Chris' log

chris

20 years old, known about Peat for a year or so and been implementing lots of different aspects of it since then.

I reckon I have been 100% in Peats guidelines since the 16th, so almost a week, whereas before it was not quite 100%, e.g high pufa from occassional fast food, no carrot salad etc...

For the past week I have been drinking lots of coffee, carrot salad every day, drinking a ton of milk. Since the 16th I have lost 15 lbs. So 15 lbs lost in 6 days which I am happy with. One thing I have noticed with carrot salad and cutting out bad foods, my heartburn is completely gone.

Been experimenting with ondansetron and possibly noticed subtle difference, 2x2mg as killed my stool regularity so had to pause for a day or two, even at 1tsp cascara.

Issues I am working on are digestive issues, weight, motivation a bit of brain fog.

Past issues I feel I have resolved are panic attacks, anxiety (to an extent), excessive sweating, heartburn.

Feel free to ask me anything.

HDD

chris said:
Past issues I feel I have resolved are panic attacks, anxiety (to an extent), excessive sweating.

That is great! I have a 20 yr old son who is taking an ssri for this. What do you think has helped the most?

OP
chris

chris

Haagendazendiane said:
chris said:
Past issues I feel I have resolved are panic attacks, anxiety (to an extent), excessive sweating.

That is great! I have a 20 yr old son who is taking an ssri for this. What do you think has helped the most?

I'm guessing you mean the panic attacks and anxiety? I couldn't pin it down to one thing but my problems were at their peak when I was low carb and low salt. I think many aspects of a "peat diet" would improve these.

For what its worth, my panic attacks went crazy after a vaccination. Don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorists but ever since that I don't think I'll have another vaccination again.

HDD

Yes, that is what I meant. I think it would help, too.

I think you are being wise about vaccinations.

Mittir

Things i have found very effective following Ray Peat guidelines.

1. Removing starch and eating sugar from fruit juice,Milk, Honey and table sugar.
I lost about 14 lbs in few weeks once i switched to sugar from starch.
It took me 2 years years before i could convince myself to go all sugar.

2. Weekly liver, shellfish and daily carrot. Liver is very powerful.
I eat small piece of liver (half oz to 1 oz piece) with each meal until i reach 4 oz.
Soak liver in salt water or milk for few hours before you cook.

3. 80 grams of protein. It is not easy to eat this much protein. But result is great.

4 Light therapy. 500 watts of incandescent light.

5. Keeping a good ratio of calcium and phosphorus. 1:1

6 Recently i have received some good quality honey. These are mildly processed honey.
Excellent result. Fructose content of honey varies widely depending on the source of honey
and high temperature processing destroys most of the health benefits of honey.

7 You can try donating blood. I could not donate my blood cause i am taking thyroid med.
This supposed to improve health instantly ,especially liver function and blood glucose.
Check your Ferritin level and Transferrin saturation index to be sure if you have excess iron .

HDD

Mittir,
I am trying to plug in foods to cronometer to obtain the calcium/phosphorous ratio. Is this what you use to calculate?

I agree that it is hard to get 80 grams of protein without consuming meats.

Mittir

Haagendazendiane said:
Mittir,
I am trying to plug in foods to cronometer to obtain the calcium/phosphorous ratio. Is this what you use to calculate?

I do not use cronometer, i check nutrition profile of each food from nutritiondata.com.
I believe cronometer and this site both use same usda data. RP himself eats 200 grams
of meat or fish everyday. It is not easy to find fresh, low fat, low iron fish.
Beef is too high in iron. If you eat meat or fish make sure you get extra calcium from
egg shell powder. Eating calcium with phosphorus rich food at the same time
helps with inhibiting fiber break down and phosphorus absorption. Eating protein during day time
helps with sleep too. I think only gelatin before bed is helpful due to absence of tryptophan.

John Eels

Mittir, you say beef is too high in iron. Would you say that it's still too high considered one drank coffee at the same time?

Mittir

John Eels said:
Mittir, you say beef is too high in iron. Would you say that it's still too high considered one drank coffee at the same time?
Coffee inhibits about 50% of iron. You still have 2 mg out of 4 mg of iron from 100 grams of beef.
Beef liver has about 5 mg of iron per 100 grams. Body uses about 1 to 2 mg of iron daily. To lower iron storage i need to keep intake of heme iron very low. If you donate blood regularly then 2 mg from meat is not a big deal.

Dutchie

Haagendazendiane said:
Mittir,

I can't believe people find it hard to consuming enough proteine.
Most cheeses contain between 20-25grams of proteine per 100grams. 100grams really isn't much slices or blocks of cheese,so unless you don't eat cheese I think you can pretty fast hit that target or go higher. Or am I seeing something wrong here? :s

J

j.

Dutchie said:

Adding a some gelatin to coffee has helped me to increase my protein intake.

HDD

Dutchie said:
Haagendazendiane said:
Mittir,

Most cheeses contain between 20-25grams of proteine per 100grams. 100grams really isn't much slices or blocks of cheese,so unless you don't eat cheese I think you can pretty fast hit that target or go higher. Or am I seeing something wrong here? :s

I could easily eat enough cheese to reach the minimum of 80 grams. The problem is keeping calories and fat down so I don't continue to gain weight.

J

j.

Haagendazendiane said:
I could easily eat enough cheese to reach the minimum of 80 grams. The problem is keeping calories and fat down so I don't continue to gain weight.

In the past, when cheese was my main source of protein, I visited the restroom less.

4peatssake

j. said:
Haagendazendiane said:

In the past, when cheese was my main source of protein, I visited the restroom less.
:rolling I can't do cheese as a main source of protein either.

John Eels

Coffee inhibits about 50% of iron. You still have 2 mg out of 4 mg of iron from 100 grams of beef.
Beef liver has about 5 mg of iron per 100 grams. Body uses about 1 to 2 mg of iron daily. To lower iron storage i need to keep intake of heme iron very low. If you donate blood regularly then 2 mg from meat is not a big deal.
@Mittir
That's interesting. Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it. I realize why you eat your liver in small portions divided over the week instead of once a week in one meal. How do you prepare the liver? Do you freeze it? I'd like to adopt your method.

Now, I wonder how Danny Roddy keeps his iron intake low when he eats a can of oyster everyday (per 100g Oyster one finds 7mg Iron). Will supplemental Aspirin be enough aside of Coffee? Or what else would you suggest besides phlebotomy?

Do you meet your copper requirements with the liver?

John Eels

@Mittir
I eat small piece of liver (half oz to 1 oz piece) with each meal until i reach 4 oz.
Soak liver in salt water or milk for few hours before you coo
I see you mentioned it here. How do you prepare a batch for one week? How would go about that? Do you prepare the liver every day?

Mittir

@John Eels
Now i make a batch of 4 oz and eat it for 2-3 days. I tried cooking 2-3 times a week too.
I get a better kick from lightly cooking the fresh one. I get my liver from butcher.
Tried all kind of recipes, now i simply fry in butter after soaking in milk or salt water for 4-6 hours,
sometimes more.salt water = add 1 tsp salt in 1-2 glass of water.
I am trying to make the process as simple as possible so it does not feel like a burden.
4 oz of beef liver provides RDA of copper for 6 days. Chicken liver is very low in copper.

A correction.I forgot to add that only a 15-30 percent of heme-iron is absorbed depending on many
factors, including iron level. So, coffee inhibits 50 percent of that absorption, not on whole 4 mg.
Tea is a better inhibitor of iron, about 65 percent, calcium also inhibits iron absorption.
I read that Danny Roddy was donating blood to reduce iron.

HDD

RP - Iron destroys vitamin E, so a supplement should be taken. Not at the same time as the iron- rich meal is eaten. 100 mg is adequate, but our requirements increase with age due to stores of iron.

Dutchie

Kv
j. said:
Haagendazendiane said:

i seem to be having that problem too with eating couple of slices of hard cheese. I wonder if this diet actually migth make your digestive abillities weaker...

Back
Top Bottom