Cider And Mold

johns74

Is cider (apple wine) a good alternative to apple juice, for having less mold? Sometimes apple juice has mold, and alcohol kills mold, so I wonder if cider would be better for that reason.

tara

This just a guess on my part, but I think the problem with mold is the toxins they produce. If the cider is made from moldy apple juice, killing the mold is not the same as removing the toxins. I don't know if alcohol alters or mitigates against such toxins, or whether any other process is used to remove mold toxins. I would think any mold in commercial apple juice would be killed too, before bottling, by heat and sealing or maybe some other process. They aim for a longish shelf life.

mt_dreams

regarding mold, the cider process will kill the patulin toxin that will be present in small quantities in processed apple juice. Most apple juice sold on the market has been pasteurized for this same reason. Many companies also add absorbic acid or malic acid to make it even more acidic than it already is, as mold will have a tough time growing in that kind of ph.

that being said, drinking cider that has not been filtered may result in drinking more mold residue than would be present in filtered apple juice. so the filtering process may be the most important part to how much mold (active or inactive) there is in either of the two options.

OP
J

johns74

I tried two brand of apple juice. I get stomach ache from both after a while. The juice at the bottom, which is more dense, is the most offensive part.

I think you need well over eighty percent alcohol to kill spores.

tara

johns74 said:
I tried two brand of apple juice. I get stomach ache from both after a while. The juice at the bottom, which is more dense, is the most offensive part.
Mittir talked about olny being ok with a coulple of brands of clear AJ, which wouldn't have dense residues at the bottom. I seem to be happier with a clear comercial one I can get, but less so with the local cloudy juice.