Chris Masterjohn Seems To Be Falling Apart

postman

Nothing calmed down my "autoimmune" issues as much as eating a zero VA diet did (or maybe the NDT honeymoon did). I'm not on it right now because of reasons and because of that I'm dealing with joint pains, hair loss, acne, and asperger-like neurological symptoms again. But I suspect the VA conundrum has more to do with metabolization and usage of VA rather than it being inherently a poison, but who knows.

J

jb116

Nothing calmed down my "autoimmune" issues as much as eating a zero VA diet did (or maybe the NDT honeymoon did). I'm not on it right now because of reasons and because of that I'm dealing with joint pains, hair loss, acne, and asperger-like neurological symptoms again. But I suspect the VA conundrum has more to do with metabolization and usage of VA rather than it being inherently a poison, but who knows.
Metabolization issue is much more reasonable an assessment. The fact the same carrier protein is for T3 and Vit A doesnt make it easier, perhaps just more nuanced.

InChristAlone

For "autoimmunity" it makes no difference the disease, be it crohns or diabetes 1, Tregs as part of the immune system regulate how "aggressive" the immune system cleans up so to speak the debris. Vit A, in the right amounts happens to have a strong influence on Tregs helping to regulate the immune system appropriately. For me it was this knowledge several years ago that helped me to attain gut repair, amongst several other things for overall control and overcoming my situation. Immune responses are not about specific diseases, that is essentially a medical distinction. This is why Peat's over arching idea on metabolism resonated with me from the get go. It's about a total system coherence. Nutrients, hormones, vitamins and minerals all play their role.
That's great you were able to heal, but we were talking specifically about type 1, how would vitamin A help in that situation? Especially considering I've never heard of anyone regaining the ability to produce insulin. I guess no one can answer that because once those cells are gone they haven't been able to bring them back which is quite odd since most other organs seem to be able to heal.

Also if vitamin A regulates T cells then those on the low vitamin A diet should have wacked T cells right? Just had blood work done, all my blood counts are great. During a time when I was ill on the Peat diet, my neutrophils and lymphs were either too high or too low which was concerning to me as I was going through some chronic issues and of course eating my liver regularly and even supplementing A and D at times.

InChristAlone

Another Peat fan finding out the toxicity of vitamin A.
Screenshot_20191207-084936.jpg
Such an amazing vitamin huh?

Last edited:

postman

Not saying that anyone should take it on other parts of their bodies by the way, I'm just trying to point out the craziness of the situation. I don't think anyone should take it especially not if they're getting symptoms from it.

RWilly

His health journey likely began because of his own health issues, like many of us here. Much of it is trial and error and sharing what we learn along the way.

What I always think is sad, is that there are not success stories for most people. I know I read very few. I think we're still missing a huge key and huge 'ah-ha' in nutrition.

I just watched a Mercola interview yesterday on oxalates, and I didn't think Marcela looked very good either. He had that vegan undernourished look. I haven't followed him for a while. I'm thinking he is still a low carber.

Nah he's pretty bullish on saturated fat from what I've seen.

I'm thinking that could be an issue right there.

RWilly

Also a Peat fan in the FB group claims every time she takes vitamin A she gets a herpes outbreak.. that can't be doing anything good for her immune system. I've been eating no liver, no supplemental A or D, barely any egg yolks less than the RDA for vitamin A everyday for the last year and I have no immune system problems. No viral issues. No asthma, no intestinal disorders, no allergies and best of all no autoimmune attacks as far as I know. Thank God I took it easy, had I listened to most Peat fans I could be dealing with a lot more by now. Look around the only ones doing well take it easy on the supplements (including the toxic water soluble vitamin A) and are using thyroid, they need the thyroid to speed through the excess. Coimbra protocol is proving to destroy people as well. We have another Peat fan who is giving his girlfriend 100k vitamin A and loads of D for what a doctor thought might be LEUKEMIA. Peat fans need to cool it.

I believe the FB person was saying that she take A regularly as well as zinc. But when she stops the zinc, she gets the outbreak.

RWilly

Individuals with T1D have 235% higher LPS than those without diabetes.

Tenacity

Didn't Ray Peat himself also say he got headaches from VA? Something about him getting headaches from even just putting it on his lips, so he puts it on other parts of his body instead...
Yeah, I think it was because of allergens in the product rather than any toxicity of vitamin A.

Nebula

It seems a lot of vitamins do more harm than good unless everything else is in place to utilize it fully and quickly. Especially retinol since it can oxidize easily. I gave myself some weird skin and sebum issues for a year from eating daily homemade liver pâté when my metabolism apparently couldn’t handle it.

InChristAlone

I believe the FB person was saying that she take A regularly as well as zinc. But when she stops the zinc, she gets the outbreak.
She clearly said she only takes the vitamin A a few times a month because of the risk of an outbreak. She said the Herpes came on because of ACCUTANE. Then she needs to use progesterone to stop the outbreak. People are still trying to stick up for something that is harming people. Eat liver if you so choose, but I think the community should stop worshiping toxic supplements.

RWilly

She clearly said she only takes the vitamin A a few times a month because of the risk of an outbreak. She said the Herpes came on because of ACCUTANE. Then she needs to use progesterone to stop the outbreak. People are still trying to stick up for something that is harming people. Eat liver if you so choose, but I think the community should stop worshiping toxic supplements.

Yes... she did say her first outbreak was on Accutane, but she also said "Here’s my issue, when I take Vit A without Zinc, it makes the herpes virus in my body come out. If I load up with zinc a few days before I take vit A, it doesn’t happen."

(I'm not posting to argue... just to understand the issue in more depth. I'm not a liver eater, and still on the fence about vitamin A. I'm also not currently take any supplements.)

InChristAlone

Yes... she did say her first outbreak was on Accutane, but she also said "Here’s my issue, when I take Vit A without Zinc, it makes the herpes virus in my body come out. If I load up with zinc a few days before I take vit A, it doesn’t happen."

(I'm not posting to argue... just to understand the issue in more depth. I'm not a liver eater, and still on the fence about vitamin A. I'm also not currently take any supplements.)
Yes zinc is needed to make retinol binding protein which makes it less toxic but she clearly has enough retinoic acid floating around needing to be binded if she has to take a lot of zinc just to deal with 10,000 units of it.

That's good you are not promoting the use of it.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

His health journey likely began because of his own health issues, like many of us here. Much of it is trial and error and sharing what we learn along the way.

What I always think is sad, is that there are not success stories for most people. I know I read very few. I think we're still missing a huge key and huge 'ah-ha' in nutrition.

I just watched a Mercola interview yesterday on oxalates, and I didn't think Marcela looked very good either. He had that vegan undernourished look. I haven't followed him for a while. I'm thinking he is still a low carber.

I'm thinking that could be an issue right there.
Success is often a relative thing. I know many people who are a success because instead of being debilitated and in bed, they are leading a decent life. I count myself among them. But time keeps ticking and everyone is going to the grave. I think the Peat measure of success...namely not aging because of high metabolism, was a pipe dream

Edit: another success story is avoiding the medical establishment and getting back to a semblance of health through natural means. That is directly saving your own life

Mito

we were talking specifically about type 1, how would vitamin A help in that situation?
Because regulatory T cells (Tregs) are thought to be involved in not only inflammatory bowel conditions but also other chronic inflammatory conditions like T1D as suggested by this study Influence of Dietary Components on Regulatory T Cells

“....Treg homeostasis could prove valuable to control many chronic inflammatory conditions directly affecting the gut (IBD, Crohn’s disease) or indirectly influencing other chronic tissue inflammatory conditions (T1D, MS and RA) regulated by Tregs.”

RWilly

Edit: another success story is avoiding the medical establishment and getting back to a semblance of health through natural means. That is directly saving your own life

Agreed. I'm fortunate that I haven't seen a doctor in over 4 years.

InChristAlone

Because regulatory T cells (Tregs) are thought to be involved in not only inflammatory bowel conditions but also other chronic inflammatory conditions like T1D as suggested by this study Influence of Dietary Components on Regulatory T Cells

“....Treg homeostasis could prove valuable to control many chronic inflammatory conditions directly affecting the gut (IBD, Crohn’s disease) or indirectly influencing other chronic tissue inflammatory conditions (T1D, MS and RA) regulated by Tregs.”
That paper did nothing in helping me understand how vit A protects against T1D. Too much lingo I have no understanding on and too many theories based on in vitro testing.

Not to mention if VA was that important in regulating autoimmune attacks then we'd see the poorest countries with the highest incidence no? For T1D it is the opposite.
T1Dincidence.JPG
Source

"Despite considerable variations between the countries, celiac, type 1
diabetes and myasthenia gravis frequencies increased the most in Canada, Israel and Denmark, respectively.
Frequencies of the autoimmune diseases increased significantly in the West and North when compared to East and
South, respectively. Conclusions: Despite multiple reports on autoimmune diseases frequencies, long-term
longitudinal follow-ups are scarce. Incidences and prevalences have increased significantly over the last 30 years.
Rheumatic, endocrinological and gastrointestinal autoimmune diseases in Israel, Netherlands, USA and Sweden
increased the most. These observations point to a stronger influence of environmental factors as opposed to genetic
factors on autoimmune disease development." Source

So my question still stands, how is vit A doing anything to stop autoimmune conditions?

mrsuomi

Sounds like neuropathy from autoimmunity, look like Chris is gonna have to try the carnivore diet which he debated against several times, how ironic.