Chronic Back Pain from Overtraining at 17 years old

Art1h_

Hi guys, I injured my middle and upper back from Overtraining.(I was training 3-4 hours a day with crazy high volume)
The day that I injured my back I had the best training/pump of my life, I had probably high adrenaline. I halved the rest-pause between all my sets and I doubled the weight on all exercise(I couldn’t believe that I got so much stronger in so little time)
After the training I couldn’t relax my back muscle, the pump was so strong and the day after when I woke up my back was totally burning. I went to the doctor he gave me a NSAID(Ibuprofen) for 2 weeks. I felt better the beginning (50% better) but the pain was still there. I’ve done after a mri and x-ray, both came back fine.Then I did physical therapy for many months,went to a chiropractor, MTT, I’ve abstained from training since 11 months now , but nothing it didn’t get better. I don’t know what else to do and my doctor too. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME? @haidut @Hans @Lokzo

(btw I injured my back when I was 16 years old, I’m 17 now and sorry for my bad English.

Don

Look into Egoscue and the book pain free. Also Dr John Sarnos books. Check out the PSO RITE messager.

Pag89

What's up man ! I'm 32. Injured my groin/ psoas from stupid training and bad habits at 23 and tried many things. The whole rehab process can be such an expensive maze. I lost so much time and money trying to figure things out.

Since all you're MRI and scans came back fine.

Do you take any whey protein powders ? took me awhile to figure it out but after going back to training and bringing whey protein back. I had back stiffness straight away. Probably cuz it's too concentrated and tough on kidneys and intestines.

As far as training / rehab. I like Drew baye, ken hutchins, arthur jones, steve maxwell, doug mcguff, mike mentzer (they all work in the high intensity/superslow/static training to different degrees). (The only training protocols that gave me good results in strenghtening and hypertrophy without reinjuring myself). Not that other protocols don't work, as far as strenght and hypertrophy. These one are just safer while remaining pretty effective IMO.

As far as food / sleep life habits, i'm doing great with ray peat and stan efferding.

I haven't tried it but when it comes to back injuries i've heard great things about Stuart Mcgill from Stan Efferding.

Like everything else, there's some experimentation to be done to find your sweet spot. But i progressed more in one year of experimenting with these protocols than anything else. (I've tried mobility, qui gong, keto, functionnal training, carnivore, spent thousands on body work, therapy). Everything above brought way better more sustained results.

Good luck man,

Last edited:

Pag89

What's up man ! I'm 32. Injured my groin/ psoas from stupid training and bad habits at 23 and tried many things. The whole rehab process can be such an expensive maze. I lost so much time and money trying to figure things out.

Since all you're MRI and scans came back fine.

Do you take any whey protein powders ? took me awhile to figure it out but after going back to training and bringing whey protein back. I had back stiffness straight away. Probably cuz it's too concentrated and tough on kidneys and intestines.

As far as training / rehab. I like Drew baye, ken hutchins, arthur jones, steve maxwell, doug mcguff, mike mentzer (they all work in the high intensity/superslow/static training to different degrees). (The only training protocols that gave me good results in strenghtening and hypertrophy without reinjuring myself). Not that other protocols don't work, as far as strenght and hypertrophy. These one are just safer while remaining pretty effective IMO.

As far as food / sleep life habits, i'm doing great with ray peat and stan efferding.

I haven't tried it but when it comes to back injuries i've heard great things about Stuart Mcgill from Stan Efferding.

Like everything else, there's some experimentation to be done to find your sweet spot. But i progressed more in one year of experimenting with these protocols than anything else. (I've tried mobility, qui gong, keto, functionnal training, carnivore, spent thousands on body work, therapy). Everything above brought way better more sustained results than what i just listed.

Good luck man,
I used the wrong button don't know how to delete that one sorry lol.

thirdcatgy

Hi guys, I injured my middle and upper back from Overtraining.(I was training 3-4 hours a day with crazy high volume)
The day that I injured my back I had the best training/pump of my life, I had probably high adrenaline. I halved the rest-pause between all my sets and I doubled the weight on all exercise(I couldn’t believe that I got so much stronger in so little time)
After the training I couldn’t relax my back muscle, the pump was so strong and the day after when I woke up my back was totally burning. I went to the doctor he gave me a NSAID(Ibuprofen) for 2 weeks. I felt better the beginning (50% better) but the pain was still there. I’ve done after a mri and x-ray, both came back fine.Then I did physical therapy for many months,went to a chiropractor, MTT, I’ve abstained from training since 11 months now , but nothing it didn’t get better. I don’t know what else to do and my doctor too. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME? @haidut @Hans @Lokzo

(btw I injured my back when I was 16 years old, I’m 17 now and sorry for my bad English.

Have you consulted with a Certified Functional Trainer to evaluate?

What you describe typically involves comprehensive myofascial release of the entire body - head to toe. I would place additional emphasis on the lateral lines - especially areas under the arms, etc. Also, a slighted deflating basketball to roll out the spine can be very effective.

Meditation is a good idea to help quiet the muscle-mind pain feedback loop. (Neural Windup).

Electrolytes - especially magnesium and potassium are important for muscle pain, but it would be a little surprising if you have deficiencies at your age unless your diet is terrible/inflammatory. (e.g. ultra-processed carbs)

Lastly, remember that weight training is artificial exercise. It can be very useful at low to medium volume, but large slabs of muscle and over training can cause imbalances throughout the body. This is one of the reasons why you see PT clinics located close to large gyms.

skuabird

I highly recommend listening to Stuart Mcgill videos on youtube. Try out the Mcgill big three (been doing them myself for a little under a month, I was on the ground with seizing/spasming back muscles but I'm almost 100% again)

You muscles are stiff to protect your back. The more injury, the more blood vessels and nerves grow around to help heal, but it also leads to increase liklihood of pain in the future.

Do you have a calcium source in your diet? I think mine may have been more structural/weak bone related (but Im a woman who was dairy-free, probably not applicable to you).

Andman

stuart mcgill is a great source for those type of issues

when i tweaked my back deadlifting a few weeks ago i put the LGS1 red light device on for about 20 min 3 times per day. even after the first time my pain was greatly reduced to the point i was able to tie my shoes again
was back to deadlifting a few days later - would highly recommend

Hayley

You have to keep training your back but not overtraining. Blood flow and increased strength will make it feel better. Worst thing you can do is be sedentary. Look up Mark Bell on YouTube he gives a good overview of what a beginner powerlifting program should be. It’s important to not overtrain, and only go up in weight by 5 lbs each week, 10 lbs max. Also with the big 3 lifts a ton of volume is pointless and will only cause you to injure yourself due to form breakdown (probably what happened to you). Save volume for accessory lifts to strengthen your tendons.

Herbie

I sometimes injure my middle upper back at work undoing seized bolts, 1gram of aspirin heals it over night.

ironfist

Look into Egoscue and the book pain free. Also Dr John Sarnos books. Check out the PSO RITE messager.
I came into this thread to mention John Sarno's books.

Do you think pso rite would help his back?
stuart mcgill is a great source for those type of issues

when i tweaked my back deadlifting a few weeks ago i put the LGS1 red light device on for about 20 min 3 times per day. even after the first time my pain was greatly reduced to the point i was able to tie my shoes again
was back to deadlifting a few days later - would highly recommend
What is LGS1?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals