Cistanche

Wagner83

Herba Cistanche (Rou Cong-Rong): One of the Best Pharmaceutical Gifts of Traditional Chinese Medicine
"A recent study has demonstrated that an ethanol extract of C. tubulosa could increase the sex hormone levels by inducing testicular steroidogenic enzymes (e.g., CYP11A1, CYP17A1, CYP3A4) (Wang et al., 2015). Besides, the gene expression of 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3β-HSD), which is responsible for the synthesis of testosterone, 5α-reductase-2 and aldo-keto reductase (enzymes that are responsible for the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone), can be induced by the C. tubulosa extract, suggesting the positive effect of C. tubulosa extract on male hormone production (Shimoda et al., 2009). The acteoside, which was distilled from C. tubulosa, significantly shortened the latent period of penis erection (p < 0.01), increased the number of germ cells (p < 0.01), and improved pathological changes in the testes (Ma et al., 2009). Echinacoside, which is another newly identified PhG and is typically known as the main component of echinacea, is abundant in C. tubulosa and possesses vaso-relaxing activity (Yoshikawa et al., 2006). The aphrodisiac mechanisms of C. tubulosa might involve the NO-cGMP signal transduction pathway, with increasing cGMP levels in the corpus cavernosum smooth muscle (He et al., 2009b). Pan and Min (2004) indicated that the combined use of Herba Cistanche extract could prevent adrenal cortical atrophy, which is typically caused by using corticosteroids only. Moreover, C. deserticola extract could reverse the reproductive toxicity in mice induced by hydroxyurea (Gu et al., 2013) and glycoside of Leigongteng (Radix et Rhizoma Tripterygii) (Li et al., 2014)."
"
Modern studies showed that damage and functional disorders of the hypothalamic-pituitary-target gland axis, including the adrenal gland, thyroid, and gonad, are the main pathological mechanisms of KDS-Yang (Zhao et al., 2013). Gong et al. (2008) investigated the intervention effect of C. deserticola (decoction, 10 g/kg⋅d) in hydrocortisone-induced KDS-Yang model rats and found that C. deserticola extract could increase body weight, autonomic activity, and swimming time while decreasing post-exercise blood lactic acid (LAC) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN)."

That sounds pretty good! I enjoyed using Tongkat ali and combining both could be very nice, however I'm curious about cistanche effects on its own , lots of very interesting properties there.
It indudes steroidogenic enzymes in the testes, 3B-HSD, 5a-reductase-2, aldo-keto reductase, shortens latent period of penis erection, increases cGMP levels in smooth muscles, prevents adrenal cortical atrophy among other things.
@TubZy @haidut (some components in it may be interesting)

OP
W

Wagner83

No, superman herbs should be good but is expensive. There's also barlowe's herbal elixirs. Let us know if you try it again, what brand did you use?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Re-tried this, using Jing Herbs, and must say that after rebuilding my Kidney Yin Jing, using Kidney Yang tonics like Cistanche, subjectively feel ultra motivating/Androgenic.
Had some this morning, and it feels quite intense, but not in a dirty kind of way. Just really deeply energising.

Lejeboca

Re-tried this, using Jing Herbs, and must say that after rebuilding my Kidney Yin Jing, using Kidney Yang tonics like Cistanche, subjectively feel ultra motivating/Androgenic.
Had some this morning, and it feels quite intense, but not in a dirty kind of way. Just really deeply energising.

What are your dosage of Cistanche ? Thanks!
The article quoted by OP @Wagner83 does not mention doses for the studies it mentions/reviews, while Cistanche - Wikipedia mentions high doses when it enumerates the benefits, which all look impressive, indeed.

Wolf

Always preferred Cistanche over long Jack.
Getting it from Chinatown in its whole form is best for me.

OP
W

Wagner83

The feedback online is underwhelming, people reportquickly diminishing effects or none at all. I'm still interested in it but I'm not sure what source to pick, lostempireofherbs is way too expensive. A decent quantity could be needed so life extension standardized extract in caps may not be ideal either. It's probably one of those herbs which could be spiked if it's even cistanche in the first place.

Last edited:

Wolf

The feedback online is underwhelming, people reportquickly diminishing effects or none at all. I'm still interested in it but I'm not sure what source to pick, lostempireofherbs is way too expensive. A decent quantity could be needed so life extension standardized extract in caps may not be ideal either. It's probably one of those herbs which could be spiked if it's even cistanche in the first place.
Buy the whole herb. I don't trust any herb in a capsule besides ginger.

OP
W

Wagner83

Last edited:

RobertJM

I've also had very good results from cistanche. I like it better than all of the other herbs that I have tried over the years. I buy mine from 'rawforestfoods'. Cistanche, for me, pumps the member and puts libido into a higher gear. It's definitely a sex herb. I don't know what it does to hormones but there doesn't appear to be anything that feels subjectively stressful about it.

I even paird it with estroban (which forces estrogen into the lower end of things) and it complemented cistanche very well. No loss of libido or sexual function. So perhaps it's effects are driven by androgens.

So it just makes me horny all the time. Thats pretty much it really.

Herbs that, for me, truly are snake oil:

Pine pollen: tried all the brands. Just made me aggressive. Doesn't make me happy and horny.

Deer antler: not even sure what it does. I spent a fortune on getting the most potent surthrival brand. No effects.

Maca: has never done anything reliable or good. What does it do? All brands tried. Chronic dosing tried.

Mucuna: another one that just made me aggressive. Horrible.

There have been others lol

OP
W

Wagner83

I've also had very good results from cistanche. I like it better than all of the other herbs that I have tried over the years. I buy mine from 'rawforestfoods'. Cistanche, for me, pumps the member and puts libido into a higher gear. It's definitely a sex herb. I don't know what it does to hormones but there doesn't appear to be anything that feels subjectively stressful about it.

I even paird it with estroban (which forces estrogen into the lower end of things) and it complemented cistanche very well. No loss of libido or sexual function. So perhaps it's effects are driven by androgens.

So it just makes me horny all the time. Thats pretty much it really.

Herbs that, for me, truly are snake oil:

Pine pollen: tried all the brands. Just made me aggressive. Doesn't make me happy and horny.

Deer antler: not even sure what it does. I spent a fortune on getting the most potent surthrival brand. No effects.

Maca: has never done anything reliable or good. What does it do? All brands tried. Chronic dosing tried.

Mucuna: another one that just made me aggressive. Horrible.

There have been others lol
Maca is an expensive and exotic raw turnip powder.
Do the effects wear off over time or do the benefits continue as long as you use cistanche? How much do you take?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

This is one of the extracts I use: Cistanche Stem Extract Powder Rou Cong Rong This is a good company with quality products, been buying from them for a few years with no problems. They are prompt on answering product questions.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
From my experience, I can't use Cistanche more than 2-3 days in a row. It makes me too energetic and can't focus on work due to the libido being so strong. I find the effects even linger a few days after taking it.

It certainly revs up the dopaminergic axis.

I know from a TCM perspective they advise building Yin Jing first, so I think combining with Goji Berry extract is a clever idea.

It also has some minor laxative effects btw.

Momado965

How long did it take for you to rebuild kidney yin and what did you take for it?

Momado965

Herba Cistanche (Rou Cong-Rong): One of the Best Pharmaceutical Gifts of Traditional Chinese Medicine

That sounds pretty good! I enjoyed using Tongkat ali and combining both could be very nice, however I'm curious about cistanche effects on its own , lots of very interesting properties there.
It indudes steroidogenic enzymes in the testes, 3B-HSD, 5a-reductase-2, aldo-keto reductase, shortens latent period of penis erection, increases cGMP levels in smooth muscles, prevents adrenal cortical atrophy among other things.
@TubZy @haidut (some components in it may be interesting)

Havent been able to find a good tongkat ali supplement; where did you source you tongkat ali?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
It took me around 2 months to fully restore Kidney Yin Jing. I was using predominantly Prepared Rehmannia, Dendrobium, Cordyceps (Sporadically, as this can also rejuvenate Yang) and Goji Extract.

Now I am using less Yin Tonics and more Yang tonics, and all I can say is that it has potentiated the Yang tonics. Cordyceps is incredibly energising and pro-libido. Cistanche (Rou Cong Rong) is on a whole different level. I have never tried a herb that produces such profound androgenic effects before.

Momado965

It took me around 2 months to fully restore Kidney Yin Jing. I was using predominantly Prepared Rehmannia, Dendrobium, Cordyceps (Sporadically, as this can also rejuvenate Yang) and Goji Extract.

Now I am using less Yin Tonics and more Yang tonics, and all I can say is that it has potentiated the Yang tonics. Cordyceps is incredibly energising and pro-libido. Cistanche (Rou Cong Rong) is on a whole different level. I have never tried a herb that produces such profound androgenic effects before.

Wow thats fantastic! Suberb in fact. Do you think using rehmannia and fo ti is enough? The shaman company you speak of is fantastic. I tried their rhodiola before and was very destressing. I really calm on it.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Makes sense, if Genghis Kahn used Cistanche daily, I can't imagine how masculine he would've felt.

Rehmannia and Fo Ti seems viable. But I am too scared to go anywhere near Fo ti (Even prepared form) as I still think it's risky for the liver.

Great to hear RE: Rhodiola.