Circadian T3 Method - why taking thyroid hormone at the proper time is important

Kozak

Are we talking about oral dosing, not topical? Wondering if there is a difference in how it would work through out the night if used topically. Am I to assume that most people here agree that their thyroid extracts should only be taken at night, or at night additionally to the morning dose? Also, a bit confused that if taking T3 casues a stress response, vis a vis cortisol, how then could it be relaxing and help with sleep? A lot of contrasting info on thyroid, but maybe I just don't yet understand all the details. Didn't Peat use T3, yet if T3 only has a half life of a few hours, why use just T3 if it is going to wake you up, or not last?
You need high cortisol in the morning and low at night. The correct circadian rhythm is the key. It's a misnomer to call cortisol a "stress hormone".

Kozak

With cortisol baseline, I am referring to the normal levels according to the circadian rhythm. For example, it's supposed to be low in the evening and when it's not, it's above the evening baseline. That's what I was talking about. Not that cortisol levels during the day are the same if that was what you were thinking.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying as you're also not pointing out where I'm wrong. I've worked with a lot of clients (and still do) for the past few years who have struggled with hypothyroid issues, so saying that you think I need to do more research on the matter is a rather ignorant assumption as research and experimentation is what I do in order to help people (and what has helped me).

I never said to take thyroid when waking up in the middle of the night. I only talked from personal experience, of using thyroid right before bed, and also the experience from others that I work with. I've never taken T3 during the middle of the night and probably never will as carbs and aspirin work great for me if I ever do awaken from a stress response (which as I said, doesn't happen anymore). If I awaken without a stress response, I usually have no issue falling back asleep again.
I also never said that it's best to take thyroid in the morning, I said that taking it before bed (in small doses) makes more sense and that's why I do it.
If you look into the paper mentioned at the top you'll see that healthier people were having a more pronounced circadian rhythms (higher peaks)! If you take T4/T3 before bed - your brain will detect extra T4/T3 and lowers the TSH peak, which will lower the natural T3 peak, which will lower your cortisol (and probably melatonin peak as well). In this way your are not helping your body, but rather obstructing it.

FitnessMike

If you look into the paper mentioned at the top you'll see that healthier people were having a more pronounced circadian rhythms (higher peaks)! If you take T4/T3 before bed - your brain will detect extra T4/T3 and lowers the TSH peak, which will lower the natural T3 peak, which will lower your cortisol (and probably melatonin peak as well). In this way your are not helping your body, but rather obstructing it.
I am waking up twice at night before i wake up around 6am completely. Before i started thyroid for a very long time I was not able to fall back asleep from around 3am. Since i wake up for the second time around 3 am, which is around 3h before i completely wake up, I will be poping then my CT3M dose in form of tyromix as its way easier to titrate as each drop has got 3mg of t3 and 6mg of t4. When i did this for the first time with 2 drops (6mg t3) i felt almost instant surge in cortisol, so now im only trying 3mg t3 and will slowly increase. Even tho my cortisol saliva test doesnt look that bad, i strongly believe that my case fits this pattern of hypothyroid -> cortisol demand increase as a compensation ->causing worsening hypothyroidism-> cause more cortisol demand -> worsening hypothyroidism and so on, eventually cortisol gets low as a result of low t3 at night when it should peaks.

"""It all boils down to supply and demand.

The less thyroid hormone (T3) you have available, the more your adrenal glands are stimulated.

And the more your adrenal glands are stimulated, the less thyroid hormone (T3) you have available."""

1613379723716.png

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've only seen that T4 supplements before bed is better at lowering TSH and increasing T4 than morning dose. It doesn't affect T3 or cortisol rhythms though. Any papers on that, that you'd like to share?

Elize

Thus T4 peaks after 4 hours and T3 after 2 5. I take T4 at 10 pm and then find that I wake up at 2am. Why would that be?

FitnessMike

Thus T4 peaks after 4 hours and T3 after 2 5. I take T4 at 10 pm and then find that I wake up at 2am. Why would that be?
1613479762684.png

Seems like t4 only wont raise ft3 much as oposse to t3 containing meds. Did you ever try t3 containign medication before bed?

Kozak

Usually sublingually administered substances get into your blood much faster in comparison to oral administration and require much lower (sometimes an order lower) dose to achieve the same blood level. Do you think it could be the reason?

Elize

That is so as I understand as sublingual dose bypass the gut and therefore more is absorbed. I tried the sublingual doses with Levoxyl T4 as it dissolves under the tongue. My temp is much better and feel much warmer. Should also have less Reverse T3.

Kozak

View attachment 21741
Seems like t4 only wont raise ft3 much as oposse to t3 containing meds. Did you ever try t3 containign medication before bed?
That is a rubbish paper. The authors go into the study with a priory belief that all the hormone levels should be stable throughout the day - complete rubbish. Also the paper is seriously skewed by the stupid misconception that T3 is bad for your hart even though T3 is used in ICU to get people out of coma.

But the biggest BS in this paper is the selection of the study subjects! 682 out of 697 (98%) had their thyroid destroyed by so called "radioactive iodine treatment". How would you expect any thyroid hormones fluctuation if there is no thyroid!!!

Elize

Mike I tried T3 before bed time then I am awake the whole night. After breakfast work for me.

Kozak

That is so as I understand as sublingual dose bypass the gut and therefore more is absorbed. I tried the sublingual doses with Levoxyl T4 as it dissolves under the tongue. My temp is much better and feel much warmer. Should also have less Reverse T3.
Yes it bypasses the gut and the liver (on the first pass). But eventually the majority of T4 to T3 conversion is done by the liver (the current assumption), so if you have some underlying condition your liver will still produce a lot of RT3. The idea behind T3 only therapy is that your liver has less T4 to convert to RT3.

Some people don't have problems with T4 converting predominantly into RT3. They can just use T4

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals