Christmas present for some guy named Ray Peat

Agent207

Money is not a present, rather a donation; different purposes as I see. A present doesn't have to be something personal that one is currently looking or needs since that would be best purchased by himself, more adapted to his particular and specific criteria which others may be unaware of.

I see more a present as something more as a little gift, a gesture of courtesy from the ones appreciating his work.

Just my 2c.

Amazoniac

..and then you pretend to like it as a courtesy and place it on your basement collecting dust.
If the purpose is giving something personal and unique it has to be your own art. But I'm still with Greg and cantstoppeating, a Patreon campaign seems like the best option..

Agent207

No, its not for collecting. It is for the moment. Its for when he´ll see it -even on the basement- he'll remember that theres a bunch of persons out there thanking his work.

When I say it hasn't to be something useful for his life necessarily, it doesn't mean It hasn't to be something nice or creative/original.

The patreon idea is fine anyway.

Amazoniac

Agent207 said:
post 110761 No, its not for collecting. It is for the moment. Its for when he´ll see it -even on the basement- he'll remember that theres a bunch of persons out there thanking his work.

When I say it hasn't to be something useful for his life necessarily, it doesn't mean It hasn't to be something nice or creative/original.

The patreon idea is fine anyway.
He'll remember that when a monthly cash is deposited in his account. If it's not creative, authentic or original, money can buy..
I'm just messing. You have a point, but so do we.
I think I was more romantic when pboy was around.

Anyway, a Patreon campaign would be the best gift in my opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Dan W

Dan W

I think they're settling on just giving him the money, along with possibly a collective Christmas card. He hasn't been replying to the emails about presents, which probably speaks volumes.

The total has reached $300 so far.

onioneyedox

Yeah, I would think adding symbolic gift portion (card or using some portion of money for something small but special) would be appropriate. Giving just cold cash as a present just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe he is uncomfortable accepting such gift as well. (I don't know but that is a possibility.)

Setting up Patreon of otherwise collecting money/payments is something Ray should set up himself, imo.

Makrosky

onioneyedox said:
Yeah, I would think adding symbolic gift portion (card or using some portion of money for something small but special) would be appropriate. Giving just cold cash as a present just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe he is uncomfortable accepting such gift as well. (I don't know but that is a possibility.)

Setting up Patreon of otherwise collecting money/payments is something Ray should set up himself, imo.

You've got a point on that. Cold cash like that could feel really weird. However if you just tell him : "look this is just a bunch of people that found your work really helpful and wanted to donate a few bucks each in gratitude" then I think it's perfectly understandable.

Agree 100% on the Patreon thing. It is paternalistic. How knows, maybe the guy has all the money he needs to live and is happy with that.

XPlus

Unless we exactly know his attitude towards money, I think something of sentimental value would probably make him more happy.
Something like putting together some helpful collective of work derived from his ideas, like an elegant book directed at the public that requires his blessings.
Or maybe something to show him what people are doing. The success stories in a booklet - "Peatrians around the globe"
If someone lives nearby, we might be able to arrange a fund so they can volunteer to deliver some quality fresh food like milk, cheese, ox-tail, liver and OJ on a regular basis.
Maybe even make him some fancy food every once in a while (e.g. homemade icecream, pate, animal rennet cheese, etc ) with the best ingredients.
Send him few supplements to check out every now and then.
Someone involved in the science can maybe get him to direct some mice studies.
The gentleman has been denied this by the establishment all his life.

Yeah let's build a 500 million dollar institute as his christmas present :ss just send him a package with every IdeaLabs supplement. Tell Ray Peat that he has made them possible or something.

T

tobieagle

Imo leave the man alone.
He is not interested in money and he is not interested in getting worshipped.
If you want to make him happy, help to make the world a better place.

tara

tobieagle said:
post 111149 He is not interested in money and he is not interested in getting worshipped.
Do have reasons t think this? I think he is interested in getting paid for his work. He charges a subscription for his newsletter, and has taking money for consultaions. I think he does a fair bit of unpaid work too. He has to live and fund his own research supplies. I expect his independence leaves him out of many of the more lucrative funding sources in his areas of expertise.

tobieagle said:
post 111149 If you want to make him happy, help to make the world a better place.
That too. :)

answersfound

Maybe we all buy his newsletter and use patreon to make more people aware of it using Facebook or something.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Thanks to everyone for donating, over $1000 is headed Peat's way! Hopefully he uses it to create a gelatin swimming pool.

onioneyedox

Haha that is material for Cosmic Ray. He can invite Space Cow Queen for a visit to see his cool new pool.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Apparently a lot of people were still trying to donate, so Bryan's keeping the donation page open to "the end of the week" (Saturday, I guess?) for anyone that missed it.

Maybe Peat will be able to upgrade to an Olympic size gelatin pool now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals