Chronic Benzodiazepine Use Linked To Dementia And Alzheimers

haidut

Forum Supporter
Given how popular the benzos are among the mental health professionals, I wonder if the recent epidemic of various dementias including AD is at least partially due to overusing those drugs. For those that do need an anti-anxiety drug, niacinamide works just like a benzo but protects against (and maybe even reverses) Alzheimers. There is a clinical trial going on with 3g niacinamide daily for AD patients.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29127726

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00580931

ATP

Given how popular the benzos are among the mental health professionals, I wonder if the recent epidemic of various dementias including AD is at least partially due to overusing those drugs. For those that do need an anti-anxiety drug, niacinamide works just like a benzo but protects against (and maybe even reverses) Alzheimers. There is a clinical trial going on with 3g niacinamide daily for AD patients.

Anxiety and sleeping pills 'linked to dementia' - BBC News

Safety Study of Nicotinamide to Treat Alzheimer's Disease - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
I have taken up to 5g in one day of niacinamide and only noticed increased anxiety and felt very stressed but when I take an actual benzodiazepine I feel very calm and relaxed. Would you know why this is?

TubZy

So why does benzos cause AD and dementia ? Is it from excessive GABA levels?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have taken up to 5g in one day of niacinamide and only noticed increased anxiety and felt very stressed but when I take an actual benzodiazepine I feel very calm and relaxed. Would you know why this is?

Not sure why you would take such bigger dose. The benzo qualities of niainamide are in the 500mg - 2,000mg range. Even at these doses niacinamide potent effects on metabolism, blood sugar, FFA, etc which other benzos don't. Just because niacinamide can act like a benzo does not mean it is the only thing it can do. So, I would always use niacinamide with food and if used of anxiety 1,000mg - 1,500mg daily is probably plenty. As you can see below, other get sedated even in low doses.
Vitamin K2 (MK-4) May Be A Treatment For Rheumatoid Arthritis

FredSonoma

I have people on my family on benzos and they exhibit the most strange behavior. Very confusing mix of being very heartless, but needy. Niacinamide certainly helps but I don't think it is a full solution.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have people on my family on benzos and they exhibit the most strange behavior. Very confusing mix of being very heartless, but needy. Niacinamide certainly helps but I don't think it is a full solution.

Theanine on its own or in combination with some niacinamide should rival most benzos.

Vinero

Phenibut has to be the worst drug ever. Totally messed up my gut and caused severy anxiety and panic attacks after quiting. Altough it's likely a quality issue. It seems that most if not all phenibut comes from cheap Chinese manufacturers and contains a lot of contaminants. If you want the real stuff you need to import it from Russia, it's actually a prescription drug there and is much higher qualitiy. Like night and day difference. Back in 2012 I think I had a clean batch and it was absolutely euphoric like feeling and relaxation. No gut issues at all. Then all of a sudden all batches felt very "dirty" and not euphoric at all. It caused severe gut irritation and just made me drowsy with an awful anxiety rebound.

Last edited:

ATP

Not sure why you would take such bigger dose. The benzo qualities of niainamide are in the 500mg - 2,000mg range. Even at these doses niacinamide potent effects on metabolism, blood sugar, FFA, etc which other benzos don't. Just because niacinamide can act like a benzo does not mean it is the only thing it can do. So, I would always use niacinamide with food and if used of anxiety 1,000mg - 1,500mg daily is probably plenty. As you can see below, other get sedated even in low doses.
Vitamin K2 (MK-4) May Be A Treatment For Rheumatoid Arthritis
I have taken up to 5 grams as an experiment, starting at 200mg a day. No noticeable difference up until 1500 mg and then it gives a stress response. Then I went all the way up to 5 grams with the same effects basically. So at no dose did I notice anything like what a benzo does to me. Also I have a tried Theanine at various doses and no positive effect but at higher doses it feels similar to niacinamide.

Regina

I have taken up to 5 grams as an experiment, starting at 200mg a day. No noticeable difference up until 1500 mg and then it gives a stress response. Then I went all the way up to 5 grams with the same effects basically. So at no dose did I notice anything like what a benzo does to me. Also I have a tried Theanine at various doses and no positive effect but at higher doses it feels similar to niacinamide.
I'm weird in that I do not feel the difference in many supplements. I don't notice any difference on niacinamide or theanine but I am aware of niacinamide benefits. I've only taken 1500mg in a given day.

ATP

I'm weird in that I do not feel the difference in many supplements. I don't notice any difference on niacinamide or theanine but I am aware of niacinamide benefits. I've only taken 1500mg in a given day.
It is always interesting when a chemical is supposed to do one thing but in some people it does nothing or has the complete opposite effect.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

I only experienced the benzo effect from niacinamide the first time I tried it and after extensive breaks. Tolerance develops quickly, but when you get the initial wave of relaxation, it's awesome.