Chronic Energy Drink Consumption Reduces Blood Pressure

Collden

Chronic Consumption of a Commercial Energy Drink Reduces Blood Pressure in Normotensive Wild-Type Mice
Objective: Studies report that acute consumption of energy drinks transiently increases blood pressure (BP). However, few studies report the effect of chronic energy drink consumption on BP. In this study, we investigated the effects of long-term energy drink ingestion on BP in C57BL/6J normotensive wild-type mice.

Research Methods and Procedures: Groups of mice were randomized to no treatment (water) (Control group), or to Mother™ provided as a decarbonated 30% (v/v) drinking solution (Energy Drink group), sugar-free Mother™ at 30% (Sugar-free group), Coca Cola™ at 30% (Coke group) for a total intervention period of 13 weeks.

Results: After 13 weeks of intervention, the control mice showed a modest increase in systolic blood pressure (SBP), diastolic blood pressure (DBP), and mean arterial pressure (MAP) by 7.1 ± 8.8, 5.8 ± 9.4, and 6.3 ± 9.1 mmHg, respectively. However, the Energy Drink significantly decreased the DBP and MAP by 18.8 ± 9.9 and 15.3 ± 9.8 mmHg, respectively. Similarly, Sugar-free group mice showed significant decrease of the SBP, DBP, and MAP by 10.85 ± 5.6, 18.7 ± 6.7, and 15.6 ± 6.1 mmHg, respectively. The SBP, DBP, and MAP in Coke mice showed no significant changes. The estimated cumulative intake of caffeine, taurine, and vitamin B3 and B5 was significantly higher in the mice of Energy Drink and Sugar-free groups compared to the Control and Coke mice.

Conclusion: Collectively, the data suggest that the long-term chronic consumption of energy drinks may significantly lower the BP in normotensive mice through the actions of caffeine, taurine, and/or B-vitamins. The study findings do not support consideration of energy drinks for BP management, but rather demonstrate no long-term amplification of BP in normotensive preclinical models.

Demonized as energy drinks are, the article notes that there is still little data on long-term effects of chronic consumption.

Do you find energy drinks to be health-promoting or not?

Gone Peating

People look at energy drinks like they are cocaine.

Here’s what’s in a typical one: water, sugar, caffeine, b vits, taurine

Chronic consumption of anything is going to cause problems slowly, or quickly. Nothing wrong with the occasional Red Bull, here in the UK you need to be 18 Years of age to purchase, overuse due to marketing and parents lack of discipline.

rei

Chronic consumption of anything is going to cause problems slowly, or quickly. Nothing wrong with the occasional Red Bull, here in the UK you need to be 18 Years of age to purchase, overuse due to marketing and parents lack of discipline.
of course, better the kids drink soda which lacks the few healthy aspects of energy drinks! I don't see anyone banning coffee consumption from under 18 YO:s and it is often much more potent than energy drinks.

Lol .... No ! That must have been speculated because of Taurine, which is similar to Taurus the bull....
Yeah Red Bull is the bomb :bomb:, especially in the bedroom with a Krispy Kreme, for extended foreplay and snacking.

Jib

I really can't understand why people think that energy drinks are the devil, but are completely fine with sugared coffee.

I get the Aldi brand of Red Bull. About 1/4 the price. Caffeine softgels with MCT oil and L-theanine (I use the "Smarter Vitamins" brand) work as good or better for me, however, I really love the taste of Red Bull. Or as it's sold at Aldi, "Red Thunder." I think Red Thunder may have slightly less caffeine than Red Bull. It tastes very good.

Frankdee20

Red Bull is just caffeine (same as standard cups of coffee) taurine, B vitamins, baking soda, sugars and that’s basically it

I really can't understand why people think that energy drinks are the devil, but are completely fine with sugared coffee.

I get the Aldi brand of Red Bull. About 1/4 the price. Caffeine softgels with MCT oil and L-theanine (I use the "Smarter Vitamins" brand) work as good or better for me, however, I really love the taste of Red Bull. Or as it's sold at Aldi, "Red Thunder." I think Red Thunder may have slightly less caffeine than Red Bull. It tastes very good.
@Jib Red Thunder eh, I will check it out and give my opinion :D

Jib

@Jib Red Thunder eh, I will check it out and give my opinion :D

Yes :) I quite like it. Recently had a hurricane and it knocked the power out of the whole town, so all the stores have been closed. Sadly no Red Thunder for me until everything is up and running again. I'd be curious what you think!

GelatinGoblin

This just brightened my day. :D Do you mind sharing where you read/heard this?

Very glad!
On the day I wrote this I saw a news article about some 'study' showing there was bull semen in Red Bull. I think the myth came from the speculation that the Taurine was from bull balls or semen as another user mentioned.

People look at energy drinks like they are cocaine.

Here’s what’s in a typical one: water, sugar, caffeine, b vits, taurine

And some good ol' cow love mayonnaise :ss2

rei

it's your stress hormones reducing after long time of chronic elevation.

equipoise

it's your stress hormones reducing after long time of chronic elevation.

I suppose this is a direct reply to me? How come my stress hormones would be reduced?
I overcome a benzo addiction so I Know what a heavy hitter feels like and the drastic lowering of cortisol.
This is more of a tired feeling. It's like I lose Energy.
I think it oculd be the citric acid allegy.

Goat-e

Tropical Red Bull is a daily for me. Nothing hits the spot quite like it.

Hgreen56

I suppose this is a direct reply to me? How come my stress hormones would be reduced?
I overcome a benzo addiction so I Know what a heavy hitter feels like and the drastic lowering of cortisol.
This is more of a tired feeling. It's like I lose Energy.
I think it oculd be the citric acid allegy.
its just a guess. it can be so much things.
allergy's intolerance from 1 of the ingredients, reducing stress hormones from taurine or caffeine, plumming bloodsugar, to much liquid, carbon dioxide, maybe iron or plastic toxins leaking from the can/bottle, maby a B vitamin (like b1 or b3 makes some people tired) pff can be so much things.

This is btw a mice study, mice react differently on sugar than people do.