Chris Masterjohn Rolls Out New Podcast

EndAllDisease

Just got an email from The Daily Lipid newsletter sent out by Chris Masterjohn.
He has just launched a podcast! Would be great to see Ray on the show. ;)

His first one, on coffee, so far I am fairly unimpressed with.
He starts with skepticism about the large body of studies that have found coffee possesses a number of disease preventive effects, which is fine, and he theorizes that the differences of interactions of coffee in different people are related to genes, as opposed to energetic state and thyroid. I also haven't heard any mention of the magnesium and niacinamide content of coffee, like many researchers, he seems to lump it into the same category as caffeine alone.

He has also mentioned a receptor theory at one point in this episode, which may or may not be true.
His second podcast is about Cholesterol and Saturated fat and the third is called The Sugar Conspiracy. I like the direction of his shows but not sure how much his viewpoints will align with Ray's.

Here are the shows!
The Daily Lipid: Introducing The Daily Lipid... Wait For It... PODCAST! Episodes 1, 2, and 3 are now live!

If someone invites Ray Peat and then goes all aggressive with questions about genes and stuff like that it will be the last interview we get from him :ss

yoshiesque

I have spoken to Chris a few times via email. It seems that he is not exactly a fan of all Ray Peat ideas. One of them was on Calcium. He doesnt believe supplementing with egg shells is a good idea, as calcium supplementation can lead to calcification. There are studies showing that calcium is best absorbed from dairy or foods, rather than supplementation.

Excuse me , Chris who ?

Oh4fCE.gif

lindsay

burtlancast

Keith Woodforde asked Masterjohn to write the introduction for his book "Devil in the milk", which he was almost obliged to do, since Keith was in good terms with Sally Fallon and her organisation.

But if one digs a little deeper in Chris' articles about PUFAS, , one realizes the guy is an expert in mixing truth with falsehood, and is among the worst people specialized in decredibilizing Peat's work

Last edited:

lindsay

But if one digs a little deeper in Chris' articles about PUFAS, , one realizes the guy is an expert in mixing truth with falsehood, and is among the worst people specializing in decredibilizing Peat's work

What does he have to say about PUFA's?

burtlancast

narouz

In one of Peat's interviews someone asked him about Masterjohn.
Peat said something like:
"I think he's very good, but he still won't say that PUFAs are bad."
(That is just my hack approximation from memory; I'm sure Peat was more eloquent;
but that is the gist of what he said.)

narouz

I listened a few days ago to the Masterjohn podcast someone--maybe Dan Wich?--posted.
I really enjoyed it--it was about checking PTH, and the inter-relation of calcium, phosphate,
vitamin D, and PTH.

I did note that Masterjohn used a lot of Weston Price's studies and data.
He looked at Price's data from several non-modern cultures.
He looked at the correlation between those cultures' diets and their health
as measured by their dental and skeletal health.
And he looked at the calcium to phosphate ratios in their diets:
-the Swiss of the Lochenthal (or somesuch) Valley ate rye bread and cheese
and had a calcium - phosphate ratio of 1.6 : 1.8
-the Gallics of the Outer Hebrides ate fish heads stuffed with oats(!)
and had a C -P of 1.7 : 3.0
-the Inuits ate a lot of marine and animal meat
and had a C - P of 2 : 5.7
-some North American indian tribe ate a largely animal diet
and had a C - P of 2.3 : 6.6

Masterjohn concluded from that
that all those non-modern diets were excellent
because their dental and skeletal health was great (Price was a dentist, I believe).
And so the way Masterjohn saw it, the calcium : phosphate ration was not absolute
in terms of its correlation with good health.
He seemed to believe that the worst impact on health in terms of calcium and phosphate levels
was from processed foods,
which contain even more phosphate than they say they do on food labels.
(I may've distorted a bit some of what Masterjohn said, but this is from memory plus a few scant notes I made.)

So I came away impressed, but also having some reservations.
I don't really trust the idea that if a culture had great dental and bone health,
then they had great health in general.
Also, Masterjohn seemed to say that a calcium to phosphate ratio
of 1.6 : 1.8 (Swiss)
is just as healthy as a ratio
of 2.3 : 6:6 (American indian).
(Again, apologies to Masterjohn if I've inaccurately represented him, but this was my rough understanding.)

So I like Masterjohn, and Peat has said he likes Masterjohn generally,
but I'm going to have to hear more of him.

Peater Piper

Precious Yet Perilous - Weston A Price

Like all his other associates at the Weston Price foundation, he entirely ignores Ray's evidence and even goes as far as lionizing George and Mildred Burr's work.

Clever boy.
That article is 6-years old. Opinions change over time. On the daily lipid he has plenty of articles discussing the benefits of saturated fat and the dangers of PUFA. You can find changes in Peat's views by reading some of his earlier articles and comparing them to his current views. The people that scare me are the ones that never update their opinion based on new information, or are unwilling to accept that opinions can change.

burtlancast

You can find changes in Peat's views by reading some of his earlier articles and comparing them to his current views.

I don't need to comb through Ray's old articles on PUFAS because as early as 1988 he was putting Charlotte Gerson and Udo Erasmus on notice about PUFAS' dangerous effects. (Ray's exchanges with Charlotte Gerson and Udo Erasmus)

So, if you have concrete evidence on Ray changing his opinion on PUFAS, we will be all very grateful for your contributions if you posted it rather than alluding to it. ;)

Peater Piper

I said you can find changes in Peat's views by reading some of his older articles compared to more recent ones. I wasn't referring specifically to polyunsaturated fat.

SAFarmer

Precious Yet Perilous - Weston A Price

Like all his other associates at the Weston Price foundation, he entirely ignores Ray's evidence and even goes as far as lionizing George and Mildred Burr's work.

Clever boy.
I agree with you . Masterjohn seems to like using all of Peat's work and ideas as if it comes from himself, without giving the due credit to Peat. Then ofcourse there is his denial of PUFA's , but he does not have a choice as he's worked (still is ?) for Weston Price, the arch enemy of Peat.

But as in all things, Masterjohn is not all bad and I like listening to him too, even if it is to say and present things from a different angle or viewpoint.

jaa

Enjoying his podcast so far. It's nice to hear some different perspectives on nutrition from someone who knows the literature. And Masterjohn is on the more reasonable side of that ancestral health movement. I don't think many people would get in trouble eating like his recommendations.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals