Chronic Adversity Dampens Dopamine Production

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
People exposed to a lifetime of psychosocial adversity may have an impaired ability to produce the dopamine levels needed for coping with acutely stressful situations.

These findings, published today in eLife, may help explain why long-term exposure to psychological trauma and abuse increases the risk of mental illness and addiction.

“We already know that chronic psychosocial adversity can induce vulnerability to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression,” explains lead author Dr Michael Bloomfield, Excellence Fellow and leader of the Translational Psychiatry Research Group at University College London, UK. “What we’re missing is a precise mechanistic understanding of how this risk is increased.”

To address this question, Dr Bloomfield and his colleagues used an imaging technique called positron emission tomography (PET) to compare the production of dopamine in 34 volunteers exposed to an acute stress. Half of the participants had a high lifetime exposure to psychosocial stress, while the other half had low exposure. All of them undertook the Montréal Imaging Stress Task, which involved receiving criticism as they tried to complete mental arithmetic.

Two hours after this stress task, the participants were injected with small amounts of a radioactive tracer that allowed the scientists to view dopamine production in their brains using PET. The scans revealed that in those with low exposure to chronic adversity, dopamine production was proportional to the degree of threat that the person perceived.

In people with high exposure to chronic adversity, however, the perception of threat was exaggerated whilst their production of dopamine was impaired. The researchers found that other physiological responses to stress were also dampened in this group. For example, their blood pressure and cortisol levels did not increase as much as in the low-adversity group in response to stress.

The scans revealed that in those with low exposure to chronic adversity, dopamine production was proportional to the degree of threat that the person perceived. The image is in the public domain.

“This study can’t prove that chronic psychosocial stress causes mental illness or substance abuse later in life by lowering dopamine levels,” Dr Bloomfield cautions. “But we have provided a plausible mechanism for how chronic stress may increase the risk of mental illnesses by altering the brain’s dopamine system.”

“Further work is now needed to better understand how changes in the dopamine system caused by adversity can lead to vulnerability towards mental illnesses and addiction,” adds senior author Oliver Howes, Professor of Molecular Psychiatry at MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences and King’s College London, UK.

Source: Chronic adversity dampens dopamine production

LeeLemonoil

Similar mechanisms seem plausible for GABA, given that chronic stressed people become alcoholics not seldomly

Wolf

I wonder how selegeline and micro dosing pea would fix this in a rodent model....

LUH 3417

I wonder how each person has their own upper limit for tolerable adversity. Some people are highly motivated by adverse circumstances to create a better life for themselves.

milkboi

I wonder how each person has their own upper limit for tolerable adversity. Some people are highly motivated by adverse circumstances to create a better life for themselves.

Good point. My :2cents:: When I keep my dopamine up, I see adversity as a challenge, and it doesn't become a trigger for learned helplessness behavior.

milkboi

How do you (specifically) keep your dopamine up?

Seleginine, strong coffee (with 1g of aspirin a few days a week, makes a perfect combination), bright incandescent light (just started that, loving it so far, but can't be 100% sure that it is increasing dopamine of course), modafinil (a few days a week. Probably not a keeper, but for now I'll keep using it for productivity, as it's very good at that for me). Basically, if I stay high dopamine AND use the motivation that comes out of that to be productive, I can successfully ward off depression. The approach of reducing serotonin to achieve the same end didn't really work for me (Cypro makes more depressed if not canceled out with a strong dopaminergic, Metergoline wasn't effective at bringing me out of learned helplessness).

Tarmander

Interesting.

if you react strongly to stress, you have not been exposed to adversity.

if exposed to lots of stress, your stress response and dopamine response is muted.

seems like working correctly

Wolf

Seleginine, strong coffee (with 1g of aspirin a few days a week, makes a perfect combination), bright incandescent light (just started that, loving it so far, but can't be 100% sure that it is increasing dopamine of course), modafinil (a few days a week. Probably not a keeper, but for now I'll keep using it for productivity, as it's very good at that for me). Basically, if I stay high dopamine AND use the motivation that comes out of that to be productive, I can successfully ward off depression. The approach of reducing serotonin to achieve the same end didn't really work for me (Cypro makes more depressed if not canceled out with a strong dopaminergic, Metergoline wasn't effective at bringing me out of learned helplessness).
Beware mania.
I'd give haiduts bcaa and tyrosine combo a try. It helped me permanently stay in the high dopamine state much more effectively than an maoi. Ondansetron very low dose I take when I'm gonna take on something stupid and liable to cause me to want to quit.

Beware mania.
I'd give haiduts bcaa and tyrosine combo a try. It helped me permanently stay in the high dopamine state much more effectively than an maoi. Ondansetron very low dose I take when I'm gonna take on something stupid and liable to cause me to want to quit.

BCAAs trigger insulin and tyrosine raises adrenaline. Did you empty stomach this combo or wash down with fruit juice?

milkboi

Beware mania.

Yeah, good call.

milkboi

Beware mania.

How do you take the BCAAs and the tyrosine? On empty stomach? With meals? How much and how often?

Wolf

How do you take the BCAAs and the tyrosine? On empty stomach? With meals? How much and how often?
Tyrosine about 10 min before the bcaa., 500mg I'll do one tsp of the bcaa. Phenylalanine gives COMPLETELY DIFFERENT results. Not favorable at all. Almost like PEA w aforementioned maoi. I do that small amount twice a day in the off season. During university life is too hectic for protocols that are time sensitive
It's allowed me to function as if I was taking the maoi and the ondansetron.
Make sure you have something in your stomach, preferably something like rice with coconut oil or something that "burns" for a while. Tyrosine doesn't give me adrenaline spikes but then again I get plenty of light. Ymmv

milkboi

Tyrosine about 10 min before the bcaa., 500mg I'll do one tsp of the bcaa. Phenylalanine gives COMPLETELY DIFFERENT results. Not favorable at all. Almost like PEA w aforementioned maoi. I do that small amount twice a day in the off season. During university life is too hectic for protocols that are time sensitive
It's allowed me to function as if I was taking the maoi and the ondansetron.
Make sure you have something in your stomach, preferably something like rice with coconut oil or something that "burns" for a while. Tyrosine doesn't give me adrenaline spikes but then again I get plenty of light. Ymmv

Awesome, thanks. Tried 2,5g phenylalananine, then 5g BCAAs 10 minutes after in the morning. Felt/feels good.

Wolf

Awesome, thanks. Tried 2,5g phenylalananine, then 5g BCAAs 10 minutes after in the morning. Felt/feels good.
Ah. I feel good on it, but my focus isn't as pronounced as when I take tyrosine.
So funny story, I was actively exercising after this combo and didn't get any of the serotonin induced fatigue, but still got the body fatigue. After a few days I had a lot more energy naturally and it's stuck around. I plan on doing the experiment again and also limiting tryptophan to see if it helps. The more energy bit has really helped and I've gained one more productive hour a day.
Do you favour l tyrosine or n acetyl l tyrosine?
L tyrosine. The ajinomoto pharmaceutical grade one from Swanson is pretty sweet. Before I used the now foods capsules 500mg and that worked well too. I react better to tyrosine capsules, powder is goofy for whatever reason for me.

bdawg

how do you find seleginine? im about to trial rasagiline

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals