Christmas, Time Of The Year When People Feel Entitled To Your Money

Kyle M

Anyone else feels the same way??
First the cleaner asked to contribute to some vague party they are organising.
Then friends ask to support their varied charity causes.
Then the builder asked for advanced payment with the following sentence:" I know it's Xmas and all, but can you pay me some money in advance, I need to buy a present for my girlfriend"
Ugh..when will this stop?!
I would feel embarrassed to ask anyone and yet it's becoming the norm so it seems.:(
You mean people are asking for your money? I think if they felt entitled to it, they would just take it, like the government does, without asking.

goodandevil

Just cashed in a broken stereo at goodwill for $500- yes!! The cd drawer opens and closes in perpetuity; it has a soul of it's own like Herby. I think it was trying to communicate with me but i couldnt understand what the **** it was saying so now I owe $500 less on taxes. I guess I got to be thankful for that. THANK YOU JESUS

whodathunkit

What about just helping a friend or family or whoever you know who is down on their luck and give them some money to help them out, to get by. What a concept. Actually giving money to help someone in need and knowing it is going to them and them alone.That's far better "charity" than any of those rich, over-inflated organizations that need (beg for)your money to keep their big profit machines going, line their pockets and then give what little they have left over to the people who really need it.
Been doing this for years. Best thing going.

When I was in college they used to have these insanely cheap little umbrellas in my university bookstore. Like $3-$4 bucks apiece. When I got my financial aid I'd buy a bunch of them and keep a couple in my bookbag, then give them out to random people on the street who seemed like they needed them. I live in a hot climate so I'd stop and give one to someone walking in the noon sun. Or of course someone if they were walking and it was raining. It was fun and interesting to see the reactions. Some people thought I was crazy, but only a couple ever decline. :D

Birdie

I haven't had anybody ask for money directly this Christmas. But there are those who expect it. If somebody has been faithful to me all year helping out, I figure a bonus is due around now. (I don't live in a place where the bonus is considered a payment due.)

I used to get those receipts for donations like Goodwill, but not making $$ now, so just drop off and don't need the deduction slip. I think, though, it's just a deduction from your taxable income, rather than a deduction from your tax due amount...

Back
Top Bottom