Chris Kresser Talks Absolute Nonsense

yerrag

What can we do about it though? How can members help this forum return to its roots?

I'm not sure what @Aaron has contributed to this forum to make it less of the garbage he claims it to be becoming. It's just easier to curse the darkness, isn't it? Sure, it isn't perfect. There are many people who aren't seeing themselves being cured of their condition, but the flip side of that is probably what isn't noticed. It's that people aren't getting worse either, as they're being kept from falling over the edge by misinformation and propaganda.

Healing is also a learning process, by the body and by the mind. The forum isn't going to act as a substitute for your mind. The collective here isn't going to go mind-meld on you and give you all the answers you look for. It doesn't claim to. It just enables you to open your mind to seeing things differently, to make your question and to search for answers. You're going to get plenty of wrong answers, and there will be right answers, and if the answers are not there, it points you to where you can look further. How you progress in your healing is how you make use of all the answers and leads presented to you. Are you reading the links or are you waiting for somebody else to summarize them for you. Is TLDR your way of doing things? Do you read to understand and internalize what you read? Are you able to put things together from what you discover, and synthesize them to what becomes useful and appropriate and relevant to your context?

Healing is a process. It isn't instant. If you can't take this process, it would be better to go see a doctor and let them fix you up. See how that goes. And when you come back, you'll still be welcome.

tara

This forum seems to be pretty active and busy and I don't see any suffering as is stated above. I've already read some advice I didn't know and I've been working with alternative health for going on 30 yrs. But I certainly don't agree with everything Ray Peat offers.
Do you mean you've read advice from forum members or advice from Peat? If you haven't noticed that there can be a difference, you illustrate the potential for confusion.
Many people here jump on the 'oxidants are good, antioxidants are bad' bandwagon.
Where are all these many people? I don't know if I've come across them yet.

Aaron

I'm not sure what @Aaron has contributed to this forum to make it less of the garbage he claims it to be becoming. It's just easier to curse the darkness, isn't it? Sure, it isn't perfect. There are many people who aren't seeing themselves being cured of their condition, but the flip side of that is probably what isn't noticed. It's that people aren't getting worse either, as they're being kept from falling over the edge by misinformation and propaganda.

Healing is also a learning process, by the body and by the mind. The forum isn't going to act as a substitute for your mind. The collective here isn't going to go mind-meld on you and give you all the answers you look for. It doesn't claim to. It just enables you to open your mind to seeing things differently, to make your question and to search for answers. You're going to get plenty of wrong answers, and there will be right answers, and if the answers are not there, it points you to where you can look further. How you progress in your healing is how you make use of all the answers and leads presented to you. Are you reading the links or are you waiting for somebody else to summarize them for you. Is TLDR your way of doing things? Do you read to understand and internalize what you read? Are you able to put things together from what you discover, and synthesize them to what becomes useful and appropriate and relevant to your context?

Healing is a process. It isn't instant. If you can't take this process, it would be better to go see a doctor and let them fix you up. See how that goes. And when you come back, you'll still be welcome.

I am a shameless leech here. But the members who make/made this forum special were very well-read before trying to disseminate information to thousands of people, and I appreciate that. Undercooked info does more damage than good.

yerrag

I am a shameless leech here. But the members who make/made this forum special were very well-read before trying to disseminate information to thousands of people, and I appreciate that. Undercooked info does more damage than good.
There's always room for improvement, both you and me, and the forum in general.

There is a wealth of information on this forum from current and past members, and while some members like haidut aren't as active anymore, their contributions have not been expunged from the site, and they continue to provide a valuable resource. A few rudimentary search on this site will yield you answers that you normally won't find with Google.

I get that you prefer information that is well-researched and well-referenced, and new posts of that kind have been more scarce lately. Haidut has done a lot of research and had been more free to share that research. It is possible that the gold rush is over, and that it's harder to find a new vein of gold. I'm willing to accept that as a possibility.

But that gold is in the archives, and members can easily tap into that gold. Long-time members have become more familiar with the ideas of Peat and have applied these principles to their own lives. They have also realized that a lot of theory has to be vetted in their own personal experience, and have been sharing their own discoveries as they go. It enriches this store of information.

There is also a lot here that isn't coming from Peat's own research, but shares the same spirit of not being dogmatic and authoritarian, with the same critical approach to solving health problems.

By many measures, this forum is improving. I look forward to hearing more successes in our journey to health. And I hope you do too.

Dave Clark

Do you mean you've read advice from forum members or advice from Peat? If you haven't noticed that there can be a difference, you illustrate the potential for confusion.

Where are all these many people? I don't know if I've come across them yet.
There are threads here, if I am not mistaken, by Obiwan, for one, that talk about it, and I have read that talk from the forum scientists as well. They're here.

Amazoniac

There's always room for improvement, both you and me, and the forum in general.

There is a wealth of information on this forum from current and past members, and while some members like haidut aren't as active anymore, their contributions have not been expunged from the site, and they continue to provide a valuable resource. A few rudimentary search on this site will yield you answers that you normally won't find with Google.

I get that you prefer information that is well-researched and well-referenced, and new posts of that kind have been more scarce lately. Haidut has done a lot of research and had been more free to share that research. It is possible that the gold rush is over, and that it's harder to find a new vein of gold. I'm willing to accept that as a possibility.

But that gold is in the archives, and members can easily tap into that gold. Long-time members have become more familiar with the ideas of Peat and have applied these principles to their own lives. They have also realized that a lot of theory has to be vetted in their own personal experience, and have been sharing their own discoveries as they go. It enriches this store of information.

There is also a lot here that isn't coming from Peat's own research, but shares the same spirit of not being dogmatic and authoritarian, with the same critical approach to solving health problems.

By many measures, this forum is improving. I look forward to hearing more successes in our journey to health. And I hope you do too.
I suggest the criticizers to stop feeding on science news websites for a while, where the material has been predigested by someone else, and rather go straight to the source to appreciate the effort in every step until the information gets to them. This applies to Raj's articles as well, skip to the references. In doing so, they'll understand why they think that the forum has been sinking.

The idea of gold rush makes sense because the initial phase was characterized by discovering his work (it was scattered, today we has articles, interviews, email exchanges, all organized and easily-accessible), then a second phase of consolidating the ideas (when a lot of Jorge's main products and stereotyping appeared, including the imbecilizing charts), and now we're venturing into unknown territories, where progress is slower (as it was for him, because that's what he has put together in decades) and difficulties are expected, the person has to be naive to believe otherwise; there's speculation, doubt, trial and error.

The possibilities have been expanding as well, because it's easy to find a simplified model being oversimplified, and those who propose it likely had their situation sorted; you have to be foolish to insist on something that's not working because it's supposed to instead of seeking alternatives. In reality we know that things are complex and the supercentenarians' thread proves this.

'It depends' annoys because it requires the person's judgement and (prior to that) the acceptance of the conditional nature. Wowever, if you're after the sense of security and control, rehashing Raj's work with daily new threads on how PUFAs are bad will do it.

Trabisord had remarkable posts and various of them don't get the visibility that they deserve for not hitting the reward system, they wasn't formated as breaking news, and it shows that people want more than the information. Jorge can do both, he's exempt.

What was exciting isn't anymore, we either repeat his work indefinitely or try to expand it.

My attention lately has been on how to use substances since it's easy these days to find what helps and what doesn't for a given condition, the challenging part is making them work in a sustainable way.

When I used to visit the forum without being a member and for a while after becoming one, I was impressed by people's knowledge, there were precise nutrient dosing recommendations, directions on what should be eaten or removed from diet concluded from a paragraph of history, knowing the steroid hormones profile and what are the deficiencies, there were technical terms thrown around, and so on. Over time, I started to realize that most people have no clue about what they're posting and are just as ignorant as I am without leaving hints of uncertainty. There are beasts, but they're exceptions.
It relates to the subject because once again it's beyond the information, they want to be lead by someone that appears to have it all sorted.

As a contradiction, you find the same people at times praising how a child learns, but it requires processing the information with a minimum of preconceived notions and deciding what to take and what to leave afterwards, the clear-cut model that they seek loses importance here. For example, the rigid's reaction to an article the challenges the ideas is to reject it immediately or at best screen for errors; it's not possible to start from scratch every time, but it's to give the benefit of doubt.

- Unpredictability, Learning, And The Helpless State

Edit: toxic length, should've been regulated as drugs.

Last edited:

mangoes

At least 2018's theme of members rubbing vitamins on their ballsacks was somewhat interesting.

lmaooo I remember that and then when someone asked Peat about putting DMSO there he replied something like “I couldn’t think of a worse place to put it”

yerrag

Amazoniac

yerrag

yerrag, are you aware of the possibility of adding '#page=1' after the PDF link to direct gurus to a specific page? I'm asking because you find linking videos with time useful and the only "person" that I've witnessed doing this on the forum is Jennifer.
That can be done? Do I put #page=1 before or after the link?