endotoxin (LPS, 0.4 µg•g bodyweight−1•h−1), combined with either L-Citrulline (6.25 mg•h-1), L-Arginine (6.25 mg•h−1), or L-Alanine (isonitrogenous control; 12.5 mg•h−1) during the last 6 hrs."

"An imbalance in Nitric Oxide (NO) metabolism at the cellular level, especially the endothelium, is thought to play a crucial role in the development of endotoxemic-related microcirculatory disturbances, such as in sepsis [15][18]. NO is produced by the conversion of arginine into citrulline by one of the three isoforms of nitric-oxide synthase (NOS) and is thought to depend largely on extracellular arginine availability, which is decreased during endotoxemia and sepsis [15], [17], [19]. Several mechanisms were proposed to explain arginine deficiency in diseases with an increased arginine catabolism such as endotoxemia and sepsis. Especially, enhanced activity of Arginase-1 [20], [21] and iNOS (NOS2), but also diminished de novo arginine synthesis from citrulline and a diminished de novo citrulline synthesis are relevant mechanism which contribute to arginine deficiency [17], [19], [22]. iNOS can produce excessive amounts of NO during endotoxemia, which contributes to the decreased arterial pressure and abnormal distribution of the blood flow in the microcirculation [18], [23], [24]. The resulting low plasma arginine levels may lead to decreased intracellular substrate availability in the microvasculature for eNOS (NOS3) [17]. This decreased substrate availability in combination with endotoxemia-induced eNOS downregulation results in decreased eNOS-mediated NO production, which is considered to result in the microcirculatory disturbances in sepsis [25]. Interestingly, L-Arginine supplementation in prolonged endotoxemia and sepsis failed to increase the intracellular NO production despite increased arginine plasma availability [26][30], hypothetically because the intracellular arginine does not increase during L-Arginine supplementation [15], [22]."

"These characteristic clinical manifestations of endotoxemia (piloerection/erection of the fur, exudates around the eyes and nostrils, lethargy, hypothermia, diarrhea and diminished locomotor activity) were scored by the animal care taker, blinded for treatment. A 2-points (absent/present) score was used for lethargy, hypothermia and diarrhea, and a 3-points score (absent/moderate/severe) for the evaluation of piloerection/erection of the fur, exudates around the eyes/nostrils and diminished locomotor activity."(Funnily enough my presentation when I was ill)

"The L-Citrulline and L-Arginine dosages were extrapolated from the arginine dosages used in both porcine endotoxemia [34] and a human arginine supplementation study (Luiking, Poeze, Deutz, unpublished data), taking in consideration that the nitrogen requirements in rodents are ten times higher than in humans"

"The iNOS protein concentration changed in an opposite detection, with significantly lower levels in the control (P<0.05) and LPS-Cit group (P<0.01) than in the LPS-Ala and LPS-Arg group. (C) "

"Endotoxemia resulted in a significantly decreased total number of perfused vessels (1 µm≤diameter≤50 µm) in the LPS-Ala group compared to control (n = 8; P<0.01; Figure 2A). L-Arginine administration during endotoxemia did not result in a restoration of the number of perfused vessels (n = 8; P<0.05). In contrast, L-Citrulline supplementation during endotoxemia restored the total number of perfused vessels to nearly the number of vessels seen in the control group (n = 8; P = 1.0). "

"Here we show that L-Arginine supplementation increased tissue NO production as assessed with ESR spectroscopy combined with in vivo NO-trapping, while the jejunal microcirculation did not improve. We consider that a disbalance between iNOS and eNOS-mediated NO release could explain the lack of improvement in microcirculation. Under normal physiological conditions, eNOS activity is central to the microcirculatory homeostasis. However, during endotoxemia and inflammation, iNOS is upregulated whereas eNOS expression is downregulated [25] resulting in a disrupted microvascular perfusion, a redistribution of the microcirculatory flow, hypoxia, and eventually organ failure [2], [25]. In line, the present study demonstrated a disturbed microcirculation and low degree in tissue phosphorylation of eNOS-protein levels in the LPS-Ala group, which were both not restored by supplementation of L-Arginine. Moreover, L-Arginine supplementation did not affect iNOS protein levels compared to the LPS-Ala group. Interestingly, L-Citrulline supplementation resulted in a similar tissue NO increase, while both arginine and citrulline tissue levels were increased. We consider that the reduced iNOS protein levels combined with the enhanced levels of active eNOS and the enhanced arginine concentrations in tissue following L-Citrulline supplementation are responsible for the improved microcirculation. These data strongly suggest that the citrulline availability appears to be the key factor rather than arginine to enhance the eNOS-derived NO production, to reduce iNOS protein levels and thereby improve organ perfusion during endotoxemia....In line with these data, Shen et al. [27] reported that citrulline is the major arginine pool for eNOS-mediated NO production, while extracellular arginine forms the only arginine pool for iNOS-induced NO production [27]...."
========================================
Please forgive my obsession with endotoxin, iNOS and sepsis, throwing up blood for several years changes your outlook on quite a few things.

OP
W

Wolf

My own experience with dosing Citrulline and Arginine is that it can increase the vein popping effect of a workout(cortisol) which can be prevented with some l theanine. I dose 5g/5g Arginine:Citrulline since Citrulline functions as an Arginase Inhibitor and can potentiate Arginine. I am not as sensitive to "bad" food while taking as low as 5g:5g and I have no issues when I dose 5g:5g every 3-4 hours.
I notice it is much easier to gain "hard" muscle mass when taking this combination and strength gains tend to be more linear instead of plateauing. I also make sure to take enough salt to support the increasing blood flow/metabolic rate.
My grandpa passed away due to sepsis created by a negligient nursing home environment. Roughly a year later I developed an increasingly problematic case of sepsis so I'm pretty paranoid about this topic generally speaking.

Vinero

Interesting. I just posted a thread yesterday where I explained that long-term lysine supplementation, which blocks arginine absorption and NO production,
resulted in endotoxin overload and infection.
Warning To People Taking Lysine
I am currently not taking lysine. I am not taking arginine or citrulline either. I think the naturally occuring amounts of lysine and arginine in protein rich foods is the safest.
If I understand this study correctly supplementing citrulline or arginine is actually helpful if you supect endotoxin overload?

OP
W

Wolf

Interesting. I just posted a thread yesterday where I explained that long-term lysine supplementation, which blocks arginine absorption and NO production,
resulted in endotoxin overload and infection.
Warning To People Taking Lysine
I am currently not taking lysine. I am not taking arginine or citrulline either. I think the naturally occuring amounts of lysine and arginine in protein rich foods is the safest.
If I understand this study correctly supplementing citrulline or arginine is actually helpful if you supect endotoxin overload?
I would make the argument to only take Citrulline as it was the substance shown to confer protection based on this study. However, based on other research I believe that Citrulline's inhibition of Arginase makes supplemental Arginine more suitable for supplementation.
I disagree with your statement that the naturally occurring Arginine in protein rich foods is safest in situations where Arginine(read: bioavailable) and Citrulline are needed to counter the effects of Endotoxinemia. If we accept that PUFA consumption and other typical aspects of a Western Diet increase endotoxin then I say that Pure Citrulline is a safe way of preventing some of the bad downstream effects of unavoidable endotoxin. The main takeaway from this study is that Citrulline, not Arginine is effectively a way to attenuate sepsis and that Arginine may actually make things worse by acting as a precursor to iNOS.

OP
W

Wolf

Effect of L-lysine on nitric oxide overproduction in endotoxic shock
"In conclusion, l-lysine, an inhibitor of cellular l-arginine uptake, reduces NO production and exerts beneficial haemodynamic effects in endotoxaemic rats. l-lysine also reduces hyperlactataemia and tends to blunt the development of organ injury in these animals. Contrastingly, l-lysine has no effects in the absence of endotoxin and thus appears to act as a selective modulator of iNOS activity."
Arginases and Arginine Deficiency Syndromes
"Arginine insufficiency not only can activate a stress kinase pathway that impairs function of T lymphocytes but it also can inhibit the mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway required for macrophage production of cytokines in response to bacterial endotoxin/lipopolysaccharide."
The influence of excess lysine on urea cycle operation and pyrimidine biosynthesis. - PubMed - NCBI
In vivo Effect of L-Lysine on Rat Liver Arginase
"This communication reports in vivo inhibition of rat liver arginase activity by a strong competitive arginase inhibitor, L-lysine"

Vinero

Arginine insufficiency not only can activate a stress kinase pathway that impairs function of T lymphocytes but it also can inhibit the mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway required for macrophage production of cytokines in response to bacterial endotoxin/lipopolysaccharide."
So arginine intake must be sufficient to have effective T lymphocytes function and macrophage production of cytokines to deal with endotoxin.

OP
W

Wolf

Now this is complete guesswork on my part but perhaps the fact that Citrulline acts as a precursor to Arginine/Ornithine, but is also an arginase inhibitor may allow it to selectively inhibit arginase as needed as opposed to a strong competitive inhibition. Hmm....
Edit: Seems I found a study showing just that, well, non competitive inhibition at the very least.
Food for thought: Circa 1945
http://www.jbc.org/content/157/2/427.full.pdf
"It may be added that with norleucine,phenylalanine, proline, and citrulline parallel experiments at 0.089 M arginine indicated a non-competitive type of inhibition."
Interesting table on p.14

Last edited:
OP
W

Wolf

This is a bit off topic, but still applicable to iNOS inhibition.
http://www.journalacs.org/article/S1072-7515(04)00438-7/abstract
"PGE2 blunted LPS induced upregulation of iNOS, attenuated the effects of salicylate on iNOS, and increased the resistance of the gastric mucosa to injury in all groups (Table 1). Additionally, LPS decreased gastric mucosal PGE2 by 50% but not prostacyclin, whereas salicylate diminished gastric mucosal synthesis of both PGs by 98%"
Any thoughts @Vinero

Vinero

This is a bit off topic, but still applicable to iNOS inhibition.
http://www.journalacs.org/article/S1072-7515(04)00438-7/abstract
"PGE2 blunted LPS induced upregulation of iNOS, attenuated the effects of salicylate on iNOS, and increased the resistance of the gastric mucosa to injury in all groups (Table 1). Additionally, LPS decreased gastric mucosal PGE2 by 50% but not prostacyclin, whereas salicylate diminished gastric mucosal synthesis of both PGs by 98%"
Any thoughts @Vinero
That means taking aspirin which inhibits prostaglandins (PGE2) will decrease the resistance of the gastric mucosa.
So aspirin is bad I guess and will increase iNOS.

Travis

Additionally, LPS decreased gastric mucosal PGE2 by 50% @Vinero
But I'd bet that cyclooxgenase or phospholipase A₂ didn't slow down one bit, and that you'd find more-than a corresponding increase in prostaglandin D₂.

griesburner

i think NO is very complex cause there are the different forms like iNos and eNos etc. Maybe NO is a bit like cholesterol in terms that its only a sign that something is wrong but it has its uses. So with only concentrating on suppressing all NO synthesis could be very bad. For example in sepsis there is huge increase in NO but only because the body needs the massive amounts of NO to kill the pathogens. But sepsis is kind of an extreme example and maybe in other illnesses there is something similar that Nitric Oxide is not the bad guy.

Vinero

i think NO is very complex cause there are the different forms like iNos and eNos etc. Maybe NO is a bit like cholesterol in terms that its only a sign that something is wrong but it has its uses. So with only concentrating on suppressing all NO synthesis could be very bad. For example in sepsis there is huge increase in NO but only because the body needs the massive amounts of NO to kill the pathogens. But sepsis is kind of an extreme example and maybe in other illnesses there is something similar that Nitric Oxide is not the bad guy.
Well said, I have come to the same conclusion. Nitric oxide has essential and regulatory functions in certain situations, like infection to kill pathogens. But after it has done it's job it should come down to a low-level. If it's stays elevated for a long time it causes damage to the organism.

Mossy

Can I interpret this thread as saying supplementing to raise N.O., as with citrulline, may be beneficial short-term, to counter pathogens/infection--though, in a general health-sense, N.O. raisers would be anti-Peat and frowned upon?

I ask, because I did see Vinero's thread, about combating pneumonia, seemingly brought on by anti-N.O. lysine. I'm been Peating for about 10 months now, so my diet and supplementation has been anti-N.O., and for the first time in my life, and current state of health decline, I'm dealing with a chest issue, that is troubling me. I'm wondering if I should try citrulline, to raise N.O., if that could help.

For the record, I've tried citrulline in the past, for working out, and it brought my pulse dangerously low (40's). But, my thought would be to take a much smaller amount, to see what it does for my chest. Any thoughts are welcome.

Vinero

Can I interpret this thread as saying supplementing to raise N.O., as with citrulline, may be beneficial short-term, to counter pathogens/infection--though, in a general health-sense, N.O. raisers would be anti-Peat and frowned upon?

I ask, because I did see Vinero's thread, about combating pneumonia, seemingly brought on by anti-N.O. lysine. I'm been Peating for about 10 months now, so my diet and supplementation has been anti-N.O., and for the first time in my life, and current state of health decline, I'm dealing with a chest issue, that is troubling me. I'm wondering if I should try citrulline, to raise N.O., if that could help.

For the record, I've tried citrulline in the past, for working out, and it brought my pulse dangerously low (40's). But, my thought would be to take a much smaller amount, to see what it does for my chest. Any thoughts are welcome.
I don't know how safe it is to supplement citrulline or arginine directly.
Just quiting lysine and eating whole protein which contains a balance of arginine and lysine was enough to get rid of my chest infection.

OP
W

Wolf

Citrulline also has the same effect on me and I effectively counter it by raising my sodium intake. I have a 120/80 BP reading on the combination and my BP is more resistant to challenges. My 5g:5g dose also includes 1 tsp salt to counteract everything and make sure my drink doesn't pump me up.

OP
W

Wolf

I don't know how safe it is to supplement citrulline or arginine directly.
Just quiting lysine and eating whole protein which contains a balance of arginine and lysine was enough to get rid of my chest infection.
Anecdotal: Been supplementing upwards of 15g per day Citrulline and Arginine for the past year with no ill effects. Haven't been sick in that time either despite working out in the cold Chicago winters fixing trucks.

Mossy

Citrulline also has the same effect on me and I effectively counter it by raising my sodium intake. I have a 120/80 BP reading on the combination and my BP is more resistant to challenges. My 5g:5g dose also includes 1 tsp salt to counteract everything and make sure my drink doesn't pump me up.
Ok, makes sense--salt would be the obvious counter to low pulse.

I'm curious, how do you reconcile those high pro-N.O. substances with a Peat diet, if you are on a Peat? I'm not saying this with any prejudice, just honestly interested how it has worked out along side a Peat perspective.

OP
W

Wolf

Its difficult to reconcile a pro-N.O. substance until you've experienced the variability of NO release during exercise, sickness, sex, etc. So long as I keep cortisol low, diet clean, and overall stay calm then my vein dilation stays pretty steady and only occurs during sex/exercise and only for the duration. Plus, if anything there's a few different forms of NO and the ratio of each can be telling. I also make sure my intake of Glycine is decently high and supplement other anti stress nutrients.

OP
W

Wolf

I would argue that its a good way to help attenuate sepsis. I just have a paranoia regarding sepsis so I supplement this daily.

Citrulline: just a biomarker or a conditionally essential amino acid and a pharmaconutrient in critically ill patients?
"In the previous issue of Critical Care, Ware and colleagues [1] showed that citrulline (CIT) plasma levels are extremely low in critically ill patients with sepsis and significantly lower in patients complicated with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Thus, this study brings the new and important information that CIT depletion may be related to morbid events. In addition, these data form a strong rationale for CIT supplementation in intensive care unit (ICU) patients with sepsis."

"For a long time, CIT was considered just a 'garbage' amino acid because it is not included in proteins and is known only as an intermediary in the urea cycle. However, some early classic studies suggested that CIT had a unique metabolism and that its deficiency might be harmful (reviewed recently in [2]). The fact that CIT is almost absent from food (with the notable exception of watermelon) and is synthesized solely by the gut at the whole body level led Crenn and colleagues [3] to hypothesize, and then prove, that CIT plasma level is a reliable marker of intestinal functional mass. "

"I do not know of any data that establish, at the cellular level, that ARG is a better precursor of nitric oxide (NO) than CIT or vice versa. In addition, in vitro data suggest that the ability of ARG or CIT to generate NO in macrophages (which play a key role in sepsis and ARDS) is co-regulated by glutamine [13], whose availability is decreased in sepsis. In the case of sepsis, we cannot safely speculate, because, on the one hand, it is true that **** + ASL and NOS channel CIT, but on the other hand, the ARG transporter CAT2 (cationic amino acid transporter 2) is also connected to inducible NOS, and both are overexpressed in sepsis [14]. The absence of any difference in ARG levels between patients with ARDS and those without it apparently supports the authors' view that the key is CIT, not ARG. However, the absence of any correlation between amino acids and NO end-products (that is, nitrate + nitrate) supports the idea that the answer is in the lung, not in the plasma, and that - in the absence of measurements with stable isotopes, arterio-venous difference, and measurements in the bronchoalveolar fluid - all these considerations are just a matter of speculation.

Mossy

Its difficult to reconcile a pro-N.O. substance until you've experienced the variability of NO release during exercise, sickness, sex, etc. So long as I keep cortisol low, diet clean, and overall stay calm then my vein dilation stays pretty steady and only occurs during sex/exercise and only for the duration. Plus, if anything there's a few different forms of NO and the ratio of each can be telling. I also make sure my intake of Glycine is decently high and supplement other anti stress nutrients.
OK, I appreciate the additional insight into your perspective.

I do remember that when I tried it while working out, it was almost comical and surreal how exaggerated it made my muscles look. Not that this was necessarily a bad thing, but it was just obvious it was definitely doing something that normally would not happen, apart from supplementing with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals