Chris Masterjohn Rolls Out New Podcast

seano

Podcast/Downloadable version is up.

Note: This was a Live QA so he was simply answering questions that came in live on Facebook.

The Daily Lipid: The Daily Lipid Podcast Episode 14: I Came LIVE On Facebook So YOU Could Ask Me Anything, and THIS Is What Happened!
Show Notes for Episode 14

Here is what you will find in the episode (please note that the times are for the podcast; they will be similar but slightly different for the video because the video and podcasts have different introductions):

2:11 Is it the saturated fat that causes inflammation in animal models of obesity?
9:37 What do I think about Ray Peat’s and Andrew Kim’s views on sugar?
19:01 How essential are antioxidants in the diet? How much is too much?
29:38 What do I think about Brian Peskin’s work on “parent” essential oils?
31:16 What do I recommend as tests for folate status?
35:58 What would I recommend to recover from an accidental exposure to gluten?
44:33 What would I recommend telling a group of doctor’s interested in nutritional therapy about fats and cholesterol? (this includes a bit about choline)
54:49 How much protein should we eat to balance the priorities of muscle mass and longevity?
1:05:36 Is nutritional ketosis desirable for a healthy person, and is 100 grams of carbs per day enough?
1:19:51 What do I think about the potential for gluten withdrawal to help with neuromuscular issues and gross motor delays in children despite negative IgA tests?
1:24:22 Can someone’s triglyceride-to-HDL-cholesterol ratio be too low?

seano

He had anther Q&A. Calcium came up at 1:13:17.
Note: The topics covered are based on questions from the audience. He didn't plan or choose them.

The Daily Lipid: The Daily Lipid Podcast Episode 15: You Asked Me Anything About Heart Disease, 06/16/2016

Show Notes for Episode 15

4:00 Introduction about the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis
12:10 Should we micromanage the intake of specific saturated fatty acids to prevent heart disease?
26:23 Should we use our ApoE genotype to help decide what to eat?
36:05 Why the total-to-HDL-cholesterol ratio is still my favorite lipid-based predictor of heart disease risk.
37:34 The importance of fat-soluble vitamins
42:39 Interpreting total cholesterol and the total-to-HDL-cholesterol ratio along with thyroid and sex hormones to understand cholesterol metabolism.
47:50 What do statins do to your body?
49:09 Why do different HDL particles differ in their protective properties? I discuss the role of vitamin E.
52:04 Can heart disease be reversed?
58:39 Does pre-hypertension directly contribute to heart disease, or is its association with heart disease a reflection of a common underlying cause for both?
1:02:54 What are the most important markers to look at and which are most modifiable?
1:07:22 The regulation of PCSK9 by insulin and inflammation, with an evolutionary context for why it is regulated this way.
1:13:17 Do Americans consume too much calcium?
1:18:15 Using essential oils to prevent or treat heart disease.
1:21:58 How do we approach whether to use diet and lifestyle or to use medication?

Mufasa

I agree with you . Masterjohn seems to like using all of Peat's work and ideas as if it comes from himself, without giving the due credit to Peat. Then ofcourse there is his denial of PUFA's , but he does not have a choice as he's worked (still is ?) for Weston Price, the arch enemy of Peat.

Hey this is not true. Masterjohn talks with a lot of respect and love for Ray Peat's work, and enourage everyone to read it. He says that he disagree with a lot of stuff, especially PUFA, but he says that Ray Peat is really refreshing to read, and that he learned of Ray Peat and the references that Ray Peat cite.

dfspcc20

Weston Price, the arch enemy of Peat

It's a bit of a stretch to call Weston Price himself the "arch enemy" of Peat. Certain aspects of the eponymous Foundation, maybe, but there still is a lot of overlap. There are other "gurus" who would be much closer to a nemesis of Ray.

seano

... for Weston Price, the arch enemy of Peat.

Stop trying to make people into "enemies" unless someone personally attacks another.

All of these topics are an ongoing discussion. And I'm sure Peat would be appalled at people who take every word he says as "gospel". He of all people encourages debate, discussion and continual learning!

p.s. Dr. Price, RIP, made huge contributions and was way ahead of many others.

p.s.s. The Price Foundation isn't high muscle meat. I adopted much of their practices years ago. It's what led to me using gelatin rich broths, and they are likely the most influential in broth coming back into popularity. They are also why I eat organ meats.

dfspcc20

I don't think its "maybe" for the foundation. Cod liver oil, high muscle meat, and whole milk are not "Peat."

There are differences, but it's not the complete antithesis, which "arch enemy" would imply. To me, an "arch enemy" of Peat might be someone recommending eating soybeans (GMO, glyphospate-ridden, of course) fried in cottonseed oil, while washing it down with fluoridated drinking water and recommending you keep up with as many vaccinations and diagnostic x-rays as possible. <not meant to be a complete list of the Peat nemesis>

Just a little bit of a defense (I know I'm not going to change your mind).

- muscle meats - I wouldn't say WAPF is "pro-muscle meat" as they are "pro-whole animal". They recognize the importance of gelatin (and calcium, among other things).
- whole milk - I get a little frustrated with their dogmatic recommendations on fat, too, though they are pro-saturated fats.
- CLO - they are a bit dated here. Weston Price saw it as an easy-to-access, year-round, inexpensive source of fat-soluble vitamins. But even he saw harm in its long-term use. There are better ways to get these vitamins.

Last edited:

dfspcc20

p.s. Dr. Price, RIP, made huge contributions and was way ahead of many others.

p.s.s. The Price Foundation isn't high muscle meat. I adopted much of their practices years ago. It's what led to me using gelatin rich broths, and they are likely the most influential in broth coming back into popularity. They are also why I eat organ meats.

I agree. There are plenty of other more dangerous groups to criticize. There are many areas of overlap with Price and the WAPF, so it seems silly to consider them an "enemy". But that goes both ways- the WAPF has been very resistant to Peat, I think because of the disagreements between him and Mary Enig. Hopefully Chris Masterjohn can start to move them in the right direction.

and yet it is "I think the cod liver oil and low iron (red meat) intake were helpful."

I asked Peat how he would explain the success of Swank's diet for MS and his reply was: "I think the cod liver oil and low iron (red meat) intake were helpful."

It's an odd quote. I'm skeptical that it's real. Red meat is high iron so he was saying that red meat intake was low.

"Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal. In excess, it can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses. "

"The real issue is that you can hardly avoid getting iron, even when you try."

"In the 1940s, some of the toxic effects of fish oil (such as testicular degeneration, softening of the brain, muscle damage, and spontaneous cancer) were found to result from an induced vitamin E deficiency. Unfortunately, there isn't much reason to think that just supplementing vitamin E will provide general protection against the unsaturated fats. The half-life of fats in human adipose tissue is about 600 days, meaning that significant amounts of previously consumed oils will still be present up to four years after they have been removed from the diet."

"Fish oil or safflower oil, though, can't be stored long at room temperature, and at 98 degrees F, the spontaneous oxidation is very fast."

The Great Fish Oil Experiment

muscle meats - I wouldn't say WAPF is "pro-muscle meat" as they are "pro-whole animal". They recognize the importance of gelatin (and calcium, among other things).

WAP is pro daily muscle meats. Even with gelatin, Peat is not pro daily muscle meat. Too much certain amino acids and phosphate.

“but some proteins, especially muscle meats, don't have enough Glycine in relation to tryptophan.”

“I've seen several grossly malfunctioning knees recover immediately (in from 1 to 12 hours) just with topical progesterone, but the first thing should be to make sure her calcium to phosphorus ratio is good, by having two quarts of low fat milk per day, or the equivalent in low fat cheese, with no grains, legumes, nuts, or muscle meats, and with some well cooked greens regularly. Vitamin K is important for calcium metabolism, too.”

“Muscle meats are essentially a refined food.”

Peatarian.com Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

dfspcc20

WAP is pro daily muscle meats. Even with gelatin, Peat is not pro daily muscle meat. Too much certain amino acids and phosphate.
“Muscle meats are essentially a refined food.”

To be fair, I'd say the WAPF would agree with this quote. I've never seen them recommend muscle meats to the exclusion of the gelatin rich parts that are always attached.

But, yes, differences compared to Peat's recommendations. Calling them an "enemy" because of the disagreement is a bit harsh.

WAPF as promoted by Sally Fallon and others is very different from Peat in terms of specific details of general diet recs. and supps.

Staring with a tropical fruit based or fruit juice based diet, that is not WAPF. Fructose.

Last edited:

blob69

It's an odd quote. I'm skeptical that it's real. Red meat is high iron so he was saying that red meat intake was low.

You're implying that I made it up? It's not THAT odd - cod liver oil is high in vitamins and omega 3 suppresses inflammation, so maybe that is what he had in mind.

Mufasa

Egg yolks are high in AA, oysters are high in DHA, liver high in iron. No food is perfect.

I mainly dont take cod liver oil because I dont trust any company making it and there are some good vitamin A products on the market these days, otherwise cod liver oil seems quite reasonable to me if you have high vitamin A needs.

SAFarmer

Point me to anywhere where Chris Masterjohn praises Ray Peat for the great work he has done or how good a scientist he thinks Ray is ... not merely how "interesting" he thinks his work is . He'll rather die .

Mufasa

Point me to anywhere where Chris Masterjohn praises Ray Peat for the great work he has done or how good a scientist he thinks Ray is ... not merely how "interesting" he thinks his work is . He'll rather die .

He said a couple of times that drastically lowered his PUFA intake after reading Ray Peat. I saw on a show on his facebook, that he thinks everybody should read Ray Peat, but that he doesn't agree on all the points he makes, especially PUFA being non essential.

seano

Here's the podcast form of the Q&A above.
The Daily Lipid Podcast Episode 18: You Asked Me Anything About Fat-Soluble Vitamins, Facebook Live, 06/29/16

Show Notes for Episode 18

In this episode you will find the following:

0:00 Introduction, announcement about the “About Me” section of this site.
4:36 Fat-soluble vitamin nutrition during warfarin therapy, and the critical importance of working with the supervising cardiologist or whoever prescribed the warfarin.
14:20 Overuse of vitamin D supplements, and the use of parathyroid hormone (PTH), diet, and lifestyle analysis for a more prudent approach.
32:46 My opinion on Life Extension’s vitamin K supplement.
37:46 Too many fat-soluble vitamins versus nutrient imbalances.
40:21 Accidental poisoning of pets with warfarin analogues designed to kill rodents, and treating the pet.
43:17 Does it matter what time of day you take vitamin D?
44:26 Are nutritional databases reliable?
50:26 I predict technology that could help nutritional databases become more reliable and usable.
53:54 Is Bulletproof coffee sufficient to help fat-soluble vitamins get absorbed?
57:46 How I manage my own vitamin D intake and sun exposure to balance the priorities of getting sufficient vitamin D and circadian rhythm stimulation while avoiding sun-induced skin damage.
1:03:11 Resveratrol: even the hormetic dose requires many nutrients found in foods to have its effect.
1:14:53 Balancing vitamins A and D in pregnancy.
1:17:18 Use of low-dose aspirin in pregnancy.
1:21:25 How to get a day’s intake of calcium.
1:24:06 Fermented cod liver oil: amines and self-experimentation.
1:26:36 Is it ok to take vitamin D in large doses once per week instead of small doses daily?
1:27:29 Do babies need to take vitamin D supplements?
1:30:54 What can be done to help fat-soluble vitamin absorption?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals