Choosing the right air filter - Why most air filters on the market are DANGEROUS

xeliex

Forum Supporter
So it is good if we use it the low settings? I mean I need to filter the air because my room is in the corner of the building with no window outside so it's even worse if I don't turn it on. Air feels stuck.
I don't think anyone is certain. Filtering the air reduces other harmful contaminants but increases the relative endotoxin concentration. How physiologically significant one vs the other is, I don't know.

Some central air systems claim to also filter out endotoxin, but I haven't seen anything marketed as such.

I've experimented with hepa filters on and off in my bedroom and living room and see zero difference. In the past, Hepa filters had helped me stop terrible sneezing fits.

I've kept a Hepa in the basement and now running air ionizers in the living and sleeping spaces.

I cannot perceive any differences.

jdrop

Nothing but positives since installing Rheem halo units. One child was borderline asthmatic but the fear of that is long gone. Major improvements in breathing have happened since then. Child also has better self selection of food, which helps as well, but we turned a big corner after changing hvac tech. We also use an electrostatic filter that we wash out.

Sometimes I will also run an ozone machine in the basement in summer when we step out, when the outside temps are in range to potentially allow mold growth. In combination with a dehumidifier, our basement seems to keep good conditions, keep in mind the basement is not hooked up to the hvac system so only some air down there gets cycled through. The temps down there self regulate so it's never heated or cooled by machine.

rayban

Nothing but positives since installing Rheem halo units. One child was borderline asthmatic but the fear of that is long gone. Major improvements in breathing have happened since then. Child also has better self selection of food, which helps as well, but we turned a big corner after changing hvac tech. We also use an electrostatic filter that we wash out.

Sometimes I will also run an ozone machine in the basement in summer when we step out, when the outside temps are in range to potentially allow mold growth. In combination with a dehumidifier, our basement seems to keep good conditions, keep in mind the basement is not hooked up to the hvac system so only some air down there gets cycled through. The temps down there self regulate so it's never heated or cooled by machine.
UV can generate ozone thats why I bought a purifier with a HEPA filter only. But now HEPA is also bad so what can you use.

:M :B.

I feel like you HAVE TO run the furnace with a filter installed because it's so gross to powerfully blow air around the house. All the furnace ducts collect lots of dust regardless of what you do.

Ray is right again. Using light bulbs to heat your space is better than the forced air furnace.

This thread really makes me want to live in a house with some style of radient heat. Then all i would have to do is keep clean surfaces in the house then my air would be pretty good.

rayban

I feel like you HAVE TO run the furnace with a filter installed because it's so gross to powerfully blow air around the house. All the furnace ducts collect lots of dust regardless of what you do.

Ray is right again. Using light bulbs to heat your space is better than the forced air furnace.

This thread really makes me want to live in a house with some style of radient heat. Then all i would have to do is keep clean surfaces in the house then my air would be pretty good.
And how do you eat a house with only lightbulbs?

And how do you eat a house with only lightbulbs?
heating your space with lightbulbs. the high watt bulbs on tripods or whatever while you are sitting on the couch or working in the kitchen. it totally heats the space. I did this last winter and found that I could keep the whole house cooler and use the furnace less because the spaces that I use are warm from the lights.

Amazon product ASIN B07F186P3GView: https://www.amazon.com/Wein-Vortex-VI-3500-IONIC-PURIFIER/dp/B07F186P3G

This is a negative ion generator that Danny mentioned when talking with Ray...maybe back in December.

-Quietly cleanse the air in any room with the Vortex VI-3500 Ionic Air Purifier from Wein. The VI-3500 begins to work immediately once plugged in, alternating between "on" and "off" cycles. When on, a stream of 3.4 trillion ions per second is released into the air. The air purifier is engineered to release them in a vortex pattern that simulates the natural airflow of a room. The negatively charged ions then bind to the positive ions in the dust, mold spores, pollen, smoke, viruses, bacteria, fumes, odors, and allergens. Once in the "off" cycle, these bound particles fall to the purifier's foam collector pad or harmlessly to the floor, to be removed when you next vacuum.-

I'm not sure exactly what to make of this but check out what it has done:
image0-4.jpeg
image1-2.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Last edited:
I have noticed a great improvement during allergy season with indoor air filters. You just have to change the filters before they get really dirty. They don’t solve allergies because I still go outside, but they make it a lot more comfortable.

jdrop

UV can generate ozone thats why I bought a purifier with a HEPA filter only. But now HEPA is also bad so what can you use.
I run the ozone in an area where the air is not forced through the main system, just a few times a year. The uv in the Rheem system does generate ozone in small amounts.

I use the electrostatic filters.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
So how do you guys rate my purifier?

Should I keep using it or what? i run it on quiet mode on and off a couple hours throught the day.
I don't think anyone knows for sure. The concentration of endotoxin to bacteria might be higher in the room with a purifier. Whether this is preferable to having more bacteria to endotoxin ratio in the air or not, I don't know.

I've tried to live with or without them and have seen zero changes.

I've gotten the newer version ionizer of the one that Ray Peat's source recommended. I have tu on all day, but it's an ionizer not a Hepa filter.

rayban

I don't think anyone knows for sure. The concentration of endotoxin to bacteria might be higher in the room with a purifier. Whether this is preferable to having more bacteria to endotoxin ratio in the air or not, I don't know.

I've tried to live with or without them and have seen zero changes.

I've gotten the newer version ionizer of the one that Ray Peat's source recommended. I have tu on all day, but it's an ionizer not a Hepa filter.
ionizer can emit ozone, so thats probably worse than some endotoxins. For now I just run it from time to time.

xeliex

Forum Supporter

That's the newer model that Peat's trusted source recommended. No ozone is ever sensed from it. I am familiar with ozone and my other uv air sanitizer emits it faintly (retired it).
I have this ionizer also and I get a very very faint ozone smell but ONLY if I am inhaling the stream of air from the emitter, like the thing is almost up my nostril. I have used ozone machines for cleaning and that stuff is potent. This ionizer gives a fresh feel to a room. When I first got it I noticed it made my room feel like a forest or like when you're driving and everything sucks, death towers everywhere, concrete, and then you pass through a section of forest and trees and roll the window down and get that fresh relaxing sensations.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I have this ionizer also and I get a very very faint ozone smell but ONLY if I am inhaling the stream of air from the emitter, like the thing is almost up my nostril. I have used ozone machines for cleaning and that stuff is potent. This ionizer gives a fresh feel to a room. When I first got it I noticed it made my room feel like a forest or like when you're driving and everything sucks, death towers everywhere, concrete, and then you pass through a section of forest and trees and roll the window down and get that fresh relaxing sensations.
Nice ☺
Agreed.
I clean the tip of the antenna when it starts making faint white noise.

rayban

That's the newer model that Peat's trusted source recommended. No ozone is ever sensed from it. I am familiar with ozone and my other uv air sanitizer emits it faintly (retired it).
Well if it emits some ozone even if a tiny amount its a problem since my room has poor ventilation so it could build up.

How does ray peat use this?

Also I just feel like haidut will eventually make a thread about how ionizers raise endotoxins in the air due a new study.

Well if it emits some ozone even if a tiny amount its a problem since my room has poor ventilation so it could build up.

How does ray peat use this?

Also I just feel like haidut will eventually make a thread about how ionizers raise endotoxins in the air due a new study.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.50.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.50.22 AM.png

rayban

View attachment 37396View attachment 37397
Is there a way to measure ozone, negative and positive ions in a room? this would make the most sense. Measure before, then measure after, then see changes. This way you test the machine. Then if you see changes, and you feel better, it could be that it is working, and would also be a way to make sure you aren't building up ozone.

Kram

So how do you guys rate my purifier?

Should I keep using it or what? i run it on quiet mode on and off a couple hours throught the day.
I was going to buy one of these but reviews on Amazon say it emits a ton of EMF...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals