Chris Masterjohn Seems To Be Falling Apart

tankasnowgod

Might as well join in the cathartic releasing of our FLCO horror stories... I recall always keeping it cold to ensure their quality remained pure, and faithfully took my tablespoon of not just the cod liver oil but the skate liver oil as well! Even had to round out my supplemental protocol with the butter oil... I would take one tablespoon each before bed, plugging my nostrils and then chasing with anything I could to get the horrible taste out of my mouth.

Now, I do recall having VERY vivid dreams after taking the stuff, which I kind of liked. I was playing around with lucid dreaming at the time, and even managed to briefly go lucid a couple of times. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t interested in ordering some more of the stuff to experiment with the dreamworld again.... the more experienced one is the more they can play with fire right?

I only odered the FCLO a couple times. But I did take a fair amount of the regular stuff. I don't think Regular Cod Liver Oil has the same issues, but still wish I had avoided it in retrospect. I don't think there was any issues health wise with the butter oil, it was just overpriced and likely overhyped.

The most vivid dream I ever remember having was when I first started experimenting with Resistant Starch. It was so bright, like noon at the equator bright, and most times, it seems like my dreams tend to be dark, almost like I'm viewing them through a welders helmet or something.

Nemo

Well, it's oxidized PUFA galore. What I wonder about is: how can people ingest that regularly without feeling awfully sick long before they develop cancer?

Oh yes, you do feel awfully sick long before you develop cancer. Or I did. That's when I went to a doctor who put me on estrogen.

Fortunately, didn't stay on that long either.

Nemo

Yes, it is PUFA, but I know several people who ate a lot of PUFA for years, still eat PUFA, and don't have such serious problems.

That is exactly what my PUFA-eating stepfather said before he entered into 18 months of slowly suffocating to death from congestive heart failure. Worst death I have ever seen.

Gotta hand it to the medical system. They can patch you up and keep away the consequences of your mistakes for a very long time.

Daft

There are still people that think beans are food for humans?
I only odered the FCLO a couple times. But I did take a fair amount of the regular stuff. I don't think Regular Cod Liver Oil has the same issues, but still wish I had avoided it in retrospect. I don't think there was any issues health wise with the butter oil, it was just overpriced and likely overhyped.

The most vivid dream I ever remember having was when I first started experimenting with Resistant Starch. It was so bright, like noon at the equator bright, and most times, it seems like my dreams tend to be dark, almost like I'm viewing them through a welders helmet or something.

On that note, beans are also a cause of vivid dreams. They provide slow source of carbs and SCFA's as you sleep, as does resistant starch.
I believe fish oil has the effect by thinning the blood and so increasing blood circulation in the brain during sleep. It has also caused more vivid dreaming in me and others.

Another note, I tried COD oil once upon a time and noticed problems. Too much vitamin A I think is the main problem. Dry skin and lips, and also seemed to vaguely yet seriously mess with sleep.

Waynish

The reason is because carb metabolism requires more t3. So just because keto lowers your t3, it's only because it's needed for the extra carbs

Not a sufficient explanation considering the amount of metabolic problems long-term low carb people encounter. Your explanation also lacks a mechanism and reference.

InChristAlone

I feel like CM's research and bias is being too influenced by his assistant Briana (who eats a high plant based diet , and likely the reason CM switched to squash as she is a big promoter of nutrient dense carbs and greatly criticizes sugar and Peat's research), and also his cohort Alex Leaf who also greatly criticizes Peat's research you can see his responses in the Peat inspired group if you search his name.

thomas00

I read a tweet from Chris Masterjohn the other day, the twitter gave me all these suggestions from associated health gurus, many of whom I used to listen to: Robb Wolfe, Paul Jaminet, Emily Deans etc etc

Some are still plugging away with the same old stuff, others appear to have ditched what they used to preach and are now onto some newer fad, which often involves writing promissory notes of what said fad will hopefully deliver. I see Jaminet has launched some company spruiking what looks like the kind of generic thing most microbiology departments spew out: a supposedly novel (and exciting!) discovery that will probably yield little more than a drug that is toxic or useless (or both) but will bring $$$ from the patents and some accolades for the people behind it.

I thank Ray Peat for freeing me from ever having to listen to these people ever again.

sunraiser

I respect Chris Masterjohn an awful lot. I hope he recovers well, though I suspect too much theory and not enough intuition is a huge issue for him.

It's a big hazard in his line of work.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I respect Chris Masterjohn an awful lot. I hope he recovers well, though I suspect too much theory and not enough intuition is a huge issue for him.

It's a big hazard in his line of work.
Yes. I fell victim to that myself although I’m certainly not at his intelligence level! I think it’s common amongst health nerds.

I feel like CM's research and bias is being too influenced by his assistant Briana (who eats a high plant based diet , and likely the reason CM switched to squash as she is a big promoter of nutrient dense carbs and greatly criticizes sugar and Peat's research), and also his cohort Alex Leaf who also greatly criticizes Peat's research you can see his responses in the Peat inspired group if you search his name.

Nice sleuthing.

Jib

It's certainly unsettling to see the amount of predation in the nutrition and health world. Everyone needs clients, everyone needs credibility...and it can become quite vicious. The waters get very muddy.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
~Upton Sinclair

The people we casually associate with on a regular basis can heavily influence our thoughts and behaviors, let alone people we associate with on a professional basis.

I haven't seen these criticisms of Peat myself. I was banned from Ray Peat FB groups a long time ago because of a personal conflict I had with one of the moderators. I'd be very curious to know what they are. I'd expect that they're criticisms of things taken out of context, removed from the bigger picture. And Peat is all about the bigger picture. I'd also expect almost religious defense of omega 3 fatty acids, and equally religious condemnation of sugar, based more on emotion and bandwagon thinking rather than actual refutation.

It's very hard to resist intellectual influence when you're in close quarters with people on a regular basis.

dfspcc20

Has anyone been following CMJ closely to know if he ever resolved or got to the bottom of his gait/foot drop issues?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals