Citric Acid

SamYo123

Citric acid good or bad in the peat world? is the citric acid in oranges the same citric acid they add to things like jams/redbulls etc?

Herbie

Citric acid good or bad in the peat world? is the citric acid in oranges the same citric acid they add to things like jams/redbulls etc?
Citric acid used be removed from citrus fruit in Spain and used globally for use but that stopped when they started making in a lab off of mold, apparently the residue from the mold can remain in the citric acid added to food and drink and can be allergenic and inflammatory this is the same for ascorbic acid. Peat and Haidut said they are some of the most inflammatory substances in food after pufa.

stumpus

If I'm not mistaken, most of the Citric Acid found in every-day products is made from corn, which we all know to be an incredibly unadulterated and high quality crop.

yerrag

Citric acid used be removed from citrus fruit in Spain and used globally for use but that stopped when they started making in a lab off of mold, apparently the residue from the mold can remain in the citric acid added to food and drink and can be allergenic and inflammatory this is the same for ascorbic acid. Peat and Haidut said they are some of the most inflammatory substances in food after pufa.
What is the same for ascorbic acid?

That it's made from molds?

I haven't heard that one yet, but the one I heard is that ascorbic acid can contain a large amount of lead and so it's important to check the source for COA to minimize on the contamination.

OP
S

SamYo123

Orange juices that have about a years expiray date would likley contain citric acid?

B

Blaze

If I'm not mistaken, most of the Citric Acid found in every-day products is made from corn, which we all know to be an incredibly unadulterated and high quality crop.
Well, most people don't get that citric acid is not made from corn, but instead the corn's sugar is used as food for another organism. It is produced from feeding a fungus corn, wheat, cane or really any sugar. The fungus , usually aspergillus, through fermentation makes citric acid.
Aspergillus is that toxic green mold you sometimes see growing on an orange peel. And it's very bad for humans.

As for your comment, love the humor. Sometimes sarcasm is the funniest way to accentuate a point................

Last edited by a moderator:
I

i_nomad

Orange juices that have about a years expiray date would likley contain citric acid?
The dates might indicate that, sure. Here in the US the citric acid would be listed in the ingredients.

B

Blaze

Natural citric acid that comes from fruit shouldn't be a concern at all. When they add a lot of artificially produced citric acid it is.

Kray

Does anyone on this thread know if most magnesium citrates are made this way, using mold as a source of citric acid to mix with the Mg in their formulas? I was concerned about the small amounts in tonic water, but if it's the same substance in most vitamin supplements, that's a huge amount. I contacted one of the major makers of popular tonic waters to ask the question if the citric acid in their recipe is from natural or industrial sources, and was only told that "it is made from corn".

Thank you-

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals