Chris Kresser Says Fructose Is Treated As A Toxin In Body?

yoshiesque

I am quoting this from his website:

If we were meant to consume fructose in large amounts, then the body wouldn’t treat it as a toxin (i.e. shunt directly to the liver and store as fat to remove it from circulation). Glucose is an entirely different story, since it’s rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and is a critical ingredient in energy production (ATP). We can live without fructose, but we can’t live without glucose.

Unlike glucose, which is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and taken up by the cells, fructose is shunted directly to the liver where it is converted to fat. Excess fructose consumption causes a condition called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which is directly linked to both diabetes and obesity.

And if I can look at the two major things that ive changed that has given me abnormal LFT (GGT&ALT) which is likely to be fatty liver - it would have to be that ive added lots of sugars, in form of fructose and glucose.....and more saturated fats. I did overeat too coz i gained about 5-6kg

okay so im not saying fructose is bad, just want to know what arguments/research has gone against what CK said.

Thanks!

OP
Y

yoshiesque

okay wow he is doing a complete 180 on his previous article! haha

so much for acupuncturists trying to be doctors.

tara