Chris Masterjohn Seems To Be Falling Apart

Tarmander

Couple people are commenting on facebook on a recent post at the end of November from Chris Masterjohn on Facebook.

Lots of theories around this. Veganism, too much Vit A, etc.

Here is the quote from his post:

"I went in for an MRI last night. I was nervous AF about getting injected with gadolinium contrast and you can probably tell the anxiety level is way higher in my before picture versus in the post-MRI beer pic.

I’m investigating an abnormal gait that has crept up on me three times now. The first time was while I was on terbinafine in 2017 for a fungal infection. The second was in January or so of this year after I’d switched my main carbs from beans and veggies to butternut squash. This last time seemed to come up after I started tanning, which helps my eczema whenever it starts creeping up.

The gait issue feels like I have to pick my legs up too high to move. My girlfriend noticed my left leg dragging too.

Every time it happens I adjust a few things and it goes away. The terbinafine also caused severe twitching, which I solved by getting enough potassium and avoiding alcohol and acids. As it subsided it settled into a fuzzy paresthesia in my cheeks that got better and better over time. The last bout of twitching is highly effectively managed with strategies targeting acid-base balance and glutamate (currently emphasizing beta-alanine and B6). The gait issue seemed to resolve in response to ensuring adequate B vitamins across the board.

By the time I went to the neurologist the gait issue was 95% gone, but she thought me having a witness to the leg dragging compelling enough to do an MRI and EMG.

If I find anything interesting I’ll be using it to probe whether I have any genetics that could offer a unified explanation for why veganism and terbinafine both seem to have caused neurological problems for me. Notably, my cholesterol is always low (currently 140-160), veganism slashed it to 106, and terbinafine works by inhibiting fungal sterol synthesis and is 60% active against human cholesterol synthesis.

When I have more info I’ll keep you up to date!"

His post is from Nov 26th here: Chris Masterjohn, PhD

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That’s sad, I hope he’s ok.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Seems like a common theme for people who followed the weston price model diligently. They missed something

tara

Seems like a common theme for people who followed the weston price model diligently. They missed something
How are you getting from CM speculating about veganism and low cholesterol associated with the trouble to Weston Price? Weston Price didn't promote vegan or cholesterol lowering diets did he?

LLight

I don't follow him much but I was not expecting he could be vegan.
Do you know why? Is it an experience?

Kingpinguin

Abnormal gait can be linked to nutrient deficiencies like B12 and copper. Sign of peripheral neuropathy. Could be signs of worse things aswell. Hope he’ll get well.

GreekDemiGod

I never followed the guy, but curious what are you referring to?
Also, I'd be wary of any nutrition youtuber / influencer, sometimes they invent such events / diseases just for drama / views / publicity.

burtlancast

The guy has MS.

ExCarniv

He advocates for green vegetables and beans as major source of food/nutrients. That's what happens to you if you eat too much of that.

Amazoniac

By the way, I was suspecting for a while now that fungal infections affect poison/"vitamin" A metabolism by leading to (arguable) inappropriate induction of the similar enzymes, wasting other nutrients such as magnesium, molybdenum, etc, and possibly inflamming the intestine (or the region in question), which is a priming site for handling it.
- Acetaldehyde As A Cause For Chronic Migraines In Candida Patients

- Manganese Promotes Bacterial Growth, Zinc Cures
- Temporary Strict Iron Avoidance And Its Potential Advantages

Raj mentioned in an interview some exceptional cases getting slightly drunk from sugar (awbuzze?) when dealing with infections of this sort. It's a challenge to have an alcoholic factory at meal times.

Last edited:

lampofred

Again there is someone struggling with low cholesterol. It is becoming way too common. Something is wrong, especially considering how epidemic high cholesterol was just a few years ago.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

How are you getting from CM speculating about veganism and low cholesterol associated with the trouble to Weston Price? Weston Price didn't promote vegan or cholesterol lowering diets did he?
The veganism thing was so long ago, and he still practices much of the WP diet.

I never followed the guy, but curious what are you referring to?
Also, I'd be wary of any nutrition youtuber / influencer, sometimes they invent such events / diseases just for drama / views / publicity.
There are quite a few WP diet proponents and fermented cod liver advocates who died from mysterious illnesses or brain cancer. Not scientific but seems to be a theme.

yerrag

Again there is someone struggling with low cholesterol. It is becoming way too common. Something is wrong, especially considering how epidemic high cholesterol was just a few years ago.
Is he an advocate for PUFAs? Could that explain his low cholesterol? And how would he make enough vitamin D as well as hormones?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals