Chronic health problem (Dehydration) - Faint hope somebody here might have some ideas

OP
C

Callmestar

I'm getting ****** desperate here. No idea what to do. So dry and dehydrated, feels as though it's taking a massive toll on my health in general and I can see it in my appearance. I look dreadful.

Belsazar

I'm getting ****** desperate here. No idea what to do. So dry and dehydrated, feels as though it's taking a massive toll on my health in general and I can see it in my appearance. I look dreadful.
any updates? Have you tried tracking your temperature? What supplements do you take now? Hows your lifestyle (stress)?

P

Peatness

Sorry you are having such a dreadful time. Perhaps ask doctors to do a 24 hour urine analysis? You can get this done on the nhs.

Below is a quote for dr peat on excess urination

"Progesterone and thyroid and vitamin D and essential mineral sodium, potassium and magnesium are necessary for kidneys. Drinking too much water instead of juices can wash the mineral out of the body".

Also, I recall him recommending vitamin E, to lower estrogen, for excess urination.

High oxalate can also cause excess urination - there is a lot of info on the forum about this.

OP
C

Callmestar

any updates? Have you tried tracking your temperature? What supplements do you take now? Hows your lifestyle (stress)?

Updates: Feeling worse if anything. Unbelievably dry and depleted, especially in the mornings. I feel weak and lifeless. I barely have the energy to write this. Hanging on to my job by the skin of my teeth due to being able to work from home and managing about 2 hours work when I should be doing 8.

I've just been doing morning temperatures and they've been on average around 95.5 - 96F.

Supplements i'm taking:
Nutri Advanced nutrigest, Lamberts betaine hcl, Biotics research glucobalance, Biotics research cytozyme KD 1 1 Kidney support, Thiamine, Hydrolysed Collagen & Vit C powder, Pharma nord Vitamin D5000iu, Allergy research NT factor lipids, B-100, Boron.

I've been taking these supplements for about 2 months now. WIth the B100 and Boron added a couple of weeks ago based on some advice on this forum. I feel no better, I actually feel worse.

BearWithMe

You don't need such a huge dose of B vitamins. It only adds burden on your body and especially your kidneys, because your body needs to get rid of excessive B vitamins.

Guess how - by excreting them in your urine.

You are forcing your body to urinate more by supplementing such a insanely high dose of B-vitamins.

BearWithMe

Basically all the supplements taken in excess needs to be excreted in urine. This is true also for vitamin C and probably some others on your list.

Too much supplements = burden on the kidneys and a lot of urinating

OP
C

Callmestar

You don't need such a huge dose of B vitamins. It only adds burden on your body and especially your kidneys, because your body needs to get rid of excessive B vitamins.

Guess how - by excreting them in your urine.

You are forcing your body to urinate more by supplementing such a insanely high dose of B-vitamins.

Hi Bear, sounds like an impossible task. Some here suggest I take a high dose B complex. You say it will make the urination worse. The urination is the same as it's been for years, the Vit B hasn't increased it. But in general i'm certainly not feeling any better.

OP
C

Callmestar

Basically all the supplements taken in excess needs to be excreted in urine. This is true also for vitamin C and probably some others on your list.

Too much supplements = burden on the kidneys and a lot of urinating

What do you suggest I do then? Too much supplement and you think it's a burden on the Kidneys....not enough and I'm not getting what I need. I've gone months without any supplements and it's not reduced the urination so I can't suddenly jump to the conclusion that the supplements are causing the problem.

BearWithMe

Hi Bear, sounds like an impossible task. Some here suggest I take a high dose B complex. You say it will make the urination worse. The urination is the same as it's been for years, the Vit B hasn't increased it. But in general i'm certainly not feeling any better.
Color of your urine is also the same? No bright yellow-ish green-ish tint?

btw, don't blidly listen to any advice and especially not advice given on internet forums. Question everything. My advice too, of course.

Read the opinions of others, do you own research, and then logically decide if this is good advice to follow or not.

OP
C

Callmestar

Color of your urine is also the same? No bright yellow-ish green-ish tint?

btw, don't blidly listen to any advice and especially not advice given on internet forums. Question everything. My advice too, of course.

Read the opinions of others, do you own research, and then logically decide if this is good advice to follow or not.

Of course my urine has a brightish colour when taking the supplements. That's the same for anybody. Much of what we take is always going to be excreted out in the urine. Are you implying that any change in colour to urine means it's putting pressure on the kidneys / increasing urination? I think it would be hard to find anybody that takes a B complex at any dose that doesn't have a change in their urine colour.

Yes, i'm not blindly listening to the advice and of course i'm questioning your advice too. I've had this problem with urination for a number of years, much of those I've been on different diets, sometimes lots of supplements, sometimes none and the issue hasn't improved. You jump on with shortsighted assumptions, such as the high dose of supplements are causing increased urination, or anxiety/stress are causing the increased urination. If only it were that simple. I appreciate your input but the issue is something far more complicated than too much of a supplement or high anxiety.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

The problem with chronic health issues is that it is not enough to do some things right for a while.

You need to do *most* of the things right, sometimes for very long time, before you start seeing results.

It is very easy to discard some things as not working. But maybe they were working, you were just hampering your results by doing other things wrong. Or maybe you was not persistent enough.

Honestly this is so complicated, I'm really struggling with that myself.

But if there is one most important lesson I have learned on my journey to better health, it is this.

Some things made me feel horrible under certain conditions, yet the same things were incredibly healing and beneficial when the conditions were different.

If you are so deep into health issues, you REALLY need to focus on optimizing all things you realistically can optimize. Not waiting for that single magic bullet hoping it would somehow magically fix your long lasting health issues in a week.

I will avoid grains and starches then, has to be worth a go.

Also just to add, I did a water fast those years ago and this dehydration issue developed a few days after finishing/eating again. Not sure if related but seems likely.

Anyone have any thoughts on the high DHEA, low progesterone? Is it worth supplementing with progesterone as a man?
Yes it definitely could be related and possibly the reason. Perhaps you should consider fasting again... Say from when you wake up till 4 or 5 in the afternoon and repeat for 2 or 3 days. However this time round fast from food and water. Hopefully this should condition you to be able handle water better. Water when fasting is only required if sweating heaps due to activity or hot weather.

OP
C

Callmestar

Do you drink lots of coffee or Tea?
No hardly any at all.

Yes it definitely could be related and possibly the reason. Perhaps you should consider fasting again... Say from when you wake up till 4 or 5 in the afternoon and repeat for 2 or 3 days. However this time round fast from food and water. Hopefully this should condition you to be able handle water better. Water when fasting is only required if sweating heaps due to activity or hot weather.
I've thought about dry fasting, which is what you described. I've reduced fluid intake massively and sometimes gone sat 36 hours with no fluids just to see if it will trigger my urine into concentrating properly again. Unfortunately I go 36 hours with no fluid and my urine is still clear with little to no colour. If I went any longer the levels of dehydration would be dangerous.

Sometimes I just eat and have no fluids at all, that has sometimes helped my urine concentrate a little better but over time again it just seems to leave me with less and less hydration.

It's a catch 22. If I drink a lot, it dilutes my system and causes me to urinate every 45 mins, clear urine which is just washing me out further, taking electrolytes with it. If I don't drink at all, I urinate a bit less and urine can over time get a slight be of colour/concentration, but with this method, the level of fluid intake are so low that I am permanently dehydrated. So I usually opt for somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

As I think I've mentioned previously, it feels to me that my water homeostasis level has been lowered. Therefore my body thinks it needs less fluid than it actually requires. Meaning the body is hypersensitive to any fluid intake and instantly dumps it out of I drink too much.

Also the issue does fluctuate, is worse in the mornings, worse when cold, worse when laying down, which convinces me there is some sort of hormonal/nutritional imbalance. I'm looking down the Adrenal/Aldosterone avenue next and waiting for more blood tests.

OP
C

Callmestar

The problem with chronic health issues is that it is not enough to do some things right for a while.

You need to do *most* of the things right, sometimes for very long time, before you start seeing results.

It is very easy to discard some things as not working. But maybe they were working, you were just hampering your results by doing other things wrong. Or maybe you was not persistent enough.

Honestly this is so complicated, I'm really struggling with that myself.

But if there is one most important lesson I have learned on my journey to better health, it is this.

Some things made me feel horrible under certain conditions, yet the same things were incredibly healing and beneficial when the conditions were different.

If you are so deep into health issues, you REALLY need to focus on optimizing all things you realistically can optimize. Not waiting for that single magic bullet hoping it would somehow magically fix your long lasting health issues in a week.

I'm not expecting there to be a magic bullet that will resolve this in a week, although it would be nice. Maybe I've given the wrong impression but I've had these symptoms for 4 years and I have tried a lot in that time. I've been vegan for 6 months, then Vegi for 6 months, I've fasted A LOT, admittedly these were all mistakes. I've done pure meat and veg only for a couple of months. I've eaten more of typical Meat and 2 veg type diet, I've done Paleo. I've drank raw milk daily. I've dry fasted on multiple occasions. I've spent months drinking barely any fluids, I've spent months drinking lots of fluids with added electrolytes. I've drank every different drink/concoction you could imagine. I've done all sort of alternative healing therapies. I've used red light therapy for months, acupuncture every few weeks, enemas, Sauna use every other day for months. I've been gluten and dairy free. The amount of supplement I've taken isn't even worth going in to. I've tried multiple medications off label to increase urine concentration.

I could honestly go on and on, that's only scraping the surface. These experiments were not blind stabs in the dark. Initially, it appeared I had partial diabetes insipidus (lack of vasopressin) so most of the things I tried were aiming at increasing this hormone and increasing urine concentration. Some of what I tried, has given temporary relief in terms of minutes or hours but never any significant change to my symptoms long term.

It now appears from a hypertonic saline infusion test that I do produce vasopressin normally, but yet I still do not concentrate urine to normal levels. So either what I have been doing has improved my vasopressin or it was never a vasopressin issue in the first place. I'm still left with the mystery as to why my body will not hold on to fluids and why my urine is always clear.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is, i'm not expecting a magic bullet but it's very difficult to know what I can optimize when thus far I've not found anything that has made any improvements. All I know now is that drinking high sugar drinks and eating help reduce the flow of losing fluids temporarily. Being hot/sweating also triggers some darker colour in my urine. That's about all I have to go on at the moment.

BearWithMe

I'm not expecting there to be a magic bullet that will resolve this in a week, although it would be nice. Maybe I've given the wrong impression but I've had these symptoms for 4 years and I have tried a lot in that time. I've been vegan for 6 months, then Vegi for 6 months, I've fasted A LOT, admittedly these were all mistakes. I've done pure meat and veg only for a couple of months. I've eaten more of typical Meat and 2 veg type diet, I've done Paleo. I've drank raw milk daily. I've dry fasted on multiple occasions. I've spent months drinking barely any fluids, I've spent months drinking lots of fluids with added electrolytes. I've drank every different drink/concoction you could imagine. I've done all sort of alternative healing therapies. I've used red light therapy for months, acupuncture every few weeks, enemas, Sauna use every other day for months. I've been gluten and dairy free. The amount of supplement I've taken isn't even worth going in to. I've tried multiple medications off label to increase urine concentration.

I could honestly go on and on, that's only scraping the surface. These experiments were not blind stabs in the dark. Initially, it appeared I had partial diabetes insipidus (lack of vasopressin) so most of the things I tried were aiming at increasing this hormone and increasing urine concentration. Some of what I tried, has given temporary relief in terms of minutes or hours but never any significant change to my symptoms long term.

It now appears from a hypertonic saline infusion test that I do produce vasopressin normally, but yet I still do not concentrate urine to normal levels. So either what I have been doing has improved my vasopressin or it was never a vasopressin issue in the first place. I'm still left with the mystery as to why my body will not hold on to fluids and why my urine is always clear.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is, i'm not expecting a magic bullet but it's very difficult to know what I can optimize when thus far I've not found anything that has made any improvements. All I know now is that drinking high sugar drinks and eating help reduce the flow of losing fluids temporarily. Being hot/sweating also triggers some darker colour in my urine. That's about all I have to go on at the moment.
And that's the problem right there. You have tried various extreme "therapies" that only taxed your body further, but you haven't tried the most logical, rational, natural and physiological thing to do:

-Drinking normal amounts of water (2-2.5 liters of total liquids a day max)
-Dealing with your anxiety and depression
-Getting normal, balanced, highly nutritious diet
-Getting plenty of electrolytes from natural sources / foods
-Supplementing only things you actually need and can't get from food, in rational amounts
-Doing this thoroughly and consistently until you get better

You are avoiding the obvious cure so persistently it sounds to me almost like you subconsciously don't want to heal.

pinkjess17

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned it but have you tried adding plenty of salt to your meals? I had this issue and it was low adrenal function- cortisol. The sodium helps you hold onto the water and hydrate you.

OP
C

Callmestar

And that's the problem right there. You have tried various extreme "therapies" that only taxed your body further, but you haven't tried the most logical, rational, natural and physiological thing to do:

-Drinking normal amounts of water (2-2.5 liters of total liquids a day max)
-Dealing with your anxiety and depression
-Getting normal, balanced, highly nutritious diet
-Getting plenty of electrolytes from natural sources / foods
-Supplementing only things you actually need and can't get from food, in rational amounts
-Doing this thoroughly and consistently until you get better

You are avoiding the obvious cure so persistently it sounds to me almost like you subconsciously don't want to heal.

No, I've also tried the approach you just listed as well. You keep making assumptions about what I have or haven't done. You also have no idea about Diabetes Insipidus or the symptoms it creates. I do currently drink around 2 litres a day and have done for a couple of years now. But, for those with diabetes insupidus for which I was previously diagnosed via water deprivation test, demonstrating the extreme lack of a ability to concentrate urine. Telling someone in that situation to drink that amount of fluid is incredibly stupid. Fortunately, I know how to just about how to survive with such an inability to concentrate urine.

Whatever I tell you, you will come back with a response to say 'see that's why you aren't getting better'. Which you've done consistently so far.

You say I'm avoiding an obvious cure. I would love for it to be that simple. It might be the case that it's simple for yourself if you have a mild dehydration issue. If you had an extended water deprivation test and if your urine osmolality peaked at below 600 then you could possibly relate to what's going on here. But you won't have had a water deprivation test because you don't have problems with concentrating urine to this degree.

I will continue with trying to have a balanced approach in terms of what you have listed. But as I say, I have done most if not all of what you've mentioned with no success. It's not all been extreme approaches.

BearWithMe

No, I've also tried the approach you just listed as well. You keep making assumptions about what I have or haven't done. You also have no idea about Diabetes Insipidus or the symptoms it creates. I do currently drink around 2 litres a day and have done for a couple of years now. But, for those with diabetes insupidus for which I was previously diagnosed via water deprivation test, demonstrating the extreme lack of a ability to concentrate urine. Telling someone in that situation to drink that amount of fluid is incredibly stupid. Fortunately, I know how to just about how to survive with such an inability to concentrate urine.

Whatever I tell you, you will come back with a response to say 'see that's why you aren't getting better'. Which you've done consistently so far.

You say I'm avoiding an obvious cure. I would love for it to be that simple. It might be the case that it's simple for yourself if you have a mild dehydration issue. If you had an extended water deprivation test and if your urine osmolality peaked at below 600 then you could possibly relate to what's going on here. But you won't have had a water deprivation test because you don't have problems with concentrating urine to this degree.

I will continue with trying to have a balanced approach in terms of what you have listed. But as I say, I have done most if not all of what you've mentioned with no success. It's not all been extreme approaches.
You have told us on the previous page that you don't have diabetes insupidus. Also, you never did all the things I mentioned above AT ONCE. You haven't tried some of them at all.

If you want to complain about your (nonexistent) diabetes insupidus, about your "mystery condition", how poor your ability to concentrate urine is, keep self-sabotaging your health by extreme diets and therapies and feeling sorry for yourself, then go on.

But if you ever want to feel better, start working on your PTSD, your depression and anxiety. The fact that the only thing that ever helped you was Phenibut should be a huge clue.

Wish you the best of luck and hope you will feel better soon ♥️ ♥️ ♥️